Electrochemical Etching of a Niobium Film through a Thin Nanomask Formed by AFM Tip-Induced Local Oxidation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The anodic-dissolution etching of niobium through a thin anodic-oxide mask is studied experimentally. The electrolyte is an aqueous buffer solution of ammonium fluoride. It is established that the etch rate of niobium is higher than that of the oxide by a few orders of magnitude if the surface potential is 1–1.5 V. It is shown that etching under the stated conditions with a mask formed by AFM tip-induced local oxidation enables one to make nanostructures from niobium epitaxial films of thickness up to over 50 nm.
- Nyffenegger, R.M. and Penner, R.M., Nanometer-Scale Surface Modification Using the Scanning Probe Microscope: Progress since 1991, Chem. Rev., 1997, vol. 97, no.4, pp. 1195–1230.
- Sugimura, H. and Nakagiri, N., Scanning Probe Anodization: Nanolithography Using Thin Films of Anodically Oxidizable Materials as Resists, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A, 1996, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1223–1227.
- Avouris, P., Hertel, T., and Martel, R., Atomic Force Microscope Tip-Induced Local Oxidation of Silicon: Kinetics, Mechanism, and Nanofabrication, Appl. Phys. Lett., 1997, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 285–287.
- Okada, Y., Amano, S., Kawabe, M., et al., Nanoscale Oxidation of GaAs-Based Semiconductors Using Atomic Force Microscope, J. Appl. Phys., 1998, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1844–1847.
- Golov, E.F., Mikhailov, G.M., Red'kin, A.N., and Fioshko, A.M., Probe Nanolithography on Amorphous Hydrogenated Carbon Films, Mikroelektronika, 1998,vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 97–102.
- Martel, R., Schmidt, T., Sandstrom, R.L., and Avouris, P., Current-Induced Nanochemistry: Local Oxidation of Thin Metal Films, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A, 1999, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 1451–1456.
- Red'kin, A.N., Malikov, I.V., Malyarevich, L.V., Chernykh, A.V., and Mikhailov, G.M., Nanoscale Patterning of Refractory-Metal Films by Local Oxidation with a Conducting AFM Probe, in Vserossiiskii seminar “Nanochastitsy i nanokhimiya,” tezisy dokladov (Natl. Workshop on Nanoparticles and Nanochemistry, Abstracts of Papers), Chernogolovka, Moscow oblast, Russia, 2000, p. 79.
- Shirakashi, J., Ishii, M., Matsumoto, K., et al., Surface Modification of Niobium (Nb) by Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) Nano-Oxidation Process, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Part 2, 1996, vol. 35, no. 11B, pp. L1524-L1527.
- Snow, E.S. and Campbell, P.M., AFM Fabrication of Sub-10-Nanometer Metal-Oxide Devices with In-Situ Control of Electrical Properties, Science, 1995, vol. 270, pp. 1639–1641.
- Shirakashi, J., Matsumoto, K., Miura, N., et al., Single-Electron Transistors (SETs) with Nb/Nb Oxide System Fabricated by Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) Nano-Oxidation Process, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Part 2, 1997, vol. 36, no. 9AB, pp. L1257-L1260.
- Snow, E.S., Campbell, P.M., and McMarr, P.J., AFM-Based Fabrication of Free-Standing Si Nanostructures, Nanotechnology, 1996, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 434–437.
- Electrochemical Etching of a Niobium Film through a Thin Nanomask Formed by AFM Tip-Induced Local Oxidation
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 88-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors