Biological conversion of wood hydrolysate to succinic acid by Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens grew on a minimal salts medium containing wood hydrolysate (equivalent to 27 g glucose l−1) and, when supplemented with 10 g corn steep liquor l−1 as a complex nitrogen source, succinic acid at 24 g l−1 was obtained (yield = 88% w/w glucose). This may therefore be an economical method to produce succinic acid.
- Hong YK, Hong WH, Chang YK (2001) Effect of pH on the extraction characteristics of succinic and formic acids with tri-noctylamine dissolved in 1-octanol. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 6: 347–351.
- Kwon S, Lee PC, Lee EG, Chang YK Chang HN (2000) Production of lactic acid by Lactobacillus rhamnosus with vitaminsupplemented soybean hydrolysate. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 26: 209–215.
- Landucci R, Goodman B, Wyman C (1994) Methology for evaluating the economics of biologically producing chemicals and materials from alternative feedstocks. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 45–46: 678–696.
- Lawford HG, Rousseau JD (1996) Studies on nutrient requirements and cost-effective supplements for ethanol production by recombinant E. coli. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 57–58: 307–326.
- Lee PC, Lee WG, Kwon S, Lee SY, Chang HN (1999a) Succinic acid production by Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens: effects of the H2/CO2 supply and glucose concentration. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 24: 549–554.
- Lee PC, Lee WG, Lee SY, Chang HN (1999b) Effects of medium components on the growth of Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens and succinic acid production. Process Biochem. 35: 49–55.
- Lee PC, Lee WG, Kwon S, Lee SY, Chang HN (2000a) Batch and continuous fermentation of succinic acid from whey by Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 54: 23–27.
- Lee PC, Lee WG, Lee SY, Chang YK, Chang HN (2000b) Fermentative production of succinic acid from glucose and corn steep liquor by Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 5: 379–381.
- Lee PC, Lee WG, Lee SY, Chang HN (2001) Succinic acid production with reduced by-product formation in the fermentation of Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens using glycerol as a carbon source. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 72: 41–48.
- Lee WG, Lee JS, Shin CS, Park SC, Chang HN, Chang YK (1999) Ethanol production using concentrated oak wood hydrolysates and methods to detoxify. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 77–79: 547–559.
- Lynd LR, Wyman CE, Gerngross TU (1999) Biocommodity engineering. Biotechnol. Prog. 15: 777–793.
- Samuelov NS, Lamed R, Lowe S, Zeikus JG (1991) Influence of CO2-HCO + 3 levels and pH on growth, succinate production and enzyme activities of Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57: 3013–3019.
- Sriram V, Dennis JM (1999) Catalytic upgrading of fermentationderived organic acids. Biotechnol. Prog. 15: 845–854.
- Biological conversion of wood hydrolysate to succinic acid by Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 111-114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Anaerobiospirillum succiniciproducens
- succinic acid
- wood hydrolysate
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Metabolic and Biomolecular Engineering National Research Laboratory, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and BioProcess Engineering Research Center, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373-1 Guseong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-701, Republic of Korea
- 3. Korea Institute of Energy Research, 71-2 Jang-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-343, Republic of Korea