A 3-D Image Detection Method of a Surface Opening Crack in Concrete Using Ultrasonic Transducer Arrays
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The detection of the size and the location of existing three dimensional cracks in a concrete structure is an important topic in civil engineering. In this paper, a multisource, multireceiver method that considers the travel times diffracted by a crack tip is introduced, to backcalculate a 3-D image of the crack tip of a surface opening crack. The possible location of the crack tip front is on the surface of an ellipsoid, which is constructed by a fixed travel time length measured from the source to the receiver, by letting the source and receiver points be the foci of the corresponding ellipsoid. If the locations of the source and the receiver, together with the associated measured travel time of the diffracted echo between each source-receiver pair are known, the image of the tip can be determined by counting the number of intersections of the ellipsoidal surfaces in an image construction cellular structure. The backcalculated crack tip image, as seen from experimental data, match the dimensions of the real crack very well, demonstrating the capability and accuracy of this newly proposed multisource, multireceiver method for concrete NDE.
- R. Jones, Nondestructive Testing of Concrete.(Cambridge University, London, 1962).
- J. R. Leslie and W. J. Cheesman, An ultrasonic method of studying deterioration and cracking in concrete structures. J. Am. Conc. Inst. 21:17 (1949).
- A. N. Abdul-Amir and M. A. H. Abdul-Karim, Microprocessor application to concrete crack depth measurement. J. Nondestr. Eval.(2):67–72 (1987).
- J. Krautkramer and H. Krautkramer, Ultrasonic Testing of Materials, 2nd Ed. (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1977).
- M. Sansalone and N. J. Carino, Impact-echo method. ACI Concr. Int. Design Constr. 10(4):38–46 (April 1988).
- M. Sansalone and N. J. Carino, Detecting delaminations in concrete slabs with and without overlays using the impact-echo method. ACI Mater. J. 86(2):175–184 (1989).
- C. H. Yew, K. G. Chen, and D. L. Wang, An experimental study of interaction between surface waves and a surface breaking crack. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 75:189–195 (1984).
- T. T. Wu and J. S. Fang, Nondestructive Evaluation of a Surface-Breaking Crack in Concrete Using Transient Elastic Waves. Proceedings of the 1994 far East Conference on NDT and ROCSNT Ninth Annual Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, R. O. C., (1994), pp. 323–330.
- P. L. Liu and C. D. Tsai, Imaging of Concrete Cracks. Proceedings of the Eighth Asia-Pacific Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Taipei, Taiwan, (1995), pp. 703–710.
- M. Simaan, A. Hussain, and M. T. Hanna, Nondestructive detection of flaws in material using transducer arrays. J. Nondestr. Eval. 6(l):47–55 (1987).
- A. R. Selfridge, G. S. Kino, and B. T. Khuri-Yakub, Fundamental Concepts in Acoustic Transducer Array Design. Proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Boston, MA (Nov. 5-7, 1980), p. 989.
- R. E. Green, Nondestructive Evaluation of Constructed Facilities. Proceedings of the US-Korea-Japan Trilateral Seminar, Honolulu, Hawaii (1991), pp. 153–166.
- E. A. Robinson and S. Treitel, Geophysical Signal Analysis(Prentice-Hall, 1980).
- O. Yilmaz, Seismic Data Processing(Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 1987).
- R. P. Feynman, R. B. Leighton, and M. Sands, The Feynman Lectures on Physics,Vol. I (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Massachusetts, 1970), pp. 26–3–26–6.
- A. N. Norris and J. D. Achenbach, Mapping of a crack edge by ultrasonic methods. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 72:264–272 (1982).
- J. D. Achenbach, A. N. Norris, L. Ahlberg, and B. R. Tittmann, Crack mapping by ray methods, in Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation,Vol. 2, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1983), pp. 1097–1116.
- A. N. Norris, J. D. Achenbach, and L. Ahlberg, Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation,Vol. 3, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1984), pp. 277–286.
- L. Ahlberg, B. R. Tittmann, A. N. Norris, and J. D. Achenbach, Experimental results on crack inversion, in Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation,Vol. 3, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1984), pp. 287–296.
- T.-T. Wu and J.-S. Fang, Crack depth measurement of a concrete specimen using phase identification of transient elastic waves, J. Chin. Inst. Civil Hydraul. Eng. 8(3):337–342 (1996).
- A 3-D Image Detection Method of a Surface Opening Crack in Concrete Using Ultrasonic Transducer Arrays
Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 193-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Nondestructive evaluation
- Industry Sectors