A new classification scheme of science fields and subfields designed for scientometric evaluation purposes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A two-level hierarchic system of fields and subfields of the sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities is proposed. The system was specifically designed for scientometric (evaluation) purposes with the ultimate goal of classifying every single document into a well-defined category. This goal was achieved using a three-step iterative process. The basic concepts and some preliminary results are presented.
- DE BRUIN, R. E., H. F. MOED, Delimitation of scientific subfields using cognitive words from corporate addresses in scientific publications, Scientometrics, 26 (1993) 65-80. CrossRef
- GLäNZEL, W., A. SCHUBERT, H. J. CZERWON, An item-by-item subject classification of papers published in multidisciplinary and general journals using reference analysis, Scientometrics, 44 (1999) 427-439. CrossRef
- GLäNZEL, W., A. SCHUBERT, U. SCHOEPFLIN, H. J. CZERWON, An item-by-item subject classification of papers published in journals covered by the SSCI database using reference analysis, Scientometrics, 46 (1999) 431-441. CrossRef
- NARIN, F., Evaluative Scientometrics: The Use of Publication and Citation Analysis in the Evaluation of Scientific Activity, Computer Horizons, Inc., Washington, D.C., 1976.
- A new classification scheme of science fields and subfields designed for scientometric evaluation purposes
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 357-367
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors