Self-Reported Delinquent Behavior and Psychosocial Functioning in Inner-City Teenagers: A Brief Report
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Evaluated psychosocial characteristics of inner-city ninth graders exceeding a cutoff for clinically significant delinquent behaviors (n = 27), as compared to youth whose self-reported delinquent behaviors fell below this cutoff (n = 136). Youth reporting high levels of delinquent behavior reported more life stress, depression and anxiety, lower self-concept, and less cohesive families than other students. Females reporting high levels of delinquent behavior were more likely to have poor classroom and school attendance than other females; this relationship did not hold for males.
- Greenwood PW: Substance abuse problems among high-risk youth and potential interventions. Crime & Delinq 38:444–458, 1992.
- Rhodes JE, Jason LA: A social stress model of substance abuse. J Cons Clin Psych 58:395–401, 1990.
- Prothrow-Stith D: Deadly consequences: How violence is destroying our teenage population and a plan to begin solving the problem. New York: Harper Collins, 1991.
- Durant RH, Pendergrast RA, Cadenhead C: Exposure to violence and victimization and fighting behavior by urban Black adolescents. J Adol Health 15:311–318, 1994.
- Peeples F, Loeber R: Do individual factors and neighborhood context explain ethnic differences in juvenile delinquency? J Quant Criminol 10:141–157, 1994.
- Sampson RJ, Laub JH: Urban poverty and the family context of delinquency: A new look at structure and process in a classic study. Child Dev 65:523–54, 1994.
- Borduin CM, Pruitt JA, Henggeler, SW: Family interactions in Black, lower-class families with delinquent and nondelinquent adolescent boys. J. Genetic Psych 147:333–342, 1996.
- Elliot DS, Voss HL: Explaining delinquency and drug use. London: Sage Publications, 1985.
- Achenbach TM: Manual for the Youth Self-Report and 1991 Profile. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry, 1991.
- McConaughy SH, Achenbach TM: Comorbidity of empirically based syndromes in matched general population and clinical samples. J Child Psych & Psychia 35:1141–1157, 1994.
- Achenbach TM, Howell CT, McConaughy SH, et al: Six-year predictors of problems in a national sample of children and youth: I. Cross-informant syndromes. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychia 34:336–347, 1995.
- Compas BE, Davis GE, Forsythe CJ, et al: Assessment of major and daily stressful events during adolescence: The Adolescent Perceived Events Scale. J Cons Clin Psych 55:534–541, 1987.
- Reynolds, WM: Reynolds Adolescent Depression Scale Professional Manual. New York: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc., 1987.
- Reynolds CR, Richmond BO: “What I think and feel”: A revised measure of children's manifest anxiety. J Ab Child Psych 6:271–280, 1978.
- Spielberger CD, Gonzalez HP, Taylor CJ, et al: Test Attitude Inventory Manual. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1977.
- Ollendick TH: Reliability and validity of the Revised Fear Survey Schedule for Children. Beh Res & Therapy 21:685–692, 1983.
- Harter S: Manual for the Self-Perception Profile for Adolescents. Denver: University of Denver, 1988.
- Olson D, Portner J, Bell R: FACES II. In D. Olson et al (Eds.), Family Inventories. St Paul: Family Social Science, 1982.
- Pekarik EG, Prinz RJ, Liebert DE, et al: The Pupil Evaluation Inventory: A sociometric technique for assessing children's social behavior. J Ab Child Psych 4:83–97, 1976.
- Rutter, M: Psychosocial resilience and protective mechanisms. Am J Orthopsy 57:316–331, 1987.
- Roff JD, Wirt RD: The specificity of childhood problem behavior for adolescent and young adult maladjustment. J Clin Psych 41:564–570, 1985.
- West DJ, Farrington, DP: The delinquent way of life. London: Heinemann Educational Books, 1977.
- Giordano PC, Cernkovich SA: Friendships and delinquency. Am J Sociol 91: 1170–1202, 1986.
- Self-Reported Delinquent Behavior and Psychosocial Functioning in Inner-City Teenagers: A Brief Report
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 28, Issue 4 , pp 241-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Urban Youth
- School Attendance
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 21201-1549
- 2. University of Maryland School of Medicine, USA
- 3. Towson State University, USA
- 4. University of Georgia, USA