Normal Fluid Velocity Profile and Transition from T-1 to T-2 State of Superfluid Turbulence
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It has been known for many years that in a circular counterflow pipe there exist two different states of turbulence of helium II: the T-1 state, which appears at low values of heat flux, and the T-2 state, which appears suddenly at higher heat flux and is characterized by a much higher density of quantized vortex lines. Until now the nature of the two turbulent states has been a mystery. To understand this problem we have addressed the issue of the velocity profile of the normal fluid and its stability. The computed critical heat flux of the transition from the T-1 state to the T-2 state is found to be in good agreement with the observations. The result indicates that in the T-1 state the superfluid is turbulent but the normal fluid is still laminar. The T-1 to T-2 transition corresponds to the onset of normal fluid turbulence.
- J.T. Tough, in Progress in Low Temperature Physics, Vol. VIII, ed. D.F. Brewer, (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982), page 133.
- W.F. Vinen, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 240, 114 (1957); 240, 128 (1957); 242, 493 (1957) and 243, 400 (1957).
- K.W. Schwarz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 283 (1982); Phys. Rev. B 31, 5782 (1985) and 38, 2398 (1988); Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 259 (1993).
- D.D. Awschalom, F.P. Milliken and K.W. Schwarz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 1372 (1984).
- L.B. Opatowsky and J.T. Tough, Phys. Rev. B 24, 5420 (1981).
- D.J. Melotte, Ph.D. thesis, University of Newcastle (1998).
- R, G. K. Aarts and A.T.A.M. deWaele, Phys. Rev. B 50, 10069 (1994).
- D.C. Samuels, Phys. Rev. B 46, 11714 (1992).
- C.F. Barenghi, D.C. Samuels, G.H. Bauer and R.J. Donnelly, Phys. Fluids 9, 2631 (1997).
- C.F. Barenghi, R.J. Donnelly and W.F. Vinen, Low Temp. Phys. 52, 189 (1983).
- J.F. Kafkalidis, G. Klinich III and J.T. Tough, Phys. Rev. 50, 15909 (1994); G. Klinich, J.K. Kafkalidis and Tough, J. Low Temp. Phys. 107, 327 (1997).
- C.F. Barenghi and C.A. Jones, J. Fluid Mech. 197, 551 (1988).
- D.J. Melotte and C.F. Barenghi, to be published in Phys.Rev. Letters (1998).
- D.R. Ladner, R.K. Childers and J.T. Tough, Phys. Rev. B 13, 2918 (1976).
- K.P. Martin and J.T. Tough, Phys. Rev. B 27, 2788 (1981).
- M.P. de Goeje & H. van Beelen, Physica B 133 109 (1985).
- G. Marees & H. van Beelen, Physica B 27 2788 (1985).
- D. Griswold, C.P. Lorenson & J.T. Tough, Phys. Rev. B 35 3149 (1987).
- Normal Fluid Velocity Profile and Transition from T-1 to T-2 State of Superfluid Turbulence
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 113, Issue 3-4 , pp 573-578
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors