Accountability Factors Associated with the Delivery of Mental Health Services to Children
- Gwenelle Styles O'Neal
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study describes a sample of children served in a community mental health center and identifies factors associated with the delivery of services to them. The data are from a 1993 sample. Results of the analysis indicate the number of sessions, total services and referrals are associated with the presence of treatment plans for children.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (Third Edition). Washington, D. C.: American Psychiatric Association.
- Andersen R. & Newman, J. (1973). Societal and Individual Determinants of Medical care utilization in the United States, Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly 51: 95–124.
- Bloom, B. (1992). Planned short-term psychotherapy. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Brazil, K., Cummings, R., & Vallance, D. (1993). Mental Health Needs of children and youth with learning disabilities, Evaluation and Program Planning, 16, 193–198.
- Burchard, J. & Schaefer, M. (1992). Improving Accountability in a service delivery system in children's mental health, Clinical Psychology Review, 12, 867–882.
- Clark, J., Potter, D. & McKinlay, J. (1991). Bringing social structure back into clinical decision-making. Social Science Medicine 32:853–866.
- Clark, R. (1990). Why disadvantaged children succeed. Public Welfare, September.
- Combrinck-Graham, L. (1989). Accountability in family therapy involving children. Journal of Psychology and the Family, 6,3, 9–28.
- Day, C. & Roberts, M.C. (1991). Activities of the child and adolescent service system program for improving mental health services for children and families. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 20(4), 340–350.
- Elias, M., Bruene, L., Clabby, J., Barbiere, M., & Heckelman, S. (1985). A multidisciplinary social problem solving intervention for middle school student' with behavior and learning disorders. Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities, 4, 49–75.
- England, M. & Cole, R. (1993). Discussion of use of inpatient service by a national population: Do benefits make a difference?, Journal of the Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32(1), 153–154.
- Goldstein, A.P. (1973). Structured learning therapy: Toward a psychotherapy for the poor. New York: Academic Press.
- Kutash, K. & Rivera, V.R. (1995). Effectiveness of children's mental health services: A review of the literature. Education and Treatment of Children, 18(4), 443–477.
- LeCroy, C.W. (1992). Effective mental health services for children. Social Work, 37(2), 225–230.
- Lourie, I.S. & Isaacs, M. (1988). Problems and solutions in the public sector. In Looney, J. ed. Chronic Mental Illness in Children and Adolescents, (pp. 109–130). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- McGinnis, E. & Goldstein, A. (1990). Skillstreaming in early childhood. Champaign, IL: Research Press.
- Nurcombe, B. (1989). Goal directed treatment planning and the principles of brief hospitalization. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 26–30.
- O'Neal, G.S. (1982). Mental health in ethnic minority communities: An overview, in Miller, S., O'Neal, G.S., & Scott, C.A., (Eds.), Primary Prevention Approaches to the Development of Mental Health Services for Ethnic Minorities: A Challenge to Social Work Education and Practice (pp. 1–20). New York: Council on Social Work Education.
- Padgett, D.K., Patrick, C., Burns, B.J., Schlesinger, H.J, & Cohen, J. (1993). The effect of insurance benefit changes on use of child and adolescent outpatient mental health services. Medical Care 31:96–110.
- Pottick, K., Hansell, S., Gutterman, E. & White, H.R. (1995). Factors associated with inpatient and outpatient treatment for children and adolescents with serious mental illness. Journal of American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 34:4, 423–433.
- Wood, G. & Middleman, R. (1989). The structural approach to direct practice in social work, New York: Columbia University Press.
- Accountability Factors Associated with the Delivery of Mental Health Services to Children
Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 227-239
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Social Work, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ, 08102