Measuring the refractometric characteristics of optical plastics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ten types of American, Japanese, and German optical plastic (OP) materials are examined. The principal OPs are analysed: polymethyl methacrylate, polystyrene, polycarbonate, and styrene acrylonitrile. Refractive indices are measured and calculated for the principal and some new applicable OPs, namely NAS-21 Novacor, CTE-Richardson, Zeonex E48R, Optorez 1330 and Bayer for wavelengths from 435.8 to 1052 nm. A theoretical examination was made for computer modelling of OPs indices using Cauchy's dispersion formula. The dispersion coefficients and Abbe constants are calculated. The OPs indices computed for numerous laser wavelengths 442–1060 nm are presented. A more effective device and technology for the measurement of refractive index of OPs is realized with an accuracy of ±0.001.
- Arai, N. Projection lens for a television projector, US Patent 4,666,261, issued May 19, 1987.
- Carl Zeiss JENA. The manual of Pulfrich-Refraktometer PR2, Jena D-77830, Germany, 1976.
- Code V Design program, http: //www.opticalres.com, 2000.
- Federal Test Method Std. No. 406, Method 3011: Index of Refraction, October 5, 1961.
- Herzberger, M. Modern Geometrical Optics, E. Kodak Com., Rochester, New York, Chapter XII, 1958.
- Horne, D.F. Optical Production Technology, 2nd edn, p. 253 Adam Hilger Ltd., 1983.
- Kreitzer, M.H. and J. Moskovich. Wide-angle DMD projection lens, US Patent 5,870,228, issued February 9, 1999.
- Longhurst, R.S. Geometrical and Physical Optics, 3rd edn, Longman Scientific, England, 1973.
- Moskovich, J. Color corrected projection lens, US Patent Number Re. 35,310, issued August 6, 1996.
- Nikolov, I.D. and C.D. Ivanov. Optika 98, 5th Congress on Modern Optics, In: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. eds. G. Akos, G. Lupkovics, and A. Podmaniczky, Vol. 3573, p. 409. 1998.
- Nippon Zeon Company, Optical Polymers Dept., Tokyo, Japan.
- OSLO Optical Design Software, http: //www.sinopt.com, 1999.
- Properties of Principal Optical Plastics – Plastec Inc., (Molded Optics & Components), www.plastec.com, 1999.
- SCHOTT '96 Catalogue Optical Glass, Version 1.1 (Optisches Glas, Mainz D-55014, Germany), 1996.
- The handbookof plastic optics, US Precision Lens, Cincinnati, Ohio 45245, 11, 1973.
- Yamada, H. Projection lens system for projectors, US Patent 5,212,597 issued May 18, 1993.
- ZEMAX Optical Design Software, http: //www.focus-software.com, 1999.
- Measuring the refractometric characteristics of optical plastics
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 21-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- dispersion coefficients
- optical plastics
- refractive indices
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, University 'Assen Zlatarov'-Bourgas, 1 Prof. Yakimov Str., Bourgas, 8010, Bulgaria;
- 2. Department of Optics and Spectroscopy, Faculty of Physics, Sofia University, 5 J. Bourchier Blvd., Sofia-, 1164, Bulgaria;