Efficient Sparse LU Factorization with Left-Right Looking Strategy on Shared Memory Multiprocessors
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An efficient sparse LU factorization algorithm on popular shared memory multi-processors is presented. Pipelining parallelism is essential to achieve higher parallel efficiency and it is exploited with a left-right looking algorithm. No global barrier is used and a completely asynchronous scheduling scheme is one central point of the implementation. The algorithm has been successfully tested on SUN Enterprise, DEC AlphaServer, SGI Origin 2000 and Cray T90 and J90 parallel computers, delivering up to 2.3 GFlop/s on an eight processor DEC AlphaServer for medium-size semiconductor device simulations and structural engineering problems.
- P. Amestoy and I. Duff, Memory management issues in sparse multifrontal methods on multiprocessors, Internat. J. Supercomputer Appl., 7 (1993), pp. 64–82.
- P. Amestoy, I. Duff, and J. L'Excellent, Multifrontal parallel distributed symmetric and unsymmetric solvers, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., to appear.
- C. Ashcraft, R. Grimes, J. Lewis, B. Peyton, and H. Simon, Progress in sparse matrix methods for large linear systems on vector supercomputers, Internat. J. Supercomputer Appl., 1 (1987), pp. 10–30.
- S. Barnard and H. Simon, A fast multilevel implementation of recursive spectral bisection for partitioning unstructured problems, Tech. Rep. RNR–92–033, NASA Ames Research Center, 1994.
- J. Bunch and L. Kaufman, Some stable methods for calculating inertia and solving symmetric linear systems, Math. Comp., 31 (1977), pp. 162–179.
- M. J. Dayd´e and I. S. Duff, Level 3 BLAS in LU factorization on the CRAY-2, ETA-10P, and IBM 3090–200/VF, Int. J. Supercomputer Appl., 3 (1989), pp. 40–70.
- J. Demmel, J. Gilbert, and X. Li., An asynchronous parallel supernodal algorithm for sparse Gaussian elimination, Tech. Report CSD–97–943, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1997.
- J. Dongarra., Performance of various computers using standard linear equations software, (Linpack benchmark report), Tech. Rep.CS–89–85, Department of Computer Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 1998.
- J. Dongarra and J. Demmel, LAPACK: A portable high-performance numerical library for linear algebra, Supercomput., 8 (1991), pp. 33–38.
- J. Dongarra, J. DuCroz, I. Duff, and S. Hammarling, A set of level 3 basic linear algebra subprograms, ACM Trans. Math. Software, 16 (1990), pp. 1–28.
- I. Duff, A. Erisman, and J. K. Reid, Direct Methods for Sparse Matrices, Oxford University Press, London, 1986.
- I. Duff, R. Grimes, and J. Lewis, Users' guide for the Harwell-Boeing sparse matrix collection, release 1, Tech. Report, RAL–92–086, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot, UK, 1992.
- I. S. Duff, Multiprocessing a sparse matrix code on the Alliant FX/8, J. Comput. Appl. Math., 27 (1989), pp. 229–239.
- C. Fu, X. Jiao, and T. Yang, Efficient sparse LU factorization with partial pivoting on distributed memory architectures, IEEE Trans. Parallel Distrib. Systems, 9 (1998), pp. 109–125.
- A. Gupta, F. Gustavson, M. Joshi, G. Karypis, and V. Kumar, Design and implementation of a scalable parallel direct solver for sparse symmetric positive definite systems, in Proceedings of the Eighth SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1997.
- A. Gupta, G. Karypis, and V. Kumar, Highly scalable parallel algorithms for sparse matrix factorization, IEEE Trans. Parallel Distrib. Systems, 8 (1997), pp. 502–520.
- A. H¨ofler, Development and Application of a Model Hierchary for Silicon Process Simulation, PhD Thesis, ETH, Z¨urich, 1997.
- Integrated Systems Engineering AG, DESSIS— ISE Reference Manual, ISE Integrated Systems Engineering AG, 1998.
- Integrated Systems Engineering AG, DIOS— ISE Reference Manual, ISE Integrated Systems Engineering AG, 1998.
- G. Karypis and V. Kumar, Analysis of multilevel graph algorithms, Tech. Report MN 95–037, Department of Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1995.
- G. Karypis and V. Kumar, Multilevel algorithms for multi-constraint graph partitioning, Tech. Report MN 98–019, Department of Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1998.
- G. Karypis and V. Kumar, ParMETIS: Parallel graph partitioning library, Tech. Report, University of Minnesota, Department of Computer Science. Available via URL http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~metis/, Sept. 1998.
- R. M. L. Dagnum, OpenMP: An industry-standard API for shared-memory programming, IEEE Comput. Science Engrg., 1 (1998), pp. 46–55.
- X. Li and J. Demmel, Making sparse Gaussian elimination scalable by static pivoting, in Proceedings of the Supercomputing 98, Nov. 1998, ACM.
- X. S. Li, Sparse Gaussian Elimination on High Performance Computers, PhD Thesis, UCB//CSD–96–919, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1997.
- A. Liegmann, Efficient Solution of Large Sparse Linear Systems, PhD Thesis, ETH Z¨urich, 1995.
- J. W.-H. Liu, Modification of the minimum-degree algorithm by multiple elimination, ACM Trans. Math. Software, 11 (1985), pp. 141–153.
- J. W.-H. Liu, The role of elimination trees in sparse factorization, SIAMJ.Matrix Anal. Appl., 11 (1990), pp. 134–172.
- P. Matstoms, Parallel sparse QR factorization on shared memory architectures, Parallel Computing, 21 (1995), pp. 473–486.
- E. Ng, Parallel direct solution of sparse linear systems, in Parallel Supercomputing: Methods, Algorithms and Applications, G. F. Carey, ed., John Wiley, Chichester, UK, 1989, pp. 157–176.
- E. Ng and B. Peyton, A supernodal Cholesky factorization algorithm for sharedmemory multiprocessors, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 14 (1993), pp. 761–769.
- E. Rothberg, Performance of panel and block approaches to sparse Cholesky factorization on the iPSC/860 and Paragon multicomputers, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 17 (1996), pp. 699–711.
- O. Schenk, K. G¨artner, and W. Fichtner, Scalable parallel sparse factorization with left-right looking strategy on shared memory multiprocessors, in High Performance Computing and Networking, Proceedings of 7th International Conference, HPCN Europe 1999, Amsterdam, P. Sloot, M. Bubak, A. Hoekstra, and B. Hertzberger, eds., Lecture Notes in Computational Science Vol. 1593, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999.
- O. Schenk, K. G¨artner, and W. Fichtner, A parallel sparse direct solver for large structurally symmetric linear systems and parallel multigrid methods for the continuity equations in semiconductor device simulation, Tech. Report 97/17, Integrated Systems Laboratory, ETH, Z¨urich, Switzerland, 1997.
- S. Sze, Semiconductor Devices, Physics and Technology, John Wiley, Chichester, UK, 1985.
- Efficient Sparse LU Factorization with Left-Right Looking Strategy on Shared Memory Multiprocessors
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 158-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Parallel sparse LU factorization
- asynchronous computation scheduling
- SMP parallel computing
- multigrid coarse solver
- process simulation
- device simulation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Integrated Systems Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich, ETH Zürich, CH-8092, Zürich, Switzerland.
- 2. Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics, Mohrenstr. 39, DE-10117, Berlin, Germany.
- 3. Integrated Systems Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich, ETH Zürich, CH-8092, Zürich, Switzerland.