Monitoring the setting of calcium-based bone cements using pulse-echo ultrasound
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a new technique, based on pulse-echo ultrasound, for monitoring the entire setting process of injectable bone cement. This research has been motivated by the lack of satisfying standards. The main problem with existing standards is the subjectivity, which leads to poor reproducibility. Because of this the results are not comparable between different research groups. A strong advantage with the proposed technique is that if low-intensity ultrasound is used, it provides a non-destructive analysis method. Once the cement paste has been applied to the measurement cell, no manipulation is needed throughout the entire setting process. The problem of the ultrasound affecting the setting of certain cement materials has been investigated, and solutions are discussed. The propagation of ultrasound is temperature-dependent, and therefore a technique for automatic compensation for temperature variations is discussed briefly. The testing was performed on α-calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CSH) and mixtures of CSH and α-tricalcium phosphate (α-TCP). The results show that the acoustic properties of the cement are strongly correlated with the setting time, the density, and the adiabatic bulk modulus. The measured initial and final setting times agree well with the Gillmore needles standard. An important difference compared to the standards, is that the technique presented here allows the user to follow the entire setting process on-line.
- Nilsson, M., FernÁndez, E., Sarda, S., Lidgren, L., Planell, J. A. (2002) Key. Eng. Mater. 218–220: pp. 365
- Astm C266-89, in “Annual Book of ASTM Standards”, Vol. 04.01: Cement, Lime, Gypsum (Philadelphia, 1993) pp. 189-191.
- Astm C191-92, in “Annual Book of ASTM Standards”, Vol. 04.01: Cement, Lime, Gypsum (Philadelphia, 1993) pp. 158-160.
- R. Wenz, M. G. Boltong and F. C. M. Driessens, in “Transactions Vol. I of the VIth World Biomaterials Congress”, edited by Society for Biomaterials, (Hawaii, May 2000), p. 339.
- F. C. M. Driessens, I. Khairoun, M. G. Boltong and R. Wenz, in “Transactions Vol. III of the VIth World Biomaterials Congress”, edited by Society for Biomaterials, (Hawaii, May 2000), p. 1107.
- Bohner, M. (2001) Eur. Spine J. 10: pp. 114
- Bonesource, http://www.tarma.es/tarma/BoneSource.html (9 February 2002).
- Driessens, F. C. M., Planell, J. A., Boltong, M. G., Khairoun, I., Ginebra, M. P. (1998) Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 212: pp. 427
- Ginebra, M. P., FernÁndez, E., Boltong, M. G., BermÚdez, O., Planell, J. A., Driessens, F. C. M. (1994) Clin. Mater. 17: pp. 99
- Sarda, S., FernÁndez, E., Llorens, J., MartÍnez, S., Nilsson, M., Planell, J. A. (2001) Mater. Sci: Mater. in Med. 12: pp. 905
- Viano, A. M., Auwarter, J. A., Rho, J. Y., Hoffmeister, B. K. (2001) J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 56: pp. 593
- Ginebra, M. P., FernÁndez, E., De Maeyer, E. A. P., Verbeeck, R. M. H., Boltong, M. G., Ginebra, J., Driessens, F. C. M., Planell, J. A. (1997) J. Dent. Res. 76: pp. 905
- Kinsler, L. E., Frey, A. R., Coppens, A. B., Sanders, J. V. (1982) Fundamentals of Acoustics. John Wiley, New York
- L. C. Lynnworth, in “Ultrasonics Mass Flowmeter for Army Aircraft Engine Diagnostics. National Technical Information Services” (Springfield, 1973).
- J. Van Deventer, Ph.D Thesis, Luleå University of Technology (2001).
- Freemantle, R. J., Challis, R. E. (1998) Meas. Sci. Technol. 9: pp. 1291
- Van Deventer, J., Delsing, J. (2001) IEEE Trans. Ultras. Ferroelect., Freq. Contr. 48: pp. 675
- Grennberg, A., Sandell, M. (1994) IEEE Trans. Ultras. Ferroelect., Freq. Contr. 41: pp. 588
- D. R. Lide (editor), in “CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics”, 79th edn (CRC Press, 1998).
- Wunderlich, W. (1989) Polymer Handbook. Wiley-Interscience, New York
- Van Deventer, J., LÖfqvist, T., Delsing, J. (2000) IEEE Trans. Ultras. Ferroelect., Freq. Contr. 47: pp. 1014
- Kaye, G. W. C., Laby, T. H. (1995) Tables of Physical and Chemical Constants. Longman, London
- Fung, Y. C. (1965) Foundations of solid mechanics. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey
- Lewry, A. J., Williamson, J. (1994) J. Mater. Sci. 29: pp. 5524
- JØrgensen, K. D., Posner, A. S. (1959) J. Dent. Res. 38: pp. 491
- Monitoring the setting of calcium-based bone cements using pulse-echo ultrasound
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 12 , pp 1135-1141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biomaterials Lab, Department of Orthopaedics, Biomedical Centre, C12, SE-221 84, Lund, Sweden
- 2. EISLAB, Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Luleå University of Technology, SE-971 87, Luleå, Sweden
- 3. Research Centre in Biomedical Engineering, Biomaterials Division, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Polytechnical University of Catalonia, Avda Diagonal 647, 08028, Barcelona, Spain