Sexual Knowledge, Experience and Feelings Among People with Disability
- Marita P. McCabe
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The current study was designed to evaluate the sexual knowledge, experience, feelings and needs of people with intellectual disability or physical disability, and compare them to people from the general population. Sixty people with mild intellectual disability (28 males, 32 females, mean age=27.62 years), 60 people with physical disability (33 males, 27 females, mean age=28.65 years) and 100 people from the general population (40 males, 60 females, mean age=30.10 years) participated in the study. Each respondent completed the Sexual Knowledge, Experience and Needs Scale (SexKen). This scale assesses levels of knowledge, experience, feelings and needs in 12 different areas of sexuality. The results demonstrated that people with intellectual disability experienced lower levels of sexual knowledge and experience, more negative attitudes to sex and stronger sexual needs than people with physical disability, in all areas of sexuality. People with physical disability demonstrated these same trends when they were compared to people from the general population. An interpretation of these results as they relate to the sexuality of people with intellectual or physical disability is provided.
- Cole, S.S., & Cole, T.M. Sexuality, disability, and reproductive issues through the lifespan. Sexual and Disab, 11, 189–205, 1993.
- McCabe, M.P. Sex education programs for people with mental retardation. Mental Retard, 31, 377–387, 1993.
- Szollos, A. & McCabe, M.P. The sexuality of people with mild intellectual disabilities: Perceptions of clients and caregivers. Aust and New Zeal J Develop Disab, 20, 205–222, 1995.
- Kempton, W. & Kahn, E. Sexuality and people with intellectual disabilities: A historical perspective. Sexual and Disab, 9, 93–111, 1991.
- Carmody M: Invisible victims: Sexual assault of people with an intellectual disability. Austral New Zealand J Intellect Disab, 17, 229–236, 1991.
- Whitehouse, M.A., McCabe, M.P. Sex education programs for people with intellectual disability: How effective are they? Educ and Train Mental Retard and Develop Disab, 32, 229–240, 1997.
- McCabe, M.P. & Cummins, R.A. The sexual knowledge, experience, feelings and needs of people with mild intellectual disability. Educ and Train Mental Retard and Develo Disab, 31, 13–22, 1996.
- Edmonson, B., Wish, J. Sex knowledge and attitudes of moderately retarded males. Amer J Mental Defic, 84, 11–18, 1975.
- Timmers, R.L., Du Charme, P., Jacob, G. Sexual knowledge, attitudes and behavior of developmentally disabled adults living in a normalised apartment setting. Sex and Disab, 4, 27–39, 1981.
- Niederbahl JM, Morris CD: Sexual knowledge and the capability of persons with dual diagnoses to consent to sexual contact. Sexual and Disab, 11, 295–307, 1993.
- Schneider EP: Human sexuality and the handicapped. Pers and Guid J, March, 378–380, 1976.
- Macdougall, J.C. & Morin, S. Sexual attitudes and self-reported behavior of congenitally disabled adults. Canad J Behav Sci, 11, 189–204, 1979.
- De Haan, C.B., Wallander, J.G. Self-concept, sexual knowledge and attitudes, and parental support in the sexual adjustment of women with early-and late-onset physical disability. Arch Sexual Behav, 17, 145–161, 1988.
- Sandowski C: Responding to the sexual concerns of people with disabilities. J Soc Work and Human Sexual, 8, 29–43, 1993.
- Giami, A. Coping with the sexuality of the disabled: A comparison of the physically disabled and the mentally retarded. Int J Rehab Res, 10, 41–48, 1987.
- McCabe, M.P. Sexual knowledge, experience, feelings and needs scale—parallel versions for the general population, people with intellectual disability, physical disability and care staff. In Handbook of Sexuality Related Measures, CM Davis, WL Yarber, R Bauserman, GS Schreer, SL Davis (eds). California, Sage Publishing, 1998, 443–444.
- McCabe, M.P., Cummins, R.A., Reid, S.B. An empirical study of the sexual abuse of people with intellectual disability. J Sexual and Disab, 12, 297–306, 1994.
- Sexual Knowledge, Experience and Feelings Among People with Disability
Sexuality and Disability
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 157-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- intellectual disability
- physical disability
- sexual experience
- sexual knowledge
- sexual needs
- Marita P. McCabe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Psychology, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia