A Simple Incomplete Extension of T which is the Union of Two Complete Modal Logics with f.m.p.
- Roy A. Benton
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I present here a modal extension of T called KTLM which is, by several measures, the simplest modal extension of T yet presented. Its axiom uses only one sentence letter and has a modal depth of 2. Furthermore, KTLM can be realized as the logical union of two logics KM and KTL which each have the finite model property (f.m.p.), and so themselves are complete. Each of these two component logics has independent interest as well.
- van Benthem, J. F. A. K.: Two simple incomplete modal logics, Theoria 44 (1978), 25-37.
- van Benthem, J. F. A. K.: Canonical modal logics and ultrafilter extensions, J. Symbolic Logic 44 (1979), 1-8.
- Benton, R. A.: General modal incompleteness and finite axiomatizability, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, 1985, University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, 1985.
- Boolos, G. and Sambin, G.: An incomplete system of modal logic, J. Philos. Logic 14 (1985), 351-358.
- Chellas, B.: Modal Logic: An Introduction, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1980.
- Cresswell, M. J.: Magari's theorem via the recession frame, J. Philos. Logic 16 (1987), 13-15.
- Fine, K.: Normal forms in modal logic, Notre Dame J. Formal Logic 16 (1975), 229-234.
- Fine, K.: Some connections between elementary and modal logic, in S. Kanger (ed.), Proceedings of the Third Scandinavian Logic Symposium, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975, pp. 15-31.
- Lewis, D.: Intensional logics without iterative axioms, J. Philos. Logic 3 (1974), 457-466.
- Magari, R.: Primi resultati sulla varieta di Boolos, Boll. Un. Mat. Ital. (6) 1-B (1982), 359-367.
- Makinson, D. C.: A normal modal calculus between T and S4 without the finite model property, J. Symbolic Logic 34 (1969), 35-38.
- Thomason, S. K.: An incompleteness theorem in modal logic, Theoria 60 (1974), 30-34.
- A Simple Incomplete Extension of T which is the Union of Two Complete Modal Logics with f.m.p.
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 31, Issue 6 , pp 527-541
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- model property
- modal logic
- Roy A. Benton (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Mathematics & Philosophy, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, MD, 20912, USA