Time out from Stress: Camp Program and Parenting Groups for Homeless Mothers
- Kris Kissman
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper describes a camp program for homeless families and parenting groups aimed at discussing issues related to parenting while homeless. In groups and individual interviews, the women shared stories about multiple problems that negatively impacted parent/child relationships and their ability to maintain employment and residential stability. These problems included domestic violence, sexual abuse, and substance abuse. Evaluation of the camp program indicated that services available in the community and those provided by shelters were limited and mothers often had difficulties utilizing services.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Bassuk, E. L., Browne, A., & Buckner, J. C. (1996) Single mothers and welfare. Scientific American, 275, 60–67.
- Davis, L.V., & Srinivasan, M. (1995) Listening to the voices of battered women. Affilia: Journal of Women and Social Work, 10(1), 49–69.
- Glick, J. E. (1996) Mothers with children and mothers alone: A comparison of homeless families. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 23(2), 85–94.
- Hausman, B., & Hammer, C. (1993) Parenting in homeless families: the double crisis. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 63, 358–369.
- Koch, R., Lewis, M. T., & Quinones, W. (1998) Homeless mothering at rock bottom. In C. Garcia Coll, J. C. Surrey, & K. Weingarten (Eds.), Mothering against the odds (pp. 61–84). New York: Guilford Press.
- Lindsey, E. W. (1996) Mothers' perceptions of factors influencing the rehabilitation of homeless families. Families in Society, 77, 203–215.
- Mowbray, C. T., & Bybee, D. (1996) Services provided by a homeless intervention: Policy and planning implication. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 23(4), 129–145.
- Rog, D. J., McCombs-Thornton, K. L., Gilbert-Mongelli, A. M. et al. (1995) Implementation of the homeless families program: Service models and preliminary outcomes. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 65, 502–528.
- Shinn, M., Knickman, J., & Weitzman, B. C. (1991). Social relationships and vulnerability to becoming homeless among poor families. American Psychologist, 46, 1180–1187.
- Steinbock, M. R. (1995) Homeless female-headed families: relationships as risk. Marriage and Family Review, 20(2), 143–159.
- Thrasher, S. P., & Mowbray, C. T. (1995) A strength perspective: An ethnographic study of homeless women with children. Health and Social Work, 20(2), 93–101.
- U.S. Conference of Mayors (1996) A status report on hunger and homelessness in American cities. Washington, DC: Author.
- Weinbourd, B. & Kagan, S. (1989) Family support programs: Catalysts for change. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 59, 20–31.
About this Article
- Time out from Stress: Camp Program and Parenting Groups for Homeless Mothers
Contemporary Family Therapy
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 373-384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- homeless women
- parenting groups
- family therapy
- Kris Kissman (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Social Work, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Box 1450, Peck Hall, Edwardsville, IL, 62026-1450