Voluntary Sodium Chloride Consumption by Mice: Differences Among Five Inbred Strains
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examined voluntary NaCl intakes of five mouse strains: NZB/B1NJ, SM/J, 129/J, C57BL/6ByJ, and CBA/J. Using two-bottle tests with water as one choice, the mice were offered series of progressively increasing or progressively decreasing NaCl concentrations (37.5–600 mMNaCl in 48-h tests), then 300 mMNaCl for 6 days and 75 mMNaCl for 8 days. Low concentrations of NaCl were more avidly accepted by mice given the increasing rather than the decreasing series. However, irrespective of the test order, test duration, or how the results were expressed (i.e., as raw intakes, intakes corrected for body weights, or preferences), the NZB/B1NJ mice always had higher NaCl acceptance than did the CBA/J mice. The SM/J, 129/J, and C57BL/6ByJ strains were intermediate between the NZB/B1NJ and the CBA/J strains, but their distributions varied from concentration to concentration. Low (≤150 mM) NaCl concentrations were avoided by the C57BL/6ByJ and CBA/J mice, but the NZB/B1NJ, SM/J and 129/J mice either preferred or were indifferent to them. High (≥300 mM) NaCl concentrations were strongly avoided by all mice, except for the NZB/B1NJ strain. It is suggested that separate genes underlie the strain differences in acceptance of dilute and concentrated NaCl solutions.
- Altman, P. L., Katz, D. D. (1979) Biological Handbooks, III. Inbred and Genetically Defined Strains of Laboratory Animals, Part 1. Mouse and Rat. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Bethesda, MD
- Bachmanov, A. A. (1993) The genetic analysis of Na and K appetites in hybrids between SHR and WKY rat strains. Appetite 21: pp. 162
- Bachmanov, A. A., Tordoff, M. G., and Beauchamp, G. K. (1994). Strain differences in salt appetite in mice.Abstracts of the 2nd Independent Meeting of the SSIB(Hamilton, Canada), A-24.
- Bachmanov, A. A., Reed, D. R., Tordoff, M. G., Price, R. A., Beauchamp, G. K. (1996) Intake of ethanol, sodium chloride, sucrose, citric acid and quinine hydrochloride solutions by mice: a genetic analysis. Behav. Genet. 26: pp. 563-573
- Bachmanov, A. A., Tordoff, M. G., Beauchamp, G. K. (1996) Ethanol consumption and taste preferences in C57BL/6ByJ and 129/J mice. Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 20: pp. 201-206
- Bachmanov, A. A., Tordoff, M. G., Ninomiya, Y., Inoue, M., Schlager, G., and Beauchamp, G. K. (1997). Genetic differences in NaCl intake in inbred mouse strains: Taste, learning and metabolism.Abstracts of the XXXIII International Congress of Physiological Sciences(St. Petersburg, Russia), P009.03.
- Beauchamp, G. K., Fisher, A. S. (1993) Strain differences in consumption of saline solutions by mice. Physiol. Behav. 54: pp. 179-184
- Fujisaki, H. (1983) Genetic and physiological studies of mouse systolic blood pressure. Nippon Seirigaku Zasshi 45: pp. 701-710
- Gannon, K., Contreras, R. J. (1993) Sodium intake linked to amiloride-sensitive gustatory transduction in C57BL/6J and 129/J mice. Physiol. Behav. 57: pp. 231-239
- Hicks, J. D., Burnet, F. M. (1966) Renal lesions in the “autoimmune” mouse strains NZB and F1 NZB × NZW. J. Path. Bact. 91: pp. 467-477
- Hiji, Y., Sato, M. (1967) Preference-aversion function for sodium monoaminodicarboxylates in rats. J. Physiol. Soc. Japan 29: pp. 168-169
- Lush, I. E. The genetics of bitterness, sweetness, and saltiness in strains of mice. In: Wysocki, C. J., Kare, M. R. eds. (1991) Chemical Senses, Vol. 3. Genetics of Perception and Communication. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 227-241
- Mellors, R. C. (1965) Autoimmune disease in NZB/B1 mice. I. Pathology and pathogenesis of a model system of spontaneous glomerulonephritis. J. Exp. Med. 122: pp. 25-40
- Ninomiya, Y., Bachmanov, A. A., Yatabe, A., and Beauchamp, G. K. (in press). NaCl-preferring NZB/B1NY mice and NaCl-avoiding CBA/Y mice have similar amiloride inhibition of chorda tympani responses to NaCl.Chem. Senses.
- Ninomiya, Y., Fukami, Y., Yamazaki, K., Beauchamp, G. K. (1996) Amiloride inhibition of chorda tympani responses to NaCl and its temperature dependency in mice. Brain Res. 708: pp. 153-158
- Ninomiya, Y., Sako, N., Funakoshi, M. (1989) Strain differences in amiloride inhibition of NaCl responses in mice, Mus musculus. J. Comp. Physiol. A 166: pp. 1-5
- Sollars, S. I., Midkiff, E. E., Bernstein, I. L. (1990) Genetic transmission of NaCl aversion in the Fisher-344 rat. Chem. Senses 15: pp. 521-527
- Svendsen, U. G. (1977) Spontaneous hypertension and hypertensive vascular disease in the NZB strain of mice. Acta Path. Microbiol. Scand. Sect. A 85: pp. 548-554
- Taylor, B. A. Recombinant Inbred Strains. In: Green, M. C. eds. (1981) Genetic Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse. Gustav Fisher Verlag, Stuttgart-New York, pp. 397-407
- Voluntary Sodium Chloride Consumption by Mice: Differences Among Five Inbred Strains
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 117-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- NaCl intake and preference
- mouse strains