A Proposed Coast-Wide Reference Monitoring System for Evaluating Wetland Restoration Trajectories in Louisiana
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Wetland restoration efforts conducted in Louisiana under the Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection and Restoration Act require monitoring the effectiveness of individual projects as well as monitoring the cumulative effects of all projects in restoring, creating, enhancing, and protecting the coastal landscape. The effectiveness of the traditional paired-reference monitoring approach in Louisiana has been limited because of difficulty in finding comparable reference sites. A multiple reference approach is proposed that uses aspects of hydrogeomorphic functional assessments and probabilistic sampling. This approach includes a suite of sites that encompass the range of ecological condition for each stratum, with projects placed on a continuum of conditions found for that stratum. Trajectories in reference sites through time are then compared with project trajectories through time. Plant community zonation complicated selection of indicators, strata, and sample size. The approach proposed could serve as a model for evaluating wetland ecosystems.
- Brinson, M. M.: 1993, ‘A Hydrogeomorphic Classification for Wetlands’, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, MS, Wetlands Research Program Technical Report WRP-DE-4.
- Brinson, M. M., Kruczynski, W., Lee, L. C., Nutter, W. L., Smith, R. D., Whigham, D. F. Developing an Approach for Assessing the Functions of Wetlands. In: Mitsch, W. J. eds. (1994) Global Wetlands: Old World and New. Elsevier Science, NY, pp. 615-624
- Brinson, M. M., Rheinhardt, R. (1996) The Role of Reference Wetlands in Functional Assessment and Mitigation. Ecological Applications 6: pp. 69-76
- Chabreck, R. H.: 1972, ‘Vegetation, Water, and Soil Characteristics of the Louisiana Coastal Region’, Louisiana State University, Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin 664.
- Chabreck, R. H., Linscombe, J. (1997) Vegetation Type Map of the Louisiana Coastal Marshes. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, New Orleans, LA
- Crowley, P. H. (1992) Resampling Methods for Computation Intensive Data Analysis in Ecology and Evolution. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 23: pp. 405-447
- Green, R. H. (1979) Sampling Design and Statistical Methods for Environmental Biologists. Wiley Interscience, Chichester, England
- Leibowitz, N. C., Squires, L., Baker, J. P. (1991) Research Plan for Monitoring Wetland Ecosystems, EPA/600/3–91/010. Environmental Research Laboratory, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis, OR
- Louisiana Coastal Wetlands Conservation and Restoration Task Force (LCWCRTF): 1997, ‘The 1997 Evaluation Report to the U.S. Congress on the Effectiveness of Louisiana Coastal Wetland Restoration Projects’, Baton Rouge, LA, 76 pp.
- Louisiana Coastal Wetlands Conservation and Restoration Task Force (LCWCRTF): 1998, ‘Coast 2050: Toward a Sustainable Coastal Louisiana’, Baton Rouge, LA, 161 pp.
- Malaeb, Z. A.: 1997, ‘CWPPRA Sample Size Determination and Sampling Design Issues’, 2 Volume Report to Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Novitzki, R. P. EMAP-Wetlands: A Program for Assessing Wetland Condition. In: Mitsch, W. J. eds. (1994) Global Wetlands: Old World and New. Elsevier Science, NY, pp. 691-709
- Steyer, G. D., Raynie, R. C., Steller, D. L., Fuller, D., Swenson, E. (1995) Quality Management Plan for Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection, and Restoration Act Monitoring Program. Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, Coastal Restoration Division, Baton Rouge
- Thornton, K. W., Saul, G. E., Hyatt, D. E. (1994) Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program Assessment Framework. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, EMAP Center, Research Triangle Park, NC
- Underwood, A. J. (1991) Beyond BACI: Experimental Designs for Detecting Human Environmental Impacts on Temporal Variation in Natural Populations'. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Restoration 42: pp. 569-587
- Underwood, A. J. (1992) Beyond BACI: The Detection of Environmental Impacts on Populations in the Real, but Variable World. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 161: pp. 145-178
- Underwood, A. J. (1994) On Beyond BACI: Sampling Designs that Might Reliably Detect Environmental Disturbances. Ecological Applications 41: pp. 3-15
- Visser, J. M. and Sasser, C. E.: 1998, ‘1997 Coastal Vegetation Analysis’, Report to Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, Baton Rouge, LA.
- A Proposed Coast-Wide Reference Monitoring System for Evaluating Wetland Restoration Trajectories in Louisiana
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 81, Issue 1-3 , pp 107-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- wetland restoration
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. U.S. Geological Survey, National Wetlands Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, U.S.A
- 2. Louisiana State University Coastal Ecology Institute, Baton Rouge, LA, U.S.A
- 3. Wildlife and Fisheries, Louisiana State University School of Forestry, Baton Rouge, LA, U.S.A
- 4. Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, Baton Rouge, LA, U.S.A