Reconstructing 20thcentury lead pollution andsediment focusing in a peat land pool (Kempen, Belgium), via 210Pbdating
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pb-210 dating of two metal-polluted organic sedimentcores obtained near a former pyrometallurgical zinc smelter in Lommel, Belgiumhave been used to reconstruct atmospheric lead deposition rates during the20th century. Independent knowledge concerning historical pollutionevents and 137Cs fall-out profiles has allowed a criticalevaluation of the CRS, CIC and CF-CS models for the 210Pb ageinterpretation. Resulting ages for the three models suggest that, in this case,the CIC model gives the most accurate interpretation of historical pollutionevents and atmospheric lead fall-out. The 210Pbwater-sediment flux was estimated at 141–1158Bq·m−2·yr−1 for one site and62–106 Bq·m−2·yr−1 at theother site, during the last century. The large difference illustrates thatsediment focusing was important on a small spatial scale (10 m).The direction of focusing correlates with the predominant wind direction.Maximum atmospheric lead deposition rates were found to be 1.63 ± 0.59g·m−2·yr−1 around 1968 AD,which is 2 orders of magnitude larger than the Belgian average in 1980 AD, and5 orders larger than Holocene atmospheric lead deposition.
- American Bureau of Metal Statistics 1953-1983. Year book of the American Bureau of Metal Statistics. Volumes 39-53.
- Appleby P.G. and Oldfield F. 1992. Application of lead-210 to sedimentation studies. In: Ivanovich M. and Harmon R.S. (eds), Uranium-Series Disequilibrium: Applications to Earth, Marine, and Environmental Problems. Clarendon Press, pp. 731-778.
- Cauet S., Weis D. and Herbosch A. 1982. Genetic study of Belgian lead zinc mineralizations in carbonate environments through lead isotope goechemistry. Bulletin du BRGM Section II: 329-341.
- Doe B.R. and Rohrbough R. 1977. Lead Isotope Data Bank: 3,458 samples and analyses cited. United States Department of the Interior-Geological Survey, pp. 99.
- Farmer J.G., Eades L.J., Mackenzie A.B., Kirika A. and BaileyWatts T.E. 1996. Stable lead isotope record of lead pollution in Loch Lomond sediments since 1630 AD. Environmental Science & Technology 30: 3080-3083.
- Great Britain Imperial Institute 1932. The Mineral Industry of the British Empire and Foreign Countries-Statistical Summary (Production, Imports and Exports 1929-1931).
- Great Britain Imperial Institute 1948. The Mineral Industry of the British Empire and Foreign Countries-Statistical Summary (Production, Imports and Exports 1929-1931).
- Great Britain Imperial Institute 1953. The Mineral Industry of the British Empire and Foreign Countries-Statistical Summary (Production, Imports and Exports 1929-1931).
- Goldberg E.D. 1963. Geochronology with Pb-210. Radioactive dating. International Atomic Energy Agency. 121-131.
- Govindaraju K. 1989. Compilation of working values and samples descriptions for 272 geostandards. Geostandards Newsletter 13: 1-113.
- Hakanson L. and Jansson M. 1983. Principles of Lake Sedimentology. Springer-Verlag.
- IGNB 1995. Belgian National Grid.
- IHE 1990. Evaluatie van de gehalten aan zware metalen in de omgevingsiucht in Belgie. Instituut voor Hygiene en Epidemologie.
- Kennett J.P. 1982. Marine Geology. Prentice-Hall.
- Kim K.H. and Burnett W.C. 1986. Uranium-series growth history of a quaternary phosphatic crust from the Peruvian continental-margin. Chemical Geology 58: 227-244.
- Koide M., Soutar A. and Goldberg E.D. 1972. Marine geochronology with Pb-210. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 11: 407-414.
- Mining Journal-Annual Mining Review 1908-1992.
- Navarre J.L., Ronneau C. and Priest P. 1980. Deposition of heavy-elements on Belgian agricultural soils. Water Air and Soil Pollution 14: 207-213.
- Norton S.A. and Kahl J.S. 1986. Atmospheric deposition of Pb in lake sediments and peat. In: Stokes P.M. (ed.), Pathways, Cycling and Transformation of Lead in the Environment. Royal Society of Canada, pp. 97-132.
- Pearson T.H. and Rosenberg R. 1976. A comparative study on the effects of the marine environment of wastes from cellulose industries in Scotland and Sweden. Ambio 5: 77-79.
- Robbins J.A. 1978. Geochemical and geophysical applications of radioactive lead. In: Nriagu J.O. (ed.), Biogeochemistry of Lead in the Environment. Elsevier Scientific, pp. 285-393.
- Schmitz C.J. 1979. World Non-Ferrous Metal Production and Prices, 1700-1976. Frank Cass & Co.Lim.
- Shotyk W. Weiss D., Appleby P.G., Cheburkin A.K., Frei R., Gloor M. et al. 1998. History of atmospheric lead deposition since 12,370 C-14 yr BP from a peat bog, Jura Mountains, Switzerland. Science 281: 1635-1640.
- Smith I.R. and Sinclair I.J. 1972. Deep water waves in lakes. Freshwater Biology 2: 387-399.
- Sonke J.E., Hoogewerff J.A., van der Laan S.R. and Vangronsveld J. 2002. A chemical and mineralogical reconstruction of emissions from Zn-smelters in the Kempen region, Belgium, based on organic pool sediments. The Science of the Total Environment 292: 101-119.
- Vangronsveld J., Sterckx J., Vanassche F. and Clijsters H. 1995a. Rehabilitation studies on an old nonferrous waste dumping ground-effects of revegetation and metal immobilization by beringite. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 52: 221-229.
- Vangronsveld J., Vanassche F. and Clijsters H. 1995b. Reclamation of a bare industrial-area contaminated by nonferrous metals-in-situ metal immobilization and revegetation. Environmental Pollution 87: 51-59.
- Weast R.C. 1999. Handbook of Physics and Chemistry. The Chemical Rubber Co.
- Weiss D., Shotyk W, Appleby P.G., Kramers I.D. and Cheburkin A.K. 1999. Atmospheric Ph deposition since the industrial revolution recorded by five Swiss peat profiles: Enrichment factors, fluxes, isotopic composition, and sources. Environmental Science & Technology 33: 1340-1352.
- Reconstructing 20thcentury lead pollution andsediment focusing in a peat land pool (Kempen, Belgium), via 210Pbdating
Journal of Paleolimnology
Volume 29, Issue 1 , pp 95-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Atmospheric pollution
- Organic sediment
- Sediment focusing
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National High Magnetic Field Laboratory and Florida State University, Geochemistry Division, Tallahassee, Fl-32306, USA
- 2. Department of Oceanography, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fl-32306, USA
- 3. Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7UA, United Kingdom
- 4. Ceramics Research Centre, Corus RD&T, IJmuiden, The Netherlands
- 5. Limburg University Center, Environmental Biology, B3590, Diepenbeek, Belgium