Preimplantation Diagnosis of Common Aneuploidies by the First- and Second-Polar Body FISH Analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: A low pregnancy rate in in vitro fertilization (IVF) patients of advanced maternal age may be caused by aneuploidies originating from non disjunction in the first or second meiotic divisions. We introduced genetic testing of oocytes by sampling and fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) analysis of the first and second polar bodies, to avoid fertilization and transfer of aneuploid oocytes in IVF patients of advanced maternal age.
Methods: Three hundred and sixty-three IVF patients 34 years and older participated in the study. Using micromanipulation procedures, the first and second polar bodies were removed following their extrusion from the oocytes and studied by FISH, using probes specific for chromosomes 13, 18, and 21 to detect oocytes with common aneuploidies.
Results: Of a total of 538 IVF cycles, 3250 oocytes were available for FISH analysis, with conclusive FISH results in 2742 oocytes (84.3%). As many as 1102 (40%) of oocytes were predicted to be aneuploid and not transferred. Of 1640 embryos predicted to be normal, 1145 were transferred in 467 treatment cycles, resulting in 107 pregnancies (23%), from which 67 healthy children have been born, 32 pregnancies spontaneously aborted, and 15pregnancies are ongoing after being confirmed normal by prenatal diagnosis.
Conclusions: Preimplantation diagnosis by first- and second-polar body FISH analysis allows us to avoid the age-related risk of common aneuploidies in IVF patients of advanced maternal age.
- Verlinsky Y, Kuliev A (eds): Preimplantation Diagnosis of Genetic Diseases: A New Technique for Assisted Reproduction. New York Willy Liss, 1994
- Dyban A, Fredine M, Severova E, Ivakhnenko V, Verlinsky Y: Detection of aneuploidy in human oocytes and corresponding first polar bodies by FISH, J Assist Reprod Genet 1995;13:73-78
- Verlinsky Y, Cieslak J, Freidine M, Ivakhnenko V, Wolf G, Kovalinskaya L, et al.: Pregnancies following pre-conception diagnosis of common aneuploidies by fluorescent in-situ hybridization. Hum Reprod 1995;10:1923-1927
- Verlinsky Y, Cieslak J, Freidine M, Ivakhnenko V, Wolf G, Kovalinskaya L, et al.: Polar body diagnosis of common aneuploidies by fluorescent in-situ hybridization. Assist Reprod Genet 1995;13:157-162
- Verlinsky Y, Cieslak J, Freidine M, Ivakhnenko V, Wolf G: Birth of healthy children after preimplantation diagnosis of common aneuploidies by polar body fluorescent in-situ hybridization. Fertil Steril 1996;66:126-129
- Battaglia DE, Goodwin P, Klein NA, Soules MR: Influence of maternal age on meiotic spindle assembly in oocytes from naturally cycling women. Hum Reprod 1996;11:2217-2222
- Preimplantation Diagnosis of Common Aneuploidies by the First- and Second-Polar Body FISH Analysis
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 285-289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- preimplantation diagnosis
- first polar body
- second polar body
- fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) chromosome 13-, 18-, and 21 specific probes
- chromatid errors
- common aneuploidies
- Industry Sectors