Micro macroporous biphasic ceramics and fibrin sealant as a moldable material for bone reconstruction in chronic otitis media surgery. A 15 years experience
Bone reconstruction is still a matter of concern in middle ear surgery despite the large number of surgical techniques proposed. Combination of biphasic calcium phosphate bioceramics with human fibrin sealant forms a moldable material easy to apply for bone reconstruction. Since 1986, we have been using this composite for reconstruction of mastoid cavities during chronic otitis media surgery. Granules of ceramic provide immediate mechanical stability and later on, promote osseoinduction when fibrin sealant forms a strong bond between granules enhancing the wound healing process. After checking feasibility, efficacy and tolerance through a controled study on dogs by filling mastoid cavities, we started a clinical series comprising yet 66 mastoid reconstructions. A retrospective data analysis on 63 patients with an average follow up of 42 months including 12 histological controls confirms the stability of bone reconstruction with a remarkable tolerance of the skin in contact. Biopsies confirmed progressive replacement of material by lamellar newly formed bone. Mastoid cavities have a randomed shape making complex bone reconstruction procedure and their filling by the composite constitutes an easy way and represents a highly satisfactory procedure. The authors considered that this should be explored in other indications of bone surgery.
- M. Portmann, “Traité de technique chirurgicale ORL et cervico-faciale” (Masson, Paris, 1986) p. 223.
- T. Palva, Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 77 (1963) 570.
- M. Tos, Clin. Otolaryngol. 3 (1978) 255.
- R. Perkins, Laryngoscope 86 (1976) 416.
- M. Gersdorff, D. Franceschi, M. Bagot D'Arc, A. Dhem and G. Daculsi, in “Transplants and Implants in Otology”, edited by G. Babighian and H. Feldmann (Kugler Pub., Amsterdam, 1988) p. 69.
- H. L. Wullstein, S. R. Wullstein, K. Köster and H. Heide, in “Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Head and Neck”, The International Symposium, Rehabilitative Surgery 2 (Verlag Grune & Stratton, New York, 1981) p. 354.
- D. S. Metseger, T. D. Driskell and J. R. Paulstrud, J. Am. Dent. 105 (1982) 1035.
- M. Jarcho, Clin. Orthop. 157 (1981) 259.
- J. F. Osborn, J. Bioeng. 1 (1980) 108.
- C. P. Klein, A. A. Driessen, K. De Groot and A. Van Der Hoof, J. Biomed. Mater. 17 (1983) 769.
- O. Gauthier, J.-M. Bouler, E. Aguado, P. Pilet and G. Daculsi, Biomaterials 19(1–3) (1998) 133.
- G. Daculsi, N. Passuti, S. Martin, C. Deudon, R. Z. Legeros and S. Raher, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 24 (1990) 379.
- E. Nery, R. Z. Legeros and K. L. Lynch, J. Periodontol. 63 (1992) 729.
- R. Z. Legeros and G. Daculsi, in “Handbook of Bioactive Ceramics”, edited by T. Yamamuro et al. (CRC Press, 1991).
- R. Z. Legeros, Adv. Dent. Res. 2 (1988) 164.
- N. Passuti, G. Daculsi, J. M. Rogez, S. Martin and J. V. Bainvel, Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 67 (1990) 234.
- B. Zederfeldt, in “Fibrin Sealing in Surgical and Nonsurgical Fields: Wound Healing -Vol. 1”, edited by G. Schlag and H. Redl (Springer-Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg, 1994) p. 18.
- M.-F. Harmand, D. Michel and M. Bagot D'Arc, in “Fibrin Sealing in Surgical and non-Surgical Fields”, edited by G. Schlag (Springer Pub., Heidelberg, 1994) p. 52.
- G. Schlag, H. Redl, M. Turnher and H. P. Dinges, in “Fibrin sealant in operative medicine”, Vol 1. edited by G. Schlag and H. Redl (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1986) p. 3.
- M. Bagot D'Arc, P. Corlieu and G. Daculsi, in “Transplants and Implants in Otology”, edited by N. Yanagihara and J. Suzuki (Kugler, Amsterdam, 1992) p. 145.
- M. Bagot D'Arc and G. Daculsi, in “Proceedings of the XXth European Congress of ENT”, edited by Monduzzi (Berlin, 2000).
- G. Daculsi, M. Bagot D'Arc, P. Corlieu and M. Gersdorff, Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 101(8) (1992) 669.
- P. J. Corlieu and M. Bagot D'Arc, Transpl. Impl. Otol. II 1(5) (1992) 147.
- A. W. Blayney, J. P. Erre, A. Dhem and Y. Cazals, Interfaces Med. Mech. 13 (1987) 34.
- Micro macroporous biphasic ceramics and fibrin sealant as a moldable material for bone reconstruction in chronic otitis media surgery. A 15 years experience
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 229-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors