Antiangiogenic properties of a sulfated galactan isolated from a marine green alga, Codium cylindricum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An anticoagulant sulfated galactan isolated from the marine green alga, Codium cylindricum, was shown to have antiangiogeinic activity. This galactan suppressed microvessel formation in an ex vivo serum-free matrix culture model using rat aortic ring. It also inhibited human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC) tube formation on reconstituted basement membrane gel. These results show the value of algal sulfated galactans in the design of antiangiogenic agents.
- Dubois M., Gilles K.A., Hamilton J.K., Rebers P.A. and Smith F. 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analyt. Chem. 28: 350–356.
- Folkman J. 1995. Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease. Nat. Med. 1: 27–31.
- Hahnenberger R. and Jakobson A. 1991. Antiangiogenic effect of sulphated and nonsulphated glycosaminoglycans and polysaccharides in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane. Glycoconjugate J. 8: 350–353.
- Hoffman R., Paper D.H., Donaldson J., Alban S. and Franz G. 1995. Characterisation of a laminarin sulphate which inhibits basic fibroblast growth factor binding and endothelial cell proliferation. J. Cell Sci. 108: 3591–3598.
- Hoffman R., Paper D.H., Donaldson J. and Vogl H. 1996. Inhibition of angiogenesis and murine tumor growth by laminarin sulphate. Br. J. Cancer 73: 1183–1186.
- Kawasaki S., Mori M. and Awai M. 1989. Capillary growth of rat aortic segments cultured in collagen gel without serum. Acta Pathol. Jpn. 39: 712–718.
- Kleinman H.K., McGarvey M.L., Hassell J.R., Star V.L., Cannon F.B., Laurie G.W. et al. 1986. Basement membrane complexes with biological activities. Biochemistry 25: 312–318.
- Lin X.H., Buff E.M., Perrimon N. and Michelson A.M. 1999. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans are essential for FGF receptor signaling during Drosophila embryonic development. Development 126: 3715–3723.
- Matsubara K., Matsuura Y., Bacic A., Liao M.L., Hori K. and Miyazawa K. 2001. Anticoagulant properties of a sulfated galactan preparation from a marine green alga, Codium cylindricum. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 28: 395–399.
- Mori M., Sadahira Y., Kawasaki S., Hayashi T., Notohara K. and Awai M. 1988. Capillary growth from reversed rat aortic segments cultured in collagen gel. Acta Pathol. Jpn. 38: 1503–1512.
- Nangia-Makker P., Honjo Y., Sarvis R., Akahani S., Hogan V., Pienta K.J. et al. 2000. Galectin-3 induces endothelial cell morphogenesis and angiogenesis. Am. J. Pathol. 156: 899–909.
- Soeda S., Shibata Y. and Shimeno H. 1997. Inhibitory effecto of oversulfated fucoidan on tube formation by human vascular endothelial cells. Biol. pharm. Bull. 20: 1131–1135.
- Soeda S., Kozako T., Iwata K. and Shimeno H. 2000. Oversulfated fucoidan inhibits the basic fibroblast growth factor-induced tube formation by human umbilical vein endothelial cells: its possible mechanism of action. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1497: 127–134.
- Antiangiogenic properties of a sulfated galactan isolated from a marine green alga, Codium cylindricum
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 87-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Codium cylindricum
- Green alga
- Sulfated galactan
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Okayama Prefectural University, 111 Kuboki, Soja, 719-1197, Japan
- 2. Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Okayama Prefectural University, 111 Kuboki, Soja, 719-1197, Japan
- 3. Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Okayama Prefectural University, 111 Kuboki, Soja, 719-1197, Japan
- 4. Graduate School of Biosphere Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1-4-4 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, 739-8528, Japan