Electrical Resistivity Index in Multiphase Flow through Porous Media
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The simultaneous flow of two phases through a three-dimensional porous medium is calculated by means of a Lattice-Boltzmann algorithm. The time-dependent phase configurations can be derived and also macroscopic quantities such as the relative permeabilities. When one phase only is supposed to be conductive, the Laplace equation which governs electrical conduction can be solved in each phase configuration; an instantaneous value of the macroscopic conductivity is obtained and it is averaged over many configurations. The influence of saturation on the resistivity index is studied for six different samples and two viscosity ratios. The saturation exponent is systematically determined. The numerical results are also compared to other possible models and also to experimental results; finally, they are discussed and criticized.
- Adler, P. M.: 1992, Porous Media: Geometry and Transports, Butterworth, Heinemann.
- Adler, P. M., Jacquin, C. G. and Quiblier, J. A.: 1990, Flow in simulated porous media, Int. J. Multiphase Flow 16, 691–712.
- Adler, P. M. and Thovert, J.-F.: 1998, Real porous media: local geometry and macroscopic properties, Appl. Mech. Rev. 51, 537–585.
- Adler, R. J.: 1981, The Geometry of Random Fields, Wiley, New-York.
- Aker, E., Maloy, K. J., Hansen A. and Batrouni G. G.: 1998, A two-dimensional network simulator for two-phase flow in porous media, Transport in Porous Media 32, 163–186.
- Archie, G. E.: 1942, The electrical resistivity as an aid in determining some resrvoir characteristics, Trans. Am. Inst. Metal. Eng. 146, 54–62.
- Auzerais, F. M., Dunsmuir, J., Ferréol, B. B., Martys, N., Olson, J., Ramakrishnan, T. S., Rothman, D. H. and Schwartz, L. M.: 1996, Transport in sandstone: a study based on three dimensional microtomography, Geophys. Res. Lett. 23, 705–708.
- Békri, S., Xu, K., Yousefian, F., Adler, P. M., Thovert, J.-F., Muller, J., Iden, K., Psyllos, A., Stubos, A. K. and Ioannidis, M. A.: 2000, Pore geometry and transport properties in North Sea chalk, J. Petr. Sci. Eng. 25, 107–134.
- Blunt, M. and King P.: 1991, Relative permeabilities from two-and three-dimensional pore scale network modelling, Transport in Porous Media 6, 407.
- Coelho, D., Shapiro, M., Thovert, J.-F. and Adler, P. M.: 1996, Electroosmotic phenomena in porous media, J. Coll. Interf. Sci. 51, 5017–5041.
- Constandinides, G. N. and Payatakes, A. C.: 1996, Network simulation of steady-state two-phase flow in consolidated porous media, Aiche J. 42, 369–382.
- de Wall, J. A., Smits, R. M. M., de Graaf, J. D. and Schipper, B. A.: Measurement and evaluation of resistivity-index curves, Log Analyst 32, 583–595.
- Ginzbourg, I. and Adler, P. M.: 1995, Surface tension models with different viscosities, Transport in Porous Media 20, 37–76.
- Gunstensen: 1992, Lattice-Boltzmann studies of multiphase flow through porous media, Ph.D. Thesis, MIT.
- Hazlett, R. D., Chen, S. Y. and Soll, W. E.: 1998, Wettability and rate effects on immiscible displacement: lattice Boltzmann simulation in microtomographic images of reservoir rocks,J. Pet. Sci. Eng. 20, 167–175.
- Howard, J.: 1999, Applications of pore-scale modeling to formation evaluation: critical assessment of its potential at Ekofisk field, Internal Report 15776, Phillips Petrolum Company.
- Johnson, D. L., Koplik, J. and Schwartz, L.: 1986, New pore-size parameter characterizing transport in porous media, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 2564–2567.
- Man, H. N. and Jing, X. D.: 2000, Pore network modelling of electrical resistivity and capillary pressure characteristics, Transport in Porous Media 41, 263–286.
- Martys, N. and Garboczi, E.: 1992, Length scales relating the fluid permeability and electrical conductivity in random two-dimensional model porous media, Phys. Rev. B 46, 6080–6090.
- Pengra, D. B., Li, S., LI, S. X. and Wong, P. Z.: 1995, in: J. M. Drake, J. Klafter, R. Kopelman and S. M. Troian (eds), Dynamics in Small Confining Systems II, Mat. Res. Sco. Symp. Proc. Vol. 366.
- Quiblier, J. A.: 1984, A new three-dimensional modeling technique for studying porous media, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 98, 84–102.
- Sahimi, M.: 1995, Flow and Transport in Porous Media and Fractured Rock, VCH, Weiheim.
- Sprunt, E. S., Hensel, Jr., W. M., York, C. E. and Honarpur, M. M., 1988, Compilation of electrical resistivity measurements performed by twenty-five laboratories, Log Analyst 29, 13–29.
- Sharma, M. M., Garrouch, A. and Dunlap, H. F.: 1991, Effects of wettability, pore geometry, and stress on electrical conduction in fluid-saturated rocks, Log Analyst 32, 511–526.
- Suman, R. J., Knight, R. J.: 1997, Effects of pore structure and wettability on the electrical resistivity of partially saturated rocks — A network study, Geophysics 62, 1151–1162.
- Thovert, J.-F., Sallès, J. and Adler, P. M.: 1993, Computerized characterization of the geometry of real porous media: their discretization, analysis and interpretation, J. Microscopy 170, 65–79.
- Tsakiroglou, C. D. and Fleury, M.: 1999, Pore network analysis of resistivity index for water-wet porous media, Transport in Porous Media 35, 89–128.
- Vizika, O., Avraam, D. G. and Payatakes, A. C.: 1994, Parametric experimental study of forced imbibition in porous media, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 165, 386.
- Zhou, D., Arbabi, S. and Stenby, E. H.: 1997, A percolation study of wettability effect on the electrical properties of reservoir rocks, Transport in Porous Media 29, 85–98.
- Electrical Resistivity Index in Multiphase Flow through Porous Media
Transport in Porous Media
Volume 51, Issue 1 , pp 41-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- reconstructed porous media
- multiphase flow
- relative permeability
- electrical conductivity
- resistivity index
- Industry Sectors