Comparing the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire and the Child Behavior Checklist: Is Small Beautiful?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) is a brief behavioral screening questionnaire that can be completed in 5 minutes by the parents or teachers of children aged 4 to 16; there is a self-report version for 11- to 16-year-olds. In this study, mothers completed the SDQ and the Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL) on 132 children aged 4 through 7 and drawn from psychiatric and dental clinics. Scores from the SDQ and CBCL were highly correlated and equally able to discriminate psychiatric from dental cases. As judged against a semistructured interview, the SDQ was significantly better than the CBCL at detecting inattention and hyperactivity, and at least as good at detecting internalizing and externalizing problems. Mothers of low-risk children were twice as likely to prefer the SDQ.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991) Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/4–18 and 1991 profile. University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry, Burlington
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991) Manual for the Teacher's Report Form and 1991 profile. University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry, Burlington
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991) Manual for the Youth Self-Report. University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry, Burlington
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Author, Washington, DC
- Bentler, P. M. (1989) EQS: Structural equations mannual. BMPP Statistical Software, Inc., Los Angeles
- Berg, I., Lucas, C., McGuire, R. (1992) Measurement of behaviour difficulties in children using standard scales administered to mothers by computer: Reliability and validity. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 1: pp. 14-23
- Caron, C., Rutter, M. (1991) Comorbidity in child psychopathology: Concepts, issues and research strategies. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 32: pp. 1063-1080
- Dunn, G, Everitt, B., Pickles, A. (1993) Modelling covariances and latent variables using EQS. Chapman & Hall, London, England
- Elander, J., Rutter, M. (1996) Use and development of the Rutter parents' and teachers' scales. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research 6: pp. 63-78
- Fombonne, E. (1989) The Child Behavior Checklist and the Rutter Parental Questionnaire: A comparison between two screening instruments. Psychological Medicine 19: pp. 777-785
- Goodman, R. (1997) The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: A research note. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 38: pp. 581-586
- Goodman, R. (in press). The extended version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire as a guide to child psychiatric caseness and consequent burden. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Goodman, R., Meltzer, H., Bailey, V. (1998) The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: A pilot study of the validity of the self-report version. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 7: pp. 125-130
- Hanley, J. A., McNeil, B. J. (1983) A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology 148: pp. 839-843
- Rutter, M., Tizard, J., Whitmore, K. (1970) Education, health and behaviour. Longman, London, England
- Smedje, H., Broman, J.-E., Hetta, J. & von Knorring, A.-L. (in press). Psychometric properties of a Swedish version of the “Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire.” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Streiner, D. L., Norman, G. R. (1989) Health measurement scales. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England
- Taylor, E., Sandberg, S., Thorley, G., Giles, S. (1991) The epidemiology of childhood hyperactivity. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England
- Taylor, E., Schacher, R., Thorley, G., Wieselberg, M. (1986) Conduct disorder and hyperactivity: I. Separation of hyperactivity and antisocial conduct in British child psychiatric patients. British Journal of Psychiatry 149: pp. 760-767
- The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: Diagnostic criteria for research. Author, Geneva, Switzerland
- Comparing the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire and the Child Behavior Checklist: Is Small Beautiful?
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 27, Issue 1 , pp 17-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Child psychopathology
- prosocial behavior
- Industry Sectors