Treatment of Young Children's Bedtime Refusal and Nighttime Wakings: A Comparison of “Standard” and Graduated Ignoring Procedures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Young children with sleep problems received either “standard” or graduated ignoring treatment. Both brief treatments were superior to a wait-list control condition and resulted in comparable improvements in bedtime and nighttime sleep problems. At bedtime, the treatments did not differ with respect to maternal compliance and stress. For nighttime wakings, mothers in the graduated ignoring group reported higher rates of compliance and less treatment-related stress. Maternal characteristics predicted treatment outcome in the standard ignoring condition. Following treatment, only positive side effects were observed. When compared to the wait-list group, mothers in the standard ignoring group reported less verbose discipline and decreased stress in parenting, while mothers in the graduated ignoring group reported improved parent–child relationships. Treatment gains were maintained over a 2-month follow-up period.
- Abidin, R. (1990). The Parenting Stress Index—short form. Charlottesville, VA: Pediatric Psychology Press.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1992). Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/2–3 and 1992 Profile. Burlington: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.
- Adair R., Bauchner, H., Philipp, B., Levenson, S., & Zuckerman, B. (1991). Night waking during infancy: Role of parental presence at bedtime. Pediatrics, 87, 500–504.
- Adams, L. A., & Rickert, V. I. (1989). Reducing bedtime tantrums: Comparison between positive routines and graduated extinction. Pediatrics, 84, 756–761.
- Arnold, D. S., O'Leary, S. G., Wolff, L. S., & Acker, M. M. (1993). The Parenting Scale: A measure of dysfunctional parenting in discipline situations. Psychological Assessment, 5, 137–144.
- Bax, M. C. O. (1980). Sleep disturbance in the young child. British Medical Journal, 10, 1177–1179.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., & Garbin, M. G. (1988). Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clinical Psychology Review, 8, 77–100.
- Blurton Jones, N., Rossetti Ferreira, M. C., Farquar Brown, M., & Macdonald, L. (1978). The association between perinatal factors and later night wakings. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 20, 427–434.
- Chadez, L. H., & Nurius, P. S. (1987). Stopping bedtime crying: Treating the child and the parents. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 16, 212–217.
- Cohen, J. (1977). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (rev. ed.). New York: Academic Press.
- Crockenberg, S., & Litman, C. (1990). Autonomy as competence in 2–year-olds; Maternal correlates of child defiance, compliance, and self-assertion. Developmental Psychology, 26, 961–997.
- Deater-Deckard, K., & Scarr, S. (1996). Parenting stress among dual-earner mothers and fathers: Are there gender differences? Journal of Family Psychology, 10, 45–59.
- Durand, V. M., & Mindell, J. A. (1990). Behavioral treatment of multiple childhood sleep disorders. Behavior Modification, 14, 37–49.
- Ferber, R. (1985). Solve your child's sleep problems. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- France, K. G. (1992). Behavior characteristics and security in sleep-disturbed infants treated with extinction. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 17, 467–475.
- France, K. G., & Hudson, S. M. (1990). Behavior management of infant sleep disturbance. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 23, 91–98.
- Jacobson, N. S., Elwood, R. W., & Dallas, M. (1981). Assessment of marital dysfunction. In D. Barlow (Ed.). Behavioral assessment of adult disorders. New York: Guilford Press.
- Jenkins, S., Bax, J., & Hart, H. (1980). Behavior problems in preschool children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 21, 5–17.
- Jones, D. P. H., & Verduyn, C. M. (1983). Behavioral management of sleep problems. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 58, 442–444.
- Kataria, S., Swanson, M. S., & Trevathan, G. E. (1987). Persistence of sleep disturbance in preschool children. Behavioral Pediatrics, 110, 642–646.
- Kuczynski, L. (1984). Socialization goals and mother-child interation: Strategies for long-term and short-term compliance. Developmental Psychology, 20, 1061–1073.
- Lawton, G., France, K. G., & Blampied, N. M. (1991). Treatment of infant sleep disturbance by graduated extinction. Child and Family Behavior Therapy, 13, 39–56.
- Lozoff, B., Wolff, A. W., & Davis, N. S. (1985). Sleep problems seen in pediatric practice. Pediatrics, 75, 477–483.
- Mindell, J. A., & Durand, V. M. (1993). Treatment of childhood sleep disorders: Generalization across disorders and effects on family members. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 18, 731–750.
- Pritchard, A., & Appleton, P. (1988). Management of sleep problems in preschool children: Effects of a behavioral program on sleep routines, maternal depression and perceived control. Early Childhood Development and Care, 34, 227–240.
- Reynolds, W. M., & Gould, S. W. (1981). A psychometric investigation of the “standard” and short form Beck Depression Inventory. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 49, 306–307.
- Richman, N. (1981). A community survey of characteristics of one-to two-year-olds with sleep disruptions. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 20, 281–291.
- Richman, N., Douglas, J., Hunt., H., Lansdown, R., & Levere, R. (1985). Behavioral methods in the treatment of sleep disorders: A pilot study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 26, 581–590.
- Rickert, V. I., & Johnson, M. (1988). Reducing nocturnal awakening and crying episodes in infants and young children: A comparison between scheduled awakenings and systematic ignoring. Pediatrics, 81, 203–212.
- Rolider, A., & Van Houten, R. (1984). Training parents to use extinction to eliminate nighttime crying by gradually increasing the criteria for ignoring crying. Education and Treatment of Children, 7, 119–124.
- Seymour, F. W. (1987). Parent management of sleep difficulties in young children. Behavior Change, 4, 39–48.
- Seymour, F. W., Bayfield, G., Brock, P., & During, M. (1983). Management of night waking in young children. Australian Journal of Family Therapy, 4, 217–223.
- Seymour, F. W., Brock, M. D., During, M., & Poole, G. (1989). Reducing sleep disruptions in young children: Evaluation of therapist-guided and written information approaches: A brief report. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 30, 913–918.
- Scott, G., & Richards, M. P. M. (1990). Night waking in infants: Effects of providing advice and support for parents. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 31, 551–567.
- Spanier, G. B. (1976). Measuring dyadic adjustment: New scales for assessing the quality of marriage and similar dyads. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 38, 15–28.
- Williams, C. D. (1959). The elimination of tantrum behavior by extinction procedures. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 59, 269.
- Treatment of Young Children's Bedtime Refusal and Nighttime Wakings: A Comparison of “Standard” and Graduated Ignoring Procedures
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 27, Issue 1 , pp 5-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bedtime refusal
- night wakings
- young children
- sleep treatment
- Industry Sectors