Towards an Understanding of Ethical Behaviour in Small Firms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Allthough small business accounts for over 90% of businesses in U.K. and indeed elsewhere, they remain the largely uncharted area of ethics. There has not been any research based on the perspective of small business owners, to define what echical delemmas they face and how, if at all, they resolve them. This paper explores ethics from the perspective of small business owner, using focus groups and reports on four clearly identifiable themes of ethical delemmas; entrepreneurial activity itself, conflicts of personal values with business needs, social responsibility and the impact of owners' personality on business ethics. The mechanisms for resolving ethical dilemmas is not at all clear, as there appears to be a web of filters which are used in an inter-connected way. However a common starting point for resolving an ethical delemma which involves others is based on identifying who it is (e.g., a friend or institution) and the quality of the relationship with that person. The research yielded a rich source of material on business ethics and it is clear that future researchers must focus on this sector if business ethics is to make significant advances.
- Baumback, C. M. (1988) How to Organize and Operate a Small Business. Prentice Hall, Engelwood Cliffs
- Blake, R. B., Carroll, D. A. (1989) Ethical Reasoning in Business. Training and Development Journal 43: pp. 99-104
- Daniels, K., G. Johnson and L. deChernatony: 1963, ‘Differences in Cognitions in Competition’, British Journal of Management 5.
- Handy, C. (1990) Teach Your Children Well. Director 43: pp. 25
- Holton, R.: 1993, Firms Reveal They put Ethics Before Profits. The Independent on Sunday, 3rd January.
- Huff, A. S.: 1990, Mapping Strategic Thought (John Wiley).
- Hutchinson, A. and I. Smedley: 1993, ‘Entrepreneurs and Their Ethics’, Boardroom Agenda (Spring), 17–18.
- Jenkins, M., Harrison, K. S. (1990) Focus Groups: A Discussion. British Food Journal 92: pp. 33-37
- Kant, I.: 1978, Foundations of the Metaphysics of Morals (Translated by L. W. Beck) (Bobbs-Merrill).
- Keim, G. D.: ‘Managerial Behaviour and the Social Responsibility Debate: Goals versus Constraints, Academy of Management Journal 21, 57–68.
- Knodel, J. (1984) Using Focus Groups. International Family Planning 10: pp. 93
- Knouse, S. B., Giacalone, R. A. (1992) Ethical Decision Making in Business: Behavioral Issues and Concerns. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 369-377
- Levy, S. J.: ‘Focus Group Interviewing’, in J. B. Higginbotham and K. K. Cox (eds.), Focus Group Interviewing: A Reader (American Marketing Association, Chicago), pp. 34–42.
- Longenecker, J. G., McKinney, J. A., Moore, C. W. (1989) Ethics in Small Business. Journal of Small Business 27: pp. 27-31
- Mann, J. and G. Kreyche: 1966, Approaches to Morality (Brace & World).
- McDonald, G. M., Zepp, R. A. (1989) Business Ethics: Practical Proposals. Journal of Business Ethics 8: pp. 55-56
- Payne, S. L., Giacalone, R. A. (1990) Social Psychological Approaches to the Perception of Ethical Dilemmas. Human Relations 43: pp. 649-665
- Perry, D. (1991) Reinforcing Business Ethics in a Recession. Retail Control 59: pp. 33-36
- Ross, W. D.: 1930, The Right and the Good (Oxford University Press).
- Ryan, L. V.: 1992, Ethics and Social Responsibility in Small Firms. A Survey of U.S. Small Business Research. 15th U.K. Small Firms Policy and Research Conference (Southampton).
- Serwinek, P. J. (1992) Demographic Related Differences in Ethical Views Among Small Business. Journal of Small Business Management 11: pp. 555-566
- Sims, R. R. (1992) The Challenge of Ethical Behaviour in Organizations. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 505-513
- Stoner, C. R. (1989) The Foundations of Business Ethics: Exploring the Relationship Between Organization Culture, Moral Values and Actions. Advanced Management Journal 54: pp. 38-43
- Townley, P. (1992) Business Ethics... An Oxymoron?. Canadian Business Review 19: pp. 35-37
- Vogel, D. (1991) Business Ethics: New Perspectives on Old Problems. California Management Review 33: pp. 101-117
- Vogel, D. (1992) The Globalization of Business Ethics: Why America Remains Distinctive. California Management Review 35: pp. 30-49
- Warnock, M.: 1967, Existantialist Ethics (St. Martin's).
- Towards an Understanding of Ethical Behaviour in Small Firms
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 16, Issue 15 , pp 1625-1636
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors