Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youths: Separation-Individuation, Parental Attitudes, Identity Consolidation, and Well-Being
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The study examines separation-individuation during adolescence and young adulthood for gay, lesbian, and bisexual youths, and evaluates the consequences of parent-youth relationships for well-being and sexual orientation identity development. Seventy-two youths completed interview and questionnaire measures of relatedness, autonomy, and conflictual independence in relation to mothers and fathers, along with self-reports of parent attitudes, identity consolidation, and well-being. When youths perceived that their parents had relatively accepting attitudes regarding sexual orientation they demonstrated closer relatedness and greater conflictual independence with parents, but not greater autonomy. Both accepting parental attitudes and greater separation-individuation predicted more positive well-being for the youths, though only parental attitudes predicted greater consolidation of sexual orientation identity. Although mothers were generally closer and more supportive than fathers, relationships with both parents were important, independent predictors of personal adjustment. The discussion proposes mutual influences among separation-individuation, perceived acceptance by parents, identity consolidation and well-being.
- Blos, P. (1979). The adolescent passage. International Universities Press, New York.
- Blustein, D. L., Walbridge, M. M., Friedlander, M. L., and Palladino, D. E. (1991). Contributions of psychological separation and parental attachment to the career development process. J. Couns. Psychol. 38: 39-50.
- Boulet, J. and Boss, M. (1991). Reliability and validity of the Brief Symptom Inventory, J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 3: 433-437.
- Boxer, A. M., and Cohler, B. J. (1989). The life course of gay and lesbian youth: An immodest proposal for the study of lives. J. Homosexuality 17: 315-355.
- Boxer, A. M., Cook, J. A., and Herdt, G. (1991). Double jeopardy: Identity transitions and parent-child relations among gay and lesbian youth. In Pillemer, K., and McCartney, K. (eds.), Parent-child relations throughout life, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 59-92.
- Brown, L. S. (1995). Lesbian identities: Concepts and issues. In D'Auggelli, A. R., and Patterson, C. J. (eds.), Lesbian, gay, and bisexual identities over the lifespan: Psychological perscpectives. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 3-23.
- Cass, V. C. (1979). Homosexual identity formation: A theoretical model. J. Homosexuality 4: 219-235.
- Cass, V. C. (1996). Sexual orientation identity formation: A western phenomnenon. In Cabaj, R. P., and Stein, T. S. (eds.), Textbook of homosexuality and mental health. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, pp. 227-251.
- Coleman, E. (1981). Developmental stages of the coming out process. J. Homosexuality 7: 31-43.
- D'Augelli, A. R. (1998). Developmental implications of victimization of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youths. In Herek, G. M. (ed.), Stigma and sexual orientation: Understanding prejudice against lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, pp. 187-210.
- Derogatis, L. R., and Melisaratos, N. (1983). The Brief Symptom Inventory: An introductory report. Psycholog. Med. 13: 596-605.
- DeVine, J. L. (1982). A systemic inspection of affectional preference orientation and the family of origin. J. Soc. Work Human Sexual. 2: 9-17.
- Fassinger, R. E., and Miller, B. A. (1996). Validation of an inclusive model of sexual minority identity formation on a sample of gay men. J. Homosexuality 32: 53-78.
- Fleming, J. S., and Courtney, B. E. (1984). The dimensionality of self esteem: II. Hierarchical facet model for revised measurement scales. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 46: 404-421.
- Frank, S. J., Avery, C. B., and Laman, M. S. (1988). Young adults' perceptions of their relationships with their parents: Individual differences in connectedness, competence, and emotional autonomy. Develop. Psychol. 24: 729-737.
- Fuhrman, T., and Holmbeck, G. N. (1995). A contextual-moderator analysis of emotional autonomy and adjustment in adolescence. Child Devel. 66: 793-811.
- Furman, W., and Buhrmester, D. (1992). Age and sex differences in perceptions of networks of personal relationships. Child Develop. 63: 103-115.
- Grotevant, H. D., and Cooper, C. (1985). Patterns of interaction in faimily relationships and the development of identity formation in adolescence. Child Develop. 56: 415-420.
- Hagborg, W. J. (1996). Scores of middle-school age students on the Rosenberg self-esteem scale. Psycholog. Rep. 78: 1071-1074.
- Herdt, G. (1989). Introduction: Gay and lesbian youth, emergent identities, and cultural scenes at Home and abroad. In Herdt, G. (ed.), Gay and lesbian youth. Harrington Park Press, New York, pp. 1-42.
- Herdt, G., and Boxer, A. (1993). Children of Horizons: How gay and lesbian teens are leading a new way out of the closet. Beacon Press, Boston.
- Hill, J. P., and Holmbeck, G. N. (1986). Attachment and autonomy during adolescence. Ann. Child Develop. 3: 145-189.
- Hoffman, J. A. (1984). Psychological separation of late adolescents from their parents. J. Couns. Psychol. 31: 170-178.
- Hoffman, J. A., and Weiss, B. (1987). Family dynamics and presenting problems in college students. J. Couns. Psychol. 34: 157-163.
- Hoge, D. R., and McCarthy, J. D. (1983). Issues of validity and reliability in the use of real-ideal discrepancy scores to measure self-regard. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 44: 1048-1055.
- Holtzen, D. W., Kenny, M. E., and Mahalik, J. R. (1995). Contributions of parental attachment to gay or lesbian disclosure to parents and dysfunctional cognitive processes. J. Couns. Psychol. 42: 350-355.
- Klein, F., Sepekoff, B., and Wolf, T. J. (1985). Sexual orientation: A multivariable dynamic process. J. Homosexuality 11: 35-49.
- Lopez, F. G., Campbell, V. L., and Watkins, C. E. (1986). Depression, psychological separation, and college adjustment: An investigation of sex differences. J. Couns. Psychol. 33: 52-56.
- Lopez, F. G., and Gover, M. R. (1993). Self-report measures of parent-adolescent attachment and separation-individuation: A selective review. J. Couns. Develop. 71: 560-569.
- Lorr, M., and Wunderlich, R. A. (1986). Two objective measures of self-esteem. J. Pers. Assess. 50: 18-23.
- Main, M., and Goldwyn, R. (1985). Adult attachment classification system. Unpublished manuscript, Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley.
- Remafedi, G. (1987). Homosexual youth: A challenge to contemporary society. JAMA 258: 222-225.
- Rice, K. G., Cole, D. A., and Lapsley, D. K. (1990). Separation-individuation, family cohesion, and adjustment to college: Measurement validation and test of a theoretical model. J. Couns. Psychol. 37: 195-202.
- Robinson, B. E., Walters, L. H., and Skeen, P. (1989). Response of parents to learning that their child is homosexual and concern over AIDS: A national study. J. Homosexuality 18: 59-80.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self image. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Rossi, A. S., and Rossi, P. H. (1990). Of human bonding: Parent-child relations across the life course. Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- Savin-Williams, R. C. (1989a). Parental influences on the self-esteem of gay and lesbian youths: A reflected appraisals model. J. Homosexuality 17: 93-109.
- Savin-Williams, R. C. (1989b). Coming out to parents and self-esteem among gay and lesbian youths. J. Homosexuality 18: 1-35.
- Sears, J. T. (1991). Growing up gay in the south: Race, gender, and journeys of the spirit. Harrington Park Press, New York.
- Steinberg, L., and Silverberg, A. (1986). The vicissitudes of autonomy in early adolescence. Child Develop. 57: 841-851.
- Strommen, E. F. (1989). “You're a what?”: Family member reactions to the disclosure of homosexuality. J. Homosexuality 18: 37-58.
- Troiden, R. R. (1989). The formation of homosexual identities. J. Homosexuality 17: 43-73.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youths: Separation-Individuation, Parental Attitudes, Identity Consolidation, and Well-Being
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 719-739
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links