Geochemistry of Diagenesis of Sediments in the Barents Sea: Forms of Iron and Sulfur
- S. V. Strekopytov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The chemical composition of sediments of cores taken from different areas of the Barents Sea was studied. The study involves reactive iron (Fereact) and reduced sulfur. The surficial oxidized layer with a thickness of 0.5–25 cm is characterized by increased content of Fe(III) in the form of oxyhydroxides and possibly hydroxophosphates. This layer is locally enriched in Mn. Reactive iron in sediments of horizons, which underlie the oxidized layer, is probably present mainly in the composition of silicates. The role of sulfides (acid-soluble phases and pyrite) among Fereact forms is predominantly subordinate. The core of pre-Holocene sediments is characterized by a strong correlation between the total content of reduced sulfur and its isotopic composition. This testifies to authigenic origin of pyrite in the pre-Holocene mud.
- Bisset, C.B., Observations on Material from the Sea-Floor, Barents Sea and Arctic Ocean. British Arctic Expedition of 1925, Trans. Edinburgh Geol. Soc., 1930, vol. 12, part 2, pp. 207–212.
- Blazhchishin, A.I. and Kheirov, M.B., Clay Mineral Associations in Upper Quaternary Sediments of the Barents Sea, Litol. Polezn. Iskop., 1990, no. 3, pp. 24–43.
- Geokhimiya diageneza osadkov Tikhogo okeana (Transokeanskii profil') (Geochemistry of Diagenesis of Sediments in the Pacific Ocean: The Transoceanic Profile), Ostroumov, E.A., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1980.
- Gorshkova, T.I., Chemical–Mineralogical Studies of Sediments in the Barents and White Seas (Material from Expedition of the Marine Scientific Institute in 1923–1928), Trudy Gosudarst. Okeanogr. Inst.,1931, vol. 1, issue2/3, pp. 83–123.
- Gorshkova, T.I., Organic Matter and Carbonates in Sediments of the Barents Sea, Trudy PINRO, 1957, issue 10, pp. 260–280.
- Gorshkova, T.I., Manganese in Seafloor Sediments of Northern Seas in the Soviet Union and Its Biological Significance, Trudy VNIRO, 1966, vol. 60, pp. 89–102.
- Gorshkova, T.I., Organic Matter of Recent Shelf Sediments in Northern Seas of the Soviet Union, Problemy geologii shel'fa (Problems of the Shelf Geology), Moscow: Nauka, 1975, pp. 66–72.
- Gurvich, E.G., Bogdanov, Yu.A., Vlasova, I.E., Gordeev, V.Yu., Demina, L.V., Isaeva, A.B., and Pavlova, G.A., Variability of the Chemical Composition of Bottom Sediments of the Barents Sea and Sedimentation Environment, Geologiya morei i okeanov (Geology of Seas and Oceans), 1999, vol. 1, pp. 313–314.
- Klenova, M.V., Geologiya Barentseva morya (Geology of the Barents Sea), Moscow: Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1960.
- Klenova, M.V. and Budyanskaya, M.L., Phosphorus in Sediments of Northern Seas, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1940, vol. 28, no.1, pp. 82–86.
- Klenova, M.V. and Pakhomova, A.S., Manganese in Sediments of Northern Seas, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1940, vol. 28, no.1, pp. 87–89.
- König, I., Drodt, M., Suess, E., and Trautwein, A.X., Iron Reduction through the Tan-Green Color Transition in Deep-Sea Sediments, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 1997, vol. 61, no.8, pp. 1679–1683.
- Lein, A.Yu., Miller, Yu.M., Namsaraev, B.B., Pavlova, G.A., Pimenov, N.V., Rusanov, I.I., Savvichev, A.S., and Ivanov, M.V., Biogeochemical Processes of the Sulfur Cycle at Early Stages of the Sediment Diagenesis on the Yenisei–Kara Sea Profile, Okeanologiya, 1994, vol. 34, no.5, pp. 681–692.
- Lein, A.Yu., Rusanov, I.I., Savvichev, A.S., Pimenov, N.V., Miller, Yu.M., Pavlova, G.A., and Ivanov, M.V., Biogeochemical Processes of Sulfur and Carbon Cycles in the Kara Sea, Geokhimiya, 1996, no. 11, pp. 1027–1044.
- Lein, A.Yu., Pimenov, N.V., Savvichev, A.S., Pavlova, G.A., Rusanov, I.I., Miller, Yu.M., and Ivanov, M.V., Geochemical Features of the Diagenesis of Holocene Sediments in the Spitsbergen Region, Okeanologiya, 2000, vol. 40, no.2, pp. 247–256.
- Lyle, M., The Brown-Green Color Transition in Marine Sediments: A Marker of the Fe(III)-Fe(II) Redox Boundary, Limnol. Oceanogr., 1983, vol. 28, pp. 1026–1033.
- Murdmaa, I.O., Ivanova, E.V., and Pimenov, N.V., Marine Periglacial Sedimentation in the Barents Sea during the Post-glaciation, Morskoi periglyatsial i oledenenie Barentsevo-Karskogo shel'fa v pleistotsene (Marine Periglacial Sediments and Glaciation of the Barents–Kara-Sea Shelf in the Pleistocene), Apatity, 1998, pp. 78–80.
- Pakhomova, A.S., Manganese in Marine Sediments, Trudy Gos. Okeanogr. Inst., 1948, issue 5(17), pp. 9–56.
- Romankevich, E.A., Danyushevskaya, A.I., Belyaeva, A.N., and Rusanov, V.P., Biogeokhimiya organicheskogo veshchestva arkticheskikh morei (Biogeochemistry of Organic Matter in Arctic Seas), Moscow: Nauka, 1982.
- Samoilov, Ya.V. and Titov, A.G., Ferromanganese Nodules from the Bottom of the Black, Baltic, and Barents Seas, Trudy Geol. Mineral. Muzeya Petra Velikogo Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1917–1918, vol. 3, no.2, pp. 25–112.
- Schmelck, L., Chemistry, The Norwegian North-Atlantic Expedition, 1876–1878, Christiania: Grondal &; Son, 1882. vol. 1(9).
- Sokolov, V.S., Detection of Reactive Forms of Fe and Mn in Marine Sediments, Khimicheskii analiz morskik osadkov (Chemical Analysis of Marine Sediments), Mocow: Nauka, 1980, pp. 28–41
- Strekopytov, S. and Larsen, O., Reduction of Structural Fe(III) of Nontronite by Hydrogen Sulfide, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements, Guelph, 2001, p. 73.
- Strekopytov, S.V. and Dubinin, A.V., Geochemistry of Ferruginous Nodules in the Barents Sea, Okeanologiya, 2001, vol. 41, pp. 386–393.
- Strekopytov, S.V., Vinogradova, E.L., Uspenskaya, Y.Yu., and Dubinin, A.V., Early Diagenesis of Iron, Manganese and Sulfur in the Sediments of the Kandalaksha Bay, White Sea, Sarsia, 2002 (in press).
- Veber, V., Materials from the “Ermak” Expedition in 1901, Zap. Imperatorsk. Sankt-Peterburg. Mineral. O–va, Vtoraya Seriya, 1908, part 46, issue 2, pp. 213–246.
- Volkov, I.I., Geokhimiya sery v osadkakh okeana (Geochemistry of Sulfur in Oceanic Sediments), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.
- Volkov, I.I. and Sevat'yanov, V.F., Redistribution of Chemical Elements during the Diagenesis of Sediments in the Black Sea, Geokhimiya osadochnykh porod i rud (materialy VII Vsesoyuznoi litologicheskoi konferentsii 1965 g.) (Geochemistry of Sedimentary Rocks and Ores: Materials of VII All-Union Lithological Conference, 1965), Moscow: Nauka, 1968, pp. 134–182.
- Zhabina, N.N., Metody opredeleniya sery v morskikh osadkakh (Methods for the Determination of Sulfur in Marine Sediments), Moscow: Inst. Okeanol. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1985.
- Geochemistry of Diagenesis of Sediments in the Barents Sea: Forms of Iron and Sulfur
Lithology and Mineral Resources
Volume 38, Issue 1 , pp 1-11
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences, pr. Nakhimova 36, Moscow, 117851, Russia