The functional role of Gammarus(Crustacea, Amphipoda): shredders, predators, or both?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gammarus spp. are traditionally viewed under the functional feeding group (FFG) concept as herbivorous `shredders'. Although recent studies suggest that Gammarus should also be viewed as predators, this latter role remains contentious. Here, in a laboratory experiment, we objectively examine the balance between shredder and predator roles in a common freshwater species. Gammarus pulex preyed significantly on mayfly nymph, Baetis rhodani, in both the presence and absence of excess leaf material. There was no significant difference in predation where the alternative food, that is, leaf material, was present as compared to absent. Also, G. pulex shredded leaf material in the presence and absence of B. rhodani. However, shredding was significantly reduced where alternative food, that is, B. rhodani prey, was present as compared to absent. Further, G. pulex had a clear leaf species preference. Our results suggest that Gammarus function as both predators and shredders, with the balance of the two roles perhaps depending on food availability and quality. We discuss implications for the use of the FFG concept in assessing freshwater processes, and the role that Gammarus predation may play in structuring macroinvertebrate communities.
- Cruz-Rivera, E., Hay, M. E. (2000) Can quantity replace quality? Food choice, compensatory feeding and fitness of marine Mesograzers. Ecology 81: pp. 201-219
- Cummins, K. W., Klug, M. J. (1979) Feeding Ecology of stream invertebrates. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Sys. 10: pp. 147-172
- Dangles, O. J., Guerold, F. A. (2000) Linking shredders and leaf processing: Insights from an acidic stream study. Int. Rev. ges. Hydrobiol. 86: pp. 395-406
- Delong, M. D., Summers, R. B., Thorp, J. H. (1993) Influence of food type on the growth of a riverine amphipod, Gammarus fasciatus. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 50: pp. 1891-1896
- Dick, J. T. A. (1996) Post-invasion amphipod communities of Lough Neagh, Northern Ireland: influences of habitat selection and mutual predation. J. anim. Ecol. 65: pp. 756-767
- Dick, J. T. A., Platvoet, D. (2000) Invading predatory crustacean Dikerogammarus villosus eliminates both native and exotic species. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: pp. 977-983
- Dick, J. T. A., Platvoet, D., Kelly, D. W. (2002) Predatory impact of the freshwater invader, Dikerogammarus villosus (Crustacea: Amphipoda). Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 59: pp. 1048-1078
- Gee, J. H. R. (1988) Population dynamics and morphometrics of Gammarus pulex (L.): evidence of seasonal food limitation in a freshwater detritivore. Freshwat. Biol. 19: pp. 333-343
- Graca, M. A. S., Cressa, C., Gessner, M. O., Feio, M. J., Callies, K. A., Barrios, C. (2001) Food quality, feeding preferences, survival and growth of shredders from temperate and tropical streams. Freshwat. Biol. 46: pp. 947-957
- Hildrew, A. G. & P. S. Giller, 1994. Patchiness, species interactions and distribution of the stream benthos. In Giller, P. S., A. G. Hildrew & D. G. Rafaelli (eds), Aquatic Ecology. Scale, Pattern and Process. University College Cork: 649 pp.
- Jonsson, M., Malmqvist, B., Hoffsten, P. (2001) Leaf litter breakdown rates in boreal streams: does shredder species richness matter?. Freshwat. Biol. 46: pp. 161-171
- Karaman, G. S., Pinkster, S. (1977) Freshwater Gammarus species from Europe, North Africa and adjacent regions of Asia (Crustacea-Amphipoda). Bijdr. Dierk 47: pp. 1-97
- Kelly, D.W., Dick, J. T. A., Montgomery, W. I. (2002) Predation on mayfly nymph, Baetis rhodani, by native and introduced Gammarus spp. (Amphipoda): direct effects and the facilitation of predation by salmonids. Freshwat. Biol. 47: pp. 1257-1268
- MacNeil, C., Dick, J. T. A., Elwood, R. W. (1997) The trophic ecology of freshwater Gammarus spp. (Crustacea: Amphipoda): Problems and perspectives concerning the functional feeding group concept. Biol. Rev. 72: pp. 349-364
- MacNeil, C., Montgomery, W. I., Dick, J. T. A., Elwood, R. W. (2001) Factors influencing the distribution of native and introduced Gammarus spp. in Irish river systems. Arch. Hydrobiol. 151: pp. 353-368
- Mihuc, T. B. (1997) The functional trophic role of lotic primary consumers: generalist versus specialist strategies. Freshwat. Biol. 37: pp. 466-462
- Murphy, J., Giller, P. S. (2000) Seasonal dynamics of macroinvertebrate assemblages in the benthos and associated with detritus packs in two low order streams with different riparian vegetation. Freshwat. Biol. 43: pp. 617-631
- Otto, C. (1998) Factors affecting the disjunct distribution of amphipods along a North Swedish river. Oikos 83: pp. 21-28
- Pockl, M. (1995) Laboratory studies on growth, feeding, moulting and mortality in the freshwater amphipods Gammarus fossarum and G. roeseli. Arch. Hydrobiol. 134: pp. 223-253
- Rawer-Jost, C., Bohmer, J., Blank, J., Rahmann, H. (2000) Macroinvertebrate functional feeding group methods in ecological assessment. Hydrobiologia 422: pp. 225-232
- Resh, V. H., Norris, R. H., Barbour, M. T. (1995) Design and implementation of rapid assessment approaches for water resource monitoring using benthic macroinvertebrates. Aust. J. Ecol. 20: pp. 108-121
- Savage, A. A. (2000) Community structure during a 27 year study of the macroinvertberate fauna of a chemically unstable lake. Hydrobiologia 421: pp. 115-127
- Sih, A., Wooster, D. E. (1994) Prey behaviour, prey dispersal, and predator impacts on stream prey. Ecology 75: pp. 1199-1207
- Sokal, R. R. & F. Rohlf, 1995. Biometry. Freeman.
- Vannote, R. L., Minshall, G. W., Cummins, K. W., Sedell, J. R., Cushing, C. E. (1980) The River Continuum Concept. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 37: pp. 130-137
- Vassallo, L., Steele, D. H. (1980) Survival and growth of young Gammarus lawrencianus Bousfield, 1956, on different diets. Crustaceana (Suppl.) 6: pp. 118-125
- Willoughby, L. G., Sutcliffe, D.W. (1976) Experiments on feeding and growth of the amphipod Gammarus pulex (L.) related to its distribution in the River Duddon. Freshwat. Biol. 6: pp. 577-586
- The functional role of Gammarus(Crustacea, Amphipoda): shredders, predators, or both?
Volume 485, Issue 1-3 , pp 199-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- functional feeding group
- Industry Sectors