Arachidonic Acid (AA) and Tetradecanoylphorbol Acetate (TPA) Exert Systemic Effects When Applied Topically in the Mouse
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied the systemic actions of topically applied arachidonic acid (AA) and tetradecanoylphorbol acetate (TPA) in the mouse. AA or TPA-induced ear edema, increases in vascular permeability, eicosanoid levels, neutrophil and mononuclear influx were determined in both phlogogen-treated and contralateral vehicle-treated ear of each mouse and were compared with vehicle-treated ears from control mice. Edema and vascular permeability increases appeared only in AA- or TPA-applied ears. Moreover, in contralateral ears from AA-treated mice an increase in 6-keto-PGF1α and LTB4 was found. Only LTB4 increased in the contralateral ear after TPA. Contralateral ears from AA- or TPA-treated mice also showed a significant increase in MPO levels. The increased levels of 6-keto-PGF1α but not those of LTB4 in contralateral ears were reduced by indomethacin applied simultaneously with the phlogogen. AA also increased plasma and serum levels of LTB4, but not those of 6-keto-PGF1α. In contrast, TPA increased plasma and serum levels of 6-keto-PGF1α and LTB4. The results show that both AA and TPA applied topically exert systemic effects.
- Chang, J., R. P. Carlson, L. O'Neil-Davis, B. Lamb, R. N. Sharma and A. J. Lewis 1986. Correlation between mouse skin inflammation induced by arachidonic acid and eicosanoid.
- Opas, E. E., R. J. Bonney, and J. L. Humes. 1985. Prostaglandin and leukotriene synthesis in mouse ears inflamed by arachidonic acid. J. Inv. Dermatol. 84:253–256. CrossRef
- Carlson, R. P., L. O'Neill-Davis, J. Chang, and A. J. Lewis. 1985. Modulation of mouse ear edema by cyclooxygenase and lypoxygenase inhibitors and other pharmacological agents. Agents Actions 17:197–204.
- Young, J. M., J. A. Spires, C. D. Bedford, B. Wagner, S. J. Ballron, and L. M. De Young. 1984. The mouse ear inflammatory response to topical arachidonic acid. J. Invest. Dermatol. 82:367–371. CrossRef
- Marks, F., G. Fusterberger, and E. Kowamtzki. 1981. Prostaglandin E-mediated mitogenic stimulation of mouse epidermis in vivo by divalent cation ionophore A23187 and by tumor promotor 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate. Cancer Res. 41:696–702.
- Fustenberger, G. and F. Marks. 1982. Early prostaglandin E synthesis is an obligatory event in induction of cell proliferation in mouse epidermis in vivo by phorbol ester TPA. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 92:749–756. CrossRef
- Harada, M., M. Takeuchi, T. Fukao, and K. Katagiri. 1971. A simple method for the quantitative extraction of dye extravasated into the skin. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 23:218–221.
- Schultz, J., and K. Kaminker. 1962. Myeloperoxidase of the leucocyte of human normal blood I. Content and localization. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 525:37–44.
- Bradley, P. B., D. A. Pribat, R. O. Christensen, and G. Rothstein. 1982. Measurement of cutaneous inflammation: estimation of neutrophil content with and enzyme marker. J. Invest. Dermatol. 78:206–209. CrossRef
- Bailey, P., J. A. Sturm, and B. LÓpez-Ramos. 1982. A biochemical study of the cotton-pellet granuloma in the rat. Biochem. Pharmacol. 31:1213–1218. CrossRef
- PuignerÓ, V. and J. Queralt. 1997. Effect of topically applied cyclosporin A on arachidonic acid (AA)-and tetradecanoylphorbol acetate (TPA)-induced dermal inflammation in mouse ear. Inflammation 21:357–369. CrossRef
- PuignerÓ, V., and J. Queralt. 1997. Effect of topically applied cyclooxygenase-2 selective inhibitors on arachidonic acid (AA)-and tetradecanoylphorbol acetate (TPA)-induced dermal inflammation in mouse ear. Inflammation 21:433–444.
- Jones, L. H., D. S. P. Abdalla, and J. C. Freitas. 1995. Effects of indole-3-acetic acid on croton oil-and arachidonic acid-induced mouse ear edema. Inflam. Res. 44:372–375.
- Smith, S. R., A. W. Watnick, R. W. Bryant, M. Billah, and M. I. Siegel. 1992. Actions of 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, Sch 40120, on acute inflammatory responses. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 262:721–728.
- Moreno, J. J. 1993. Effect of aristolochic acid on arachidonic acid cascade and in vivo models of inflammation. Immunopharmacol. 26:1–9. CrossRef
- Carlson, R. P., W. O'Neill-Davis, W. Calhoun, L. Datko, J. H. Musser, A. F. Kreft, and J. Y. Chang. 1989. Effect of a 5-lipoxygenase (5-LO)/cyclooxygenase (CO) inhibitor, WY-47, 288, on cutaneous models of inflammation. Agents Actions 26:319–328.
- Griswold, D. E., J. C. Marshall, J. C. Lee, E. F. Webb, L. M. Hillegass, J. Wartell, J. R. Newton, and N. Hanna. 1991. Pharmacology of the pyrroloimidazole, SK&F 105809-II. Antiinflammatory activity and inhibition of mediator production in vivo. Biochem. Pharmacol. 42:825–831. CrossRef
- Rao, T. S., J. L. Currie, A. F. Shaffer, and P. C. Isakson. 1993. Comparative evaluation of arachidonic acid (AA)-and tetradecanoylphorbol acetate (TPA)-induced dermal inflammation. Inflammation 17:723–741.
- Lloret, S., and J. J. Moreno. 1995. Effects of an anti-inflammatory peptide (antiflammin 2) on cell influx, eicosanoid biosynthesis and oedema formation by arachidonic acid and tetradecanoyl phorbol dermal application. Biochem. Pharmacol. 50:347–353. CrossRef
- Battistini, B., R. Botting, and Y. S. Bakhle. 1994. COX-1 and COX-2: toward the development of more selective NSAIDs. DN&P 7:501–512.
- Summers, J. B. 1990. Inhibitors of leukotriene biosynthesis. DN&P 3:517–526.
- Arachidonic Acid (AA) and Tetradecanoylphorbol Acetate (TPA) Exert Systemic Effects When Applied Topically in the Mouse
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 307-314
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors