Current state of the art of biphasic calcium phosphate bioceramics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have developed 15 years ago, with the collaboration of Lynch, Nery, and LeGeros in the USA, a bioactive concept based on biphasic calcium phosphate (BCP) ceramics. The concept is determined by an optimum balance of the more stable phase of HA and more soluble TCP. The material is soluble and gradually dissolves in the body, seeding new bone formation as it releases calcium and phosphate ions into the biological medium. The bioactive concept based on the dissolution/transformation processes of HA and TCP has been applied to both Bulk, Coating and Injectable Biomaterials. The events at the calcium phosphate (CaP) biomaterial/bone interface represent a dynamic process, including physico-chemical processes, crystal/proteins interactions, cells and tissue colonization, bone remodeling, finally contributing to the unique strength of such interfaces. An important literature and numerous techniques have been used for the evaluation of the fundamental physico chemical and biological performance of BCP concept. This type of artificial bone used from a long time in preclinical and in clinical trial, revealed the efficiency for bone filling, performance for bone reconstruction and efficacy for bone ingrowth at the expense of the micro macroporous BCP bioceramics.
- K. De Groot, in “Bioceramics of Calcium Phosphate” (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1983) p. 100.
- L. L. Hench, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1994) 1487.
- M. Jarcho, Clin. Orthop. 157 (1981) 259.
- G. Daculsi, J. M. Bouler and R. Z. Legeros, Int. Rev. Cytol., 172 (1996) 129.
- M. Heughebaert, R. Z. Legeros, M. Gineste and A. Guilhem, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 22 (1988) 257.
- G. Daculsi, R. Z. Legeros, E. Nery, K. Lynch and B. Kerebel, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 23 (1989) 883.
- G. Daculsi, R. Z. Legeros, M. Heugheaert and Barbieux., Calcif. Tissue Int. 46 (1990) 20.
- R. Z. Legeros, in “Calcium Phosphates in Oral Biology and Medicine”, Monographs in Oral Sciences, Vol. 15, edited by H. Myers (S. Karger, Basel, 1991).
- R. Z. Legeros and G. Daculsi, in “Handbook of Bioactive Ceramics, Calcium Phosphate and Hydroxylapatite Ceramics”, edited by T. Yamamuro, L. L. Hench and J. W. Wilson-Hench (CRC Press, Amsterdam, 1990) p. 2.
- G. Daculsi, R. Z. Legeros and D. Mitre, Calcif. Tissue Int. 45 (1989) 95.
- F. H. Albee, Ann. Surg. 71 (1920) 32.
- S. N. Bhaskar, J. M. Brady, L. Getter, M. F. Grower and T. Driskell, J. Oral Surg. 32 (1971) 336.
- E. B. Nery, K. L. Lynch, W. M. Hirthe and K. H. Mueller, J. Periodontol. 46 (1975) 328.
- G. Daculsi, R. Z. Legeros and C. Deudon, Scan. Micr. 4 (1990) 309.
- L. L. Hench, R. J. Splinter, W. C. Allen and T. K. Greelee, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 2 (1971) 117.
- H. Yuan, K. Kurashina, D. Joost De Bruijn, Y. Li, K. De Groot and X. Zhang, Biomaterials 20 (1999) 1799.
- O. Malard, O. Gautier, P. Bordure and G. Daculsi, in “Proceedings of EMBEC 02 Vienna” (December, 2002) (in press).
- R. Z. Legeros, Adv. Dent. Res. 2 (1988) 164.
- R. Z. Legeros, J. P. Legeros, G. Daculsi and R. Kijkowska, in “Encyclopedic Handbook of Biomaterials and Bioengineering”, Part A: Materials, Vol. 2, edited by D. L. Wise et al. (M. Dekker Inc., New York, 1995) p. 1429.
- G. Daculsi, Biomaterials, 19 (1998) 1473.
- W. Bonfield, in “Bioceramics: Materials Characteristics Versus In Vivo Behavior”, edited by P. Ducheyne and J. E. Lemons Ann. NY. Acad. Sci. 523 (1988) 173.
- P. Ducheyne, M. Marcolongco and E. Schepers, in “An Introduction to Bioceramics”, edited by L. L. Hench and J. Wilson (World Scientific Publishers, London, 1993) p. 281.
- B. R. Constanz, I. C. Ison, M. T. Fulmer, R. D. Poser, S. T. Smith, M. Vanwagoner, J. Ross and S. A. Goldstein, Science 267 (1995) 1796.
- G. Daculsi, P. Weiss, J. M. Bouler, O. Gauthier and E. Aguado, Bone 25 (1999) 59.
- F. Millot, G. Grimandi, P. Weiss and G. Daculsi, Cells Mater. 9 (1999) 21.
- G. Daculsi, P. Weiss, J. Delecrin, G. Grimandi, N. Passuti and F. Guerin, Composition pour biomatériau -procédé de préparation, Patent No 94-01-414 1994235 (1994).
- Current state of the art of biphasic calcium phosphate bioceramics
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 195-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors