Effect of piperine on the inhibition of lung metastasis induced B16F-10 melanoma cells in mice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of piperine on the inhibition of lung metastasis induced by B16F-10 melanoma cells was studied in C57BL/6 mice. Simultaneous administration of the compound with tumor induction produced a significant reduction (95.2%) in tumor nodule formation. Increased lung collagen hydroxyproline (22.37 μg/mg protein) in the metastasized lungs of the control animals compared to normal animals (0.95 μg/mg protein) was significantly reduced (2.59 μg/mg protein) in the piperine-treated animals. The high amount of uronic acid (355.83 μg/100 mg tissue) in the metastasized control animals was significantly reduced (65 μg/100 mg tissue) in the animals treated with piperine. Lung hexosamine content was also significantly reduced in the piperine-treated animals (0.98 mg/100 mg lyophilized tissue) compared to the untreated tumor-bearing animals (4.2 mg/100 mg lyophilized tissue). The elevated levels of serum sialic acid and serum gamma glutamyl transpeptidase activity in the untreated control animals was significantly reduced in the animals treated with piperine. The piperine-treated animals even survived the experiment (90 days). Histopathology of the lung tissue also correlated with the lifespan of the drug-treated animals. Our results demonstrate the antimetastatic activity of piperine, an alkaloid present in plants such as Piper nigrum and Piper longum.
- Sugar BEV, Ketchem AS. Mechanism and presentation of cancer dissemination. An overview. Semin Oncol. 1977; 4: 19–32.
- Fidler IJ, Gertsen DM, Hart IR. The biology of cancer invasion and metastasis. Adv Cancer Res 1978; 28: 149–29. CrossRef
- Fidler IJ, Hart IR. Biological diversity in metastatic neoplasm, origin and implications. Science 1982; 217: 998–1001.
- Bruce AC. Anticancer drugs. In Devitta VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA (ed), Cancer, Principles and Practice of Oncology. Philadelphia: Lippincott 1993; 325–340.
- Poste G. Pathogenesis of metastatic disease; implications for the development of new therapeutic strategies. Cancer Treat Rep 1986; 70: 1223–7.
- Pizzo, PA. Granulocytopenia and cancer therapy: Past problems, current solutions, future challenges. Cancer 1984; 54(11): 2649. CrossRef
- Antony S, Kuttan R, Kuttan G. Effect of Viscum album in the inhibition of lung metastasis in mice induced with B16F-10 melanoma cells. J Exp Clin Can Res 1997; 46: 597–673.
- Menon LG, Kuttan R, Kuttan G. Antimetastatic activity of curcumin and catechin. Cancer Lett 1999; 141: 159–65. CrossRef
- Virinder SP, Subhash CJ, Kirpal S, Rajani J et al. Phytochemistry of genus piper. Phytochemistry 1997; 46: 597-673. CrossRef
- Atal CK, Dubey RK, Singh JJ et al. Biochemical basis of enhanced drug bioavailability by piperine, evidence that piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism. J Exp Ther 1985; 232: 258–62.
- Sambiah K, Srinivasan K. Influence of spices and principles of mixed function oxygenase system in rats. Indian J Biochem Biophys 1989; 26: 254–8.
- James V. Piperine: The treasured alkaloid in Piper nigrum. Spice India. 1999; 12: 9–12.
- Liotta LA. B16F-10 cells readily causes pulmonary metastasis after injection through tail vein. Cancer Res 1986; 46: 1–4. CrossRef
- Bergman I, Loxely R. The determination of hydroxyproline in urine hydrolysate. Clin Chim Acta 1970; 27: 347–9. CrossRef
- Bitter T, Mair AM. A modified uronic acid carbozole reaction. Anal Biochem 1962; 62(4): 330–4. CrossRef
- Schiller S, Slover A, Dortman A. A method for the separation of mucopolysaccharides, its application to the isolation of heparin from the skin of rat. J Biol Chem 1961; 236: 983–7.
- Elson LA, Morgon WTJ. A colorimetric method for the determination of glucosamine and chondrasamine. J Biochem 1993; 27: 1824–8.
- Burton MP. Glucosamine 6 phosphate from Glutamine. In Colowick SP, Kaplan NO (eds): Methods in Enzymology. New York: Academic Press 1962; 408–9.
- Voet D, Voet JG. Biochemistry. New York: John Wiley 1995; 157–258.
- Tate SS, Meister A. Inhibition of gamma glutamyl transpeptidase aninoacids, peptides and derivatives and analogs of glututhione. J Biochem 1974; 23: 1602.
- Bhavanandhan VP, Kallic AW, Banks J et al. Partial characterization of sialoglycopeptides produced by cultured human melanoma cells and melanocytes. Biochemistry 1981; 20: 3586–94. CrossRef
- Goldfarb RH, Brunson KW. Therapeutic agents for treatment of established metastases and inhibitors of metastatic spread, preclinical and clinical progress. Curr Opin Oncol 1992; 4: 1130–41.
- Jain RK. Therapeutic implications of tumor physiology. Curr Opin Oncol 1991; 3: 1105-8.
- Vedolva E, Borovansky J. Evaluation of serum sialic acid fractions as marker from malignant melanona. Cancer Lett 1994; 78: 171–5. CrossRef
- Clapper ML, Szarka CE. Glutathione S-transferases: Biomarkers of cancer risk and chemopreventive response. Chem Biol Interact 1998; 111: 377–88. CrossRef
- Stohr JR, Xiaso PG, Bauer R. Constituents of Chinese piper species and their inhibitory activity on prostaglandin and leukotriene biosynthesis in vitro. J Ethanopharmacol 2001; 75: 133–9. CrossRef
- Effect of piperine on the inhibition of lung metastasis induced B16F-10 melanoma cells in mice
Clinical & Experimental Metastasis
Volume 19, Issue 8 , pp 703-708
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors