Oxidation behaviour of ferrous alloys used as interconnecting material in solid oxide fuel cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Under operating conditions in the solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC), metallic interconnect plates form electrically insulating or poor-conducting oxide scales (e.g. Cr2O3, Al2O3) at their surface which increase the contact resistance from one fuel cell membrane to the next. In order to minimize electric losses in a fuel cell stack, the formation of oxide scales on the interconnect surface must either be prevented or the oxide scale formed must have sufficient electrical conductivity. In the present work, investigations were carried out on the corrosion behaviour of different FeCrAl and FeCrMn alloys, some of which were coated with nickel (Ni). Information about ageing of these alloys on the anode side of the fuel cell was obtained by means of contact resistance measurements and scanning electron microscopy. The results reveal that FeCrMn(LaTi) alloys and Ni-coated interconnects exhibit low ageing rates and are thus suitable for use on the anode side of SOFCs.
- H. P. Buchkremer, U. Diekmann and D. StÖver Proceedings 2nd European Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Forum, edited by B. Thorstensen (Oslo, Norway, 1996) p. 221.
- Meulenberg, W. A., Teller, O., Flesch, U., Buchkremer, H. P., StÖver, D. (2001) J. Mater. Sci. 36: pp. 3189
- U. Flesch, R. Dahl, R. Peters and D. StÖver, European Congress on Advanced Materials and Processes, Euromat, Munich, Germany (1999) p. 187.
- Flesch, U., Dahl, R., Peters, R., StÖver, D. In: Singhal, S. C., Dokiya, M. eds. (1999) Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC VI), Proceedings 99-19. The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJ, USApp. 612
- Buchkremer, H. P., Diekmann, U., de Haart, L. G. J., Kabs, H., Stimming, U., StÖver, D. In: Stimming, U., Singhal, S. C., Tagawa, H., Lehnert, W. eds. (1997) Proc. 5th Int. Symp. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC-V). The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJpp. 160
- W. J. Quadakkers, T. Malkow, J. PirÓn-AbellÁn, U. Flesch, V. Shemet and L. Singheiser, Proceedings Fourth European Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Forum, 10-14 July 2000, Lucerne, Switzerland, edited by A. J. McEvoy (2000) p. 827.
- Meulenberg, W. A., Teller, O., Buchkremer, H. P., StÖver, D. In: Zang, D. L., Pickering, K. L., Xion, X. Y. eds. (2000) Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Advanced Materials Processing, 19-23 November 2000, Rotorua, New Zealand. Institute of Materials Engineering, Australiapp. 449
- Meulenberg, W. A., Gil, A., Wessel, E., Buchkremer, H. P., StÖver, D. (2002) Oxidation of Metals 57: pp. 1
- See e.g. “Metals Handbook,” Vol. 1: Properties and Selections of Metals, 8th edn., edited by T. Lyman (Metal Park, Ohio, 1961) p. 1218.
- Piron-Abellan, J., Shemet, V., Tietz, F., Singheiser, L., Quadakkers, W. J., Gil, A. In: Yokokawa, H., Singhal, S. C. eds. (2001) Proc. of the 7th Int. Symp. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC VII). The Electrochemical Society, Tsukuba, Japanpp. 811
- Nagai, H., Fujikawa, T., Shoji, K. (1983) Transactions of the Japan Institute of Metals 24: pp. 581
- Oxidation behaviour of ferrous alloys used as interconnecting material in solid oxide fuel cells
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 507-513
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors