Implantation Metastasis along the Stereotactic Biopsy Tract in Anaplastic Astrocytoma: A Case Report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective and importance: Stereotactic biopsy for brain lesion is usually a safe procedure and the reported rate of complication is minimal. Moreover, local seeding along the trajectory of the stereotactic biopsy is a rare complication. The authors report a case of metastatic implantation along the trajectory of the stereotactic biopsy in anaplastic astrocytoma.
Clinical presentation: A 64-Year-old man who presented with a one-month history of speech and memory disturbance underwent magnetic resonance (MR) imaging that disclosed a large mass in the left basal ganglia and medial temporal region.
Intervention: Under the impression of high-grade glioma, computed tomography guided stereotactic biopsy was performed using the Riechert–Mundinger system. The histologic diagnosis was anaplastic astrocytoma. MR images after two cycles of chemotherapy showed a small enhancing portion in the middle of the biopsy tract, which was considered a surgical artifact and not included in the field of the following conventional fractionated radiation therapy. MR images three months after the completion of radiation therapy revealed that the enhancing portion had become a larger mass irrespective of good control of the primary tumor.
Conclusion: Our findings suggest that tumor seeding along the stereotactic biopsy trajectory must be considered if an enhancing lesion appears in the MR image following the stereotactic biopsy. The cause and the prevention of implantation metastasis along the stereotactic biopsy tract are also discussed.
- Barloon, TJ, Yuh, WT, Sato, Y, Sickels, WJ (1988) Frontal lobe implantation of craniopharyngioma by repeated needle aspirations. AJNR 9: pp. 406-407
- Perrin, RG, Bernstein, M (1998) Iatrogenic seeding of anaplastic astrocytoma following stereotactic biopsy. J Neuro-Oncol 36: pp. 243-246
- Pierallini, A, Caramia, F, Piattella, MC, Pantano, P, Santoro, A, Di Stefano, D, Bozzalo, L (1999) Metastasis along the stereotactic biopsy trajectory in glioblastoma multiforme. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 141: pp. 1011-1012
- Roa, WH, Kim, D, Halls, SB, Murray, B (1999) Implantation metastasis of primary central nervous system lymphoma complicating radiotherapy outcome. Am J Clin Oncol 22: pp. 29-31
- Rosenfeld, JV, Murphy, MA, Chow, CW (1990) Implantation metastasis of pineoblastoma after stereotactic biopsy. J Neurosurg 73: pp. 287-290
- Apuzzo, ML, Chandrasoma, PT, Cohen, D, Zee, CS, Zelman, V (1987) Computed imaging stereotaxy: experience and perspective related to 500 procedures applied to brain masses. Neurosurgery 20: pp. 930-937
- Bernstein, M. P., arrent, AG (1994) Complications of CT-guided stereotactic biopsy of intra-axial brain lesions. J Neurosurg 81: pp. 165-168
- Lunsford, LD, Martinez, AJ (1984) Stereotactic exploration of the brain in the era of computed tomography. Surg Neurol 22: pp. 222-230
- Ashraf, R, Bentley, RC, Awan, A. M., clendon, RE, Ragozzino, MW (1997) Implantation metastasis of primary malignant rhabdoid tumor of the brain in an adult (one case report). Med Pediatr Oncol 28: pp. 223-227
- Karlsson, B, Ericson, K, Kihlström, L, Grane, P (1997) Tumor seeding following stereotactic biopsy of brain metastases. J Neurosurg 87: pp. 327-330
- Ogilvy, CS, Moayeri, N, Golden, JA (1993) Appearance of a cavernous hemangioma in the cerebral cortex after a biopsy of a deeper lesion. Neurosurgery 33: pp. 307-309
- Ryd, W. H., agmar, B, Eriksson, O (1983) Local tumour cell seeding by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. A semiquantitative study. Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand 91: pp. 17-21
- Southam, CM, Brunschwig, A (1961) Quantitative studies of autotransplantation of human cancer. Cancer 14: pp. 971-978
- Roussel, F, Nouvet, G (1995) Evaluation of large-needle biopsy for the diagnosis of cancer. Acta Cytol 39: pp. 449-452
- Glasgow, BJ, Brown, HH, Zargoza, AM, Foos, RY (1988) Quantitation of tumor seeding from fine needle aspiration of ocular melanomas. Am J Ophthalmol 105: pp. 538-546
- Implantation Metastasis along the Stereotactic Biopsy Tract in Anaplastic Astrocytoma: A Case Report
Journal of Neuro-Oncology
Volume 61, Issue 3 , pp 215-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- anaplastic astrocytoma
- stereotactic biopsy
- Industry Sectors