The Influence of Distress on Mothers' and Fathers' Reports of Childhood Emotional and Behavioral Problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the effect of parental distress on mothers' and fathers' reports of children's emotional and behavioral problems. The subjects were the parents of 696 children aged 10 to 11 or 14 to 15 years living in two-parent families in the community. The study utilized an extended version of the model previously employed by Fergusson, Lynskey, and Horwood (1993) to examine the impact of maternal depression on mothers' reports of children's behavior. In the present study, the extended model was used to assess the impact of distress on reports of childhood externalizing and internalizing problems obtained from both mothers and fathers. The results suggested that distress had little influence on mothers' or fathers' reports of childhood behavior problems. It is concluded that in community studies the size of any bias in mothers' and fathers' reports of childhood behavior problems due to parental distress is likely to be very small and of little clinical significance.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991a). Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/4-18 and 1991 Profile. Burlington: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991b). Manual for the Youth Self-Report and 1991 Profile. Burlington: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.
- Achenbach, T. M., McConaughy, S. H., & Howell, C. T. (1987). Child/adolescent behavioral and emotional problems: Implications of cross-informant correlations for situational specificity. Psychological Bulletin, 101, 213–232.
- Arbuckle, J. L. (1997), Amos users' guide version 3.6. Chicago: SPSS Inc.
- Breslau, N., Davis, G. C., & Prabucki, K. (1988). Depressed mothers as informants in family history research: Are they accurate? Psychiatry Research, 24, 345–359.
- Briggs-Gowan, M. J., Carter, A. S., & Schwab-Stone, M. (1996). Discrepancies among mother, child and teacher reports: Examining the contributions of maternal depression and anxiety. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 24, 749–765.
- Burvill, P. W., & Knuiman, M. W. (1983). Which version of the general health questionnaire should be used in community studies? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 17, 237–242.
- Derogatis, L. R., Rickels, K., Uhlenhuth, E. H., & Covi, L. (1974). The Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSCL): A measure of primary symptom dimensions. In P. Pichot (Ed.), Psychological measurements in psychopharmacology: Modern problems in pharmacopsychiatry (pp. 79–110). Basel, Switzerland: Karger
- Dillman, D. A. (1978). Mail and telephone surveys: The total design method. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Edelbrock, C., Costello, A. J., Dulcan, M. K., Kalas, R., & Conover, N. C. (1985). Age differences in the reliability of the psychiatric interview of the child. Child Development, 56, 265–275.
- Edelbrock, C., Costello, A. J., Dulcan, M. K., Conover, N. C., & Kalas, R. (1986). Parent-child agreement on child psychiatric symptoms assessed via structured interview. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 181–190.
- Fergusson, D. M., Lynskey, M. T., & Horwood, L. J. (1993). The effect of maternal depression on maternal ratings of child behavior. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 21, 245–269.
- Forehand, R., Brody, G., & Smith K. (1986). Contributions of child behavior and marital dissatisfaction to maternal perceptions of child maladjustment. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 24, 43–48.
- Forehand, R., Lautenschlager, G. J., Faust, J., & Graziano, W. G. (1986). Case histories and shorter communications. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 24, 73–75.
- Goldberg, D. P., Rickels, K., Downing, R., & Hesbacher, P. (1976). A comparison of two psychiatric screening tests. British Journal of Psychiatry, 129, 61–67.
- Goldberg, D. (1978). Manual of the General Health Questionnaire. Windsor, Berkshire, England: Nfer-Nelson.
- Herjanic, B., & Reich, W. (1982). Development of a structured psychiatric interview for children: Agreement between child and parent on individual symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 10, 307–324.
- Jensen, P. S., Traylor, J., Xenakis, S. N., & Davis, H. (1988). Child distress rating scales and interrater agreement: I. Parents' gender and psychiatric symptoms. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 27, 442–450.
- Lobitz, G. K., & Johnson, S. M. (1975). Normal versus deviant children: A multimethod comparison. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 3, 353–374.
- Moretti, M. M., Fine, S., Haley, G., & Marriage, K. (1985). Childhood and adolescent depression: Child-report versus parent-report information. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 24, 298–302.
- Richters, J., & Pellegrini, D. (1989). Depressed mothers' judgements about their children: An examination of the depression-distortion hypothesis. Child Development, 60, 1068–1075.
- Sawyer, M. G., Sarris, A., Baghurst, P. A., Cornish, C. A., & Kalucy, R. S. (1990). The prevalence of emotional and behavior disorders and patterns of service utilization in children and adolescents. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 24, 323–330.
- Schaughency, E. A., & Lahey, B. B. (1985). Mothers' and fathers' perceptions of child deviance: Roles of child behavior, parental depression, and marital satisfaction. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 53, 718–723.
- Tennant, C. (1977). The General Health Questionnaire: A valid index of psychological impairment in Australian populations. Medical Journal of Australia, 2, 392–394.
- Weissman, M. M., Wickramaratne, P., Warner, V., John, K., Prusoff, B. A., Merikangas, K. R., & Gammon, G. D. (1987). Assessing psychiatric disorders in children. Archives of General Psychiatry, 44, 747–753.
- The Influence of Distress on Mothers' and Fathers' Reports of Childhood Emotional and Behavioral Problems
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 407-414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- parent distress
- emotional and behavioral problems
- Industry Sectors