A Survey of Burnout Among Mental Health Center Directors in a Rural State
- Barbara M. Rohland
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The executive directors of all Iowa community mental health centers were surveyed in order to determine the relationship between work environment and job burnout. Organizational characteristics related to “rurality,” i.e., location in a rural county, fewer employees, smaller budgets, and more time spent in direct clinical care, were not associated with burnout among directors in this rural state. Implications of the effect of service reorganization on burnout in human service providers in regard to rural health policy, work force issues, and directions for future research are discussed.
- Carver,C.S.(1997).You want to measure coping but your protocol's too long:Consider the Brief COPE.International Journal of Behavioral Medicine,492–100.
- Carver,C.S., Scheier,M.F., & Weintraub,J.K.(1989).Assessing coping strategies:A theoretically based approach.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology,56267–283.
- Chalifoux,Z., Neese,J.B., Buckwalter,K.C., Litwak,E., & Abraham,I.L.(1996).Mental health services for rural elderly:Innovative service strategies.Community Mental Health Journal,32463–480.
- Fennell,D.L., Hovestadt,A.J., & Cochran,S.W.(1987).Characteristics of effective administrators of rural mental health centers.Journal of Rural Community Psychology 8(1)23–35.
- Freund,C.M., & Sarata,B.(1983).Work and community satisfaction of psychologists in rural and non-rural areas.Journal of Rural Community Psychology,4(2)19–28.
- Greenley,J.R., & Schulz,R.(1997).Staff burnout and rural mental health services.Rural Community Mental Health,21(3)1–7.
- Human,J., & Wasem,C.(1991).Rural mental health in America.American Psychologist,46232–239.
- Jerrell,J.M.(1983).Work satisfaction among rural mental health staff.Community Mental Health Jour-nal,19187–200.
- Kandolin,I.(1993).Burnout of female and male nurses in shiftwork.Ergonomics,36 (Night and Shift-work 1–3),141–147.
- Kane,C.F., & Ennis,J.M.(1996).Health care reform and rural mental health:Severe mental illness. Community Mental Health Journal,32445–462.
- Leiter,M.P., & Harvie,P.L.(1996).Burnout among mental health workers:A review and a research agenda.International Journal of Social Psychiatry,42(2)90–101.
- Maslach,C., Jackson,J.E., & Leiter,M.P.(19%).Maslach Burnout Inventory manual(3rd ed.).Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologist Press.
- Merwin,E.I., Goldsmith,H.F., & Manderscheid,R.W.(1995).Human resource issues in rural mental health services.Community Mental Health Journal,31525–537.
- Oberlander,L.B.(1990).Work satisfaction among community-based mental health service providers: The association between work environment and work satisfaction.Community Mental Health Journal, 26517–532.
- Perlman,B., Hartman,E.A., & Bosak,J.(1984).A study of mental health administrators and systems utilizing a four-part rural/urban taxonomy.Community Mental Health Journal,20202–211.
- Rohland,B.M.(1998).Implementation of Medicaid managed mental health care in Iowa:Problems and solutions.Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research,25293–299.
- Shelton,D.A., & Frank,R.(1995).Rural mental health coverage under health care reform.Community Mental Health Journal,31539–552.
- Thornton,P.I.(1992).The relationship of coping,appraisal,and burnout in mental health workers. Journal of Psychology 126261–271.
- Wagenfeld,M.O., Murray,J.D., Mohatt,D.F., & DeBruyn,J.C.(1994).Mental health and rural America: 1980–1993.An overview and annotated bibliography(DHHS Publication No.94–3500).Washington DC: U.S.Government Printing Office.
- Weiss,D.J., Dawis,R.V., England,G.W., & Lofquist,L.H.(1967).Manual for the Minnesota Satisfaction QuestionnaireMinneapolis,MN: University of Minnesota.
- A Survey of Burnout Among Mental Health Center Directors in a Rural State
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 27, Issue 4 , pp 221-237
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, USA