Ramakrishna: Mystical, Erotic, or Both?
- Alan Roland
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The lengthy psychoanalytic discourse on Ramakrishna is traced from Romain Rolland's dialogue with Freud on the spiritual to later uses of applied psychoanalysis by Sudhir Kakar, Jeffrey Masson, and Jeffrey Kripal. Basic problems in applying psychoanalysis to great spiritual figures such as Ramakrishna are illustrated through an analysis of Kripal's Kali's Child. Newer approaches to deal more adequately with the spiritual self and psychopathology are cited.
- Coltart, N., “The Practice of Psychoanalysis and Buddhism.” In Slouching toward Bethlehem. New York: Guilford Press, 1992, pp. 164–175.
- Coltart, N., “Buddhism and Psychoanalysis Revisited.” In The Baby and the Bathwater, New York: International Universities Press, 1996, pp. 125–140.
- Cooper, P. “Affects and Self States: A Case Study on the Integration of Buddhist Analytic Meditation and Psychoanalysis.” Unpublished paper, 1996.
- Cooper, P., “The Disavowal of the Spirit: Wholeness and Integration in Buddhism and Psychoanalysis.” In Psychoanalysis and Buddhism. New York: Farrar Straus, 1998.
- Finn, M., “Transitional Space and Tibetan Buddhism: The Object Relations of Meditation.” In Object Relations Theory and Religious Experience, ed. M. Finn and J. Gartner. New York: Praeger, 1992.
- Freud, S., Civilization and Its Discontents. Standard Edition. 21:pp.64–148. London: Hogarth Press, 1953.
- Kakar, S., The Inner World: A Psychoanalytic Study of Childhood and Society in India. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Kakar, S., Intimate Relations: Exploring Indian Sexuality. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1989.
- Kakar, S., The Analyst and the Mystic: Psychoanalytic Reflections on Religion and Mysticism. New Delhi: Viking-Penguin, India, 1991.
- Kripal, J.J., Kali's Child: The Mystical and the Erotic in the Life and Teachings of Ramakrishna. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1995.
- Masson, J., The Oceanic Feeling: The Origins of Religious Sentiment in Ancient India. Dordrecht, Holland: D. Reidel, 1980.
- Roland, A., In Search of Self in India and Japan: Toward a Cross-Cultural Psychology. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1988.
- Roland, A., Cultural Pluralism and Psychoanalysis: The Asian and North American Experience. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- Rubin, J., Psychotherapy and Buddhism: Toward an Integration. New York: Plenum Press, 1996.
- Suler, J., Contemporary Psychoanalysis and Eastern Thought. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1993.
- Swami Atmajnanananda, “Scandals, Cover-ups, and Other Imagined Occurrences in the Life of Ramakrishna: An Examination of Jeffrey Kripal's Kali's Child. Unpublished paper, 1997.
- Ramakrishna: Mystical, Erotic, or Both?
Journal of Religion and Health
Volume 37, Issue 1 , pp 31-36
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links