Importance of Human Needs During Retrospective Peacetime and the Persian Gulf War: Mideastern Employees
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the importance of needs during the retrospective peacetime in 1990 and the Persian Gulf War in 1991 using a sample of 378 employees in the Middle East. Results of factor analyses identified three levels of needs during peacetime and wartime. Factor structures of needs did change from peacetime to wartime and were different. The patterns of needs identified in this study were different from needs theories developed in the U.S. Results were discussed in light of cultural differences, available resources in the environment, and the Persian Gulf War.
- Alderfer, C. P. (1969). A new theory of human needs. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 4, 142–175.
- Ali, A., & Al-Shakhis, M. (1985). Managerial value systems for working in Saudi Arabia: An empirical investigation. Group & Organization Studies, 10, 135–151.
- Ali, A., & Al-Shakhis, M. (1987). Hierarchy of needs among school administrators in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Social Psychology, 127, 183–189.
- Argyris, C. (1957). Personality and organization. New York: Harper.
- Badawy, M. K. (1980). Styles of Mideastern managers. California Management Review, 12(2), 51–58.
- Barrett, G. V., & Bass, B. M. (1976). Cross-cultural issues in industrial and organizational psychology. In M. D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Bhagat, R. S., & McQuaid, S. J. (1982). Role of subjective culture in organization: A review and direction for future research. Journal of Applied Psychology, 67, 653–685.
- Brislin, R. W. (1980). Translation and content analysis of oral and written material. In H. C. Triandis & J. W. Berry (Eds.), Handbook of cross-cultural psychology, Vol 2: Methodology (pp. 349–444). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Buera, A., & Glueck, F. (1979). The need satisfactions of managers in Libya. Management International Review, 19, 113–121.
- Flowers, V. S., Hughes, C. L., Myers, M., & Myers, S. (1975). Managerial values for working: An AMA survey report. New York: ANACOM.
- Herzberg, F. (1987a). One more time: How do you motivate employees? Harvard Business Review, 65(5), 109–120.
- Herzberg, F. (September 21, 1987b). Workers' needs: The same around the world. Industrial Week, 29–30, 32.
- Herzberg, F., Mausner, B., & Snyderman, B. (1959). The motivation to work. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Hobfoll, S. E., London, P., & Orr, E. (1988). Mastery, intimacy, and stress resistance during war. Journal of Community Psychology, 16, 317–331.
- Hobfoll, S. E., Spielberger, C. D., Breznitz, S., Figley, C., Folkman, S., Lepper-Green, B., Meichenbaum, D., Milgram, N. A., Sandler, I., Sarason, I., & van der Kolk, B. (1991). War-related stress: Addressing the stress of war and other traumatic events. American Psychologist, 46, 848–855.
- Hofstede, G. (1980). Cultures' consequences: International differences in work-related values. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Howard, G. S., & Dailey, P. R. (1979). Response-shift bias: A source of contamination of self-report measures. Journal of Applied Psychology, 64, 144–150.
- Ivancevich, J. M. (1969). Perceived need satisfactions of domestic versus overseas managers. Journal of Applied Psychology, 53, 274–278.
- Lacayo, R. (February 4, 1991). A war against the earth: Torching oil wells and disgorging crude into the gulf, Saddam makes the planet his latest victim. Time, 32–33.
- Lawler, E. E. (1973). Motivation in work organizations. Monterey, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
- Lawler, E. E., & Suttle, J. L. (1972). A causal correlational test of the need hierarchy concept. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 7, 265–287.
- Maslow, A. H. (1954). Motivation and personality. New York: Harper.
- Maslow, A. H. (1968). Toward a psychology of being (2nd ed.). Princeton, NJ: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Maslow, A. H. (1970). Motivation and personality (2nd ed.). New York: Harper and Row.
- Nevis, E. (1983). Using an American perspective in understanding another culture: Toward a hierarchy of needs for the People's Republic of China. Journal of Applied Behavior Science, 19(3), 149–264.
- Pinder, C. C. (1984). Work motivation: Theory, issues, and applications. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman and Co.
- Porter, L. W. (1961). A study of perceived need satisfactions in bottom and middle management jobs. Journal of Applied Psychology, 45, 1–10.
- Porter, L. W. (1962). Job attitudes in management: I. Perceived deficiencies in need fulfillment as a function of job level. Journal of Applied Psychology, 46, 375–384.
- Porter, L. W. (1963). Job attitudes in management: II. Perceived importance of needs as a function of job level. Journal of Applied Psychology, 47, 141–148.
- Reitz, H. (1975). The Relative Importance of Five Categories of Needs Among Industrial Workers in Eight Countries. Proceedings of the 35th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, pp. 270–272.
- Salancik, G. R., & Pfeffer, J. (1977). An examination of need-satisfaction models of job attitudes. Administrative Science Quarterly, 22, 427–456.
- Sirota, D., & Greenwood, J. (1971). Understanding your overseas work force. Harvard Business Review, 49(1), 53–59.
- Slocum, J. W. (1971). A comparative study of the satisfaction of American and Mexican Operatives. Academy of Management Journal, 14, 89–97.
- Szilagyi, A. D., & Wallace, M. J. (1990). Organizational behavior and performance (5th ed.). Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman/Little, Brown Higher Education.
- Tang, T. L. P., & Baumeister, R. F. (1984). Effects of personal values, perceived surveillance, and task labels on task preference: The ideology of turning play into work. Journal of Applied Psychology, 69(1), 99–105.
- Tang, T. L. P., & West W. B. (1997). The importance of human needs during peacetime, retrospective peacetime, and the Persian Gulf War. International Journal of Stress Management, 4(1), 47–62.
- Wahba, M. A., & Bridwell, L. G. (1973). Maslow Reconsidered: A Review of Research on the Need Hierarchy Theory. Proceedings of the Thirty-third Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, pp. 514–520.
- Importance of Human Needs During Retrospective Peacetime and the Persian Gulf War: Mideastern Employees
International Journal of Stress Management
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 25-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- importance of human needs
- Mideastern employees