Between Science and Nature: Interpreting Lactation Failure in Elizabeth von Arnim's The Pastor's Wife
- Bernice L. Hausman
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Interpreting a scene of lactation failure allows us to represent breast-feeding as a contested social practice. This essay reads a novelistic scene of lactation failure in the context of the decline of breast-feeding in the twentieth century. The protagonist's ignorance of the “female” experiences of pregnancy, childbirth, and lactation is an effect of her objectification within the opposition between “science” and “nature.” “Unnatural” as a woman because she is a “natural” individual, the “pastor's wife” exemplifies the dilemmas of breast-feeding as a biosocial practice of maternity in a technological society which features the breakdown of traditional female networks in which knowledge about maternity and breast-feeding are circulated.
- Apple, R. D. (1987). Mothers and medicine: A social history of infant feeding, 1890–1950. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- Baumslag, N. & Michels, D. L. (1995). Milk, money and madness: The culture and politics of breastfeeding. Westport, Ct.: Bergin and Garvey.
- Blum, L. M. (1993). Mothers, babies, and breastfeeding in late capitalist America: The shifting contexts of feminist theory. Feminist Studies, 19, 291–312.
- Butler, J. (1993). Bodies that matter: On the discursive limits of “sex.” New York: Routledge.
- De Charms, L. (1958). Elizabeth of the German garden. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Dettwyler, K. A. (1995a). Beauty and the breast: The cultural context of breastfeeding in the United States. In P. Stuart-Macadam & K. A. Dettwyler (Eds.), Breastfeeding: Biocultural perspectives (pp. 167–215). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Dettwyler, K. A. (1995b). A time to wean: The hominid blueprint for the natural age of weaning in modern human populations. In P. Stuart-Macadam & K. A. Dettwyler (Eds.), Breastfeeding: Biocultural perspectives (pp. 39–73). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Fildes, V. (1995). The culture and biology of breastfeeding: An historical review of western Europe. In P. Stuart-Macadam & K. A. Dettwyler (Eds.), Breastfeeding: Biocultural perspectives (pp. 101–26). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Hausman, B. L. (1995). Changing sex: Transsexualism, technology, and the idea of gender. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Jelliffe, D. B. & Jelliffe, E. F. P. (1978). Human milk in the modern world: Psychosocial, nutritional, and economic significance. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- La Leche League International. (1997). The womanly art of breastfeeding (6th ed.). Schaumburg, IL: Author.
- McCarthy, M. (1963). The group. New York: Harcourt, Brace, and World.
- Pompilio, N. (1996, November 18). In New Jersey, second thoughts on breast-feeding. The Philadelphia Inquirer, pp. A1, A7.
- Poovey, M. (1986). “Scenes of an indelicate character”: The medical “treatment” of Victorian women. Representations, 14, 137–168.
- Tamaro, J. (1996). So that's what they're for: Breastfeeding basics. Holbrook, MA: Adams Media Corp.
- Usborne, K. (1986). Elizabeth: The author of Elizabeth and her German Garden. London: Bodley Head.
- Von Arnim, E. (1993). The pastor's wife. London: J. M. Dent-Everyman's Library.
- Woodbridge, M. W. (1995). Baby-controlled breastfeeding: Biocultural implications. In P. Stuart-Macadam & K. A. Dettwyler (Eds.), Breastfeeding: Biocultural perspectives (pp. 217–42). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Wollstonecraft, M. (1792/1975). Vindication of the rights of woman. Penguin Classics, Harmonds-worth, UK.
- Yalom, M. (1997). A history of the breast. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Between Science and Nature: Interpreting Lactation Failure in Elizabeth von Arnim's The Pastor's Wife
Journal of Medical Humanities
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 101-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. English Department, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, 24061-0112