Self-Reported Depressive Symptoms in a School Sample of Italian Children and Adolescents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study reports on self-reported depressive symptoms, assessed with the Children's Depression Inventory (CDI), in a school sample of 685 Italian students. The participants were 254 males and 431 females, the age range of the subjects was 8 to 17 years (mean age 13.0 ± 2.8 years). The CDI mean score was 10.49 ± 2.76. According to our data, about 10% of the subjects scored higher than the clinical threshold of 20. More than 1/3 of the students reported thoughts of death, but only 2.2% had explicit suicidal ideation. Girls scored higher than boys, and young adolescents (11–13 years) scored lower than pre-pubertal children and older adolescents, and showed fewer thoughts of death. Factorial analysis yielded seven factors, a general factor with no predominant theme, two factors related to academic self-image and body image, and four related to anhedonia-withdrawal, hypocondria-asthenia, irritability-opposition, and loss of appetite.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders. Fourth Ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- World Health Organization: The ICD-10 Classification of mental health and behavioural disorders: Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1992.
- Jensen PS, Brooks-Gunn J, Graber JA: Dimensional scales and diagnostic categories: constructing crosswalks for child psychopathology assessments. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38: 118–120, 1999.
- Puig-Antich J, Chambers WJ, Tabrizi MA: The clinical assessment of current depressive episodes in children and adolescents: Interviews with parents and children. In Cantwell DP, Carlson GA (Eds): Affective disorders in childhood and adolescence-An update. New York, Spectrums Publications, Inc., 1983, pp. 157–179.
- Angold A: Childhood and adolescent depression: I. Epidemiological and etiologic aspects. Br J Psychiatry 152: 601–617, 1988.
- Fleming JE, Offord DR: Epidemiology of childhood depressive disorders: a critical review. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 29: 571–580, 1990.
- Kazdin AE: Childhood depression. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1: 121–160, 1990.
- Harrington R: Annotation: The natural history and treatment of child and adolescent affective disorders. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 33: 1287–1302, 1992.
- Masi G, Tomaiulo F, Sbrana B, Favilla L, Poli P, Baracchini MG, Pruneti CA, Floriani C, Marcheschi M: Depressive symptoms and academic self-image in adolescence. Psychopathology34: 57–61, 2001.
- Frigerio A, Pesenti S, Molteni M, Snider J, Battaglia M: Depressive symptoms as measured by the CDI in a population of northern Italian children. Eur Psychiatry 16: 33–37, 2001.
- Kovacs M: The Children's Depression Inventory, CDI, Manual. Ontario, Multi-Health Systems Inc, 1992.
- Polaino-Lorente A, Domenech E: Prevalence of childhood depression: Results of the first study in Spain. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 34: 1007–1017, 1993.
- Edelsohn G, Ialongo N, Werthamer–Larsson L, Crockett L, Kellam S: Self-reported depressive symptoms in first-grade children: developmentally transient phenomena? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry31: 282–290, 1992.
- Anderson JC, Williams S, McGee R., Silva PA: DSM-III disorders in preadolescent children. Prevalence in a large sample from the general population. Arch Gen Psychiatry44: 69–76, 1987.
- Costello EJ, Angold A: Scales to assess child and adolescent depression: checklist, screens, and nets. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry 27: 726-737, 1988.
- Smucker MR, Craighead WE, Craighead LW, Green BJ: Normative and reliability data for the Children's Depression Inventory. J Aborm Child Psychol 14: 25–39, 1986.
- Knight D, Hensley VR, Waters B: Validation of the Children's Depression Scale and the Children's Depression Inventory in a prepubertal sample. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 29: 853–863, 1988.
- Mattison RE, Handford HA, Kales HC, Goodman AL, McLaughlin RE: Four-year predictive value of the Children's Depression Inventory. J Consult Clin Psychol 2, 169–174, 1990.
- Ollendick TH, Yule W: Depression in British and American children, and its relation to anxiety and fear. J Consult Clin Psychol 58: 126–129, 1990.
- Fundudis T, Berney TP, Kolvin I, Famuyiwa OO, Barret L, Bhate S, Tyrer SP: Reliability and validity of two self-rating scales in the assessment of childhood depression. Br J Psychiatry159: 36–40, 1991.
- Weiss B, Weisz JR, Politano M, Carey M, Nelson WM, Finch AJ: Developmental differences in the factor structure of the Children's Depression Inventory. J Consult Clin Psychol 3, 38–45, 1991.
- Roberts RE, Chen YW: Depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation among Mexican origin and Anglo adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 34: 81–90, 1995.
- Ghareeb GA, Beshai JA: Arabic version of the Children's Depression Inventory: reliability and validity. J Clin Child Psychol 18: 323–326, 1989.
- Dong Q, Yang B, Ollendick TH: Fears in Chinese children and adolescents and their relations to anxiety and depression. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 35, 351–363, 1994.
- Charman T, Pervova I: Self-reported depressed mood in Russian and UK schoolchildren. A research note. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 37: 879–883, 1996.
- Mancinelli I, Ceciarelli L, Comparelli A, Lazanio S, Girardi P, Tatarelli R: Suicide in adolescents in Italy (1969–1994). Can J Psychiatry 46, 862, 2001.
- Camuffo M, DeGiorgis G, Mayer R: Studio sulla applicazione clinica del CDI (Children's Depression Inventory) (Engl Tr: Study on clinical use of CDI). Psichiatria dell'Infanzia e dell'Adolescenza 52: 151–162, 1985.
- Fleming JE, Offord DR. Epidemiology of childhood depressive disorders: a critical review. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 29: 571–580, 1990.
- Hodges K, Siegel LJ, Mullins L, Griffin N: Factor analysis of the Children's Depression Inventory. Psychol Rep 53: 759–763, 1983.
- Finch AJ, Saylor CF, Edwards GL: Children's Depression Inventory sex and grade norms for normal children. J Consult Clin Psychol 53: 424–25, 1985.
- Almqvist E, Ikaheimo K, Kumpulainen K, Tuompo-Johanson E, Linna S-L, Puura K, Moilanen I, Rasanen E, Tamminen T, Piha J: Design and subjects of a Finnish epidemiological study on psychiatric disorders in childhood. Eur Child & Adol Psychiat 8(Suppl 4), 3–16, 1999.
- Larson B, Melin L: Prevalence and short term stability of depressive symptoms in school children. Acta Psychiatr Scand 85: 17–22, 1992.
- Helsel WJ, Matson JL: The assessment of depression in children: the internal structure of Children's Depression Inventory (CDI). Behav Res Ther 22: 289–298, 1984.
- Saylor CF, Finch AJ, Spirito A, Bennet B: The Children's Depression inventory: a systematic evaluation of psychometric properties. J Consult Clin Psychol 52: 955–967, 1984.
- Masi G, Toni C, Perugi G, Travierso MC, Millepiedi S, Mucci M, Akiskal HS: Externalizing disorders in consecutively referred children and adolescents with bipolar disorder. Compr Psychiatry, in press.
- Self-Reported Depressive Symptoms in a School Sample of Italian Children and Adolescents
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 209-226
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- community sample