Identification of water-deficit responsive genes in maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) roots
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Root adaptation to soil environmental factors is very important to maritime pine, the main conifer species used for reforestation in France. The range of climates in the sites where this species is established varies from flooded in winter to drought-prone in summer. No studies have yet focused on the morphological, physiological or molecular variability of the root system to adapt its growth to such an environment. We developed a strategy to isolate drought-responsive genes in the root tissue in order to identify the molecular mechanisms that trees have evolved to cope with drought (the main problem affecting wood productivity), and to exploit this information to improve drought stress tolerance. In order to provide easy access to the root system, seedlings were raised in hydroponic solution. Polyethylene glycol was used as an osmoticum to induce water deficit. Using the cDNA-AFLP technique, we screened more than 2500 transcript derived fragments, of which 33 (1.2%) showed clear variation in presence/absence between non stressed and stressed medium. The relative abundance of these transcripts was then analysed by reverse northern. Only two out of these 33 genes showed significant opposite behaviour between both techniques. The identification and characterization of water-deficit responsive genes in roots provide the emergence of physiological understanding of the patterns of gene expression and regulation involved in the drought stress response of maritime pine.
- Arabidopsis Genome Initiative. 2000. Analysis of the genome se-quence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 408: 796-815.
- Aziz, A. and Larher, F. 1998. Osmotic stress induced changes in lipid composition and peroxidation in leaf discs of Brassica napus L. J. Plant. Physiol. 153: 754-762.
- Bachem, C.W.B., van der Hoeven, R.S., de Bruijn, S.M., Vreug-denhil, D., Zabeau, M. and Visser, R.G.F. 1996. Visualisation of differential gene expression using a novel method of RNA fin-gerprinting based on AFLP: analysis of gene expression during potato tuber development. Plant J. 9: 745-753.
- Bassam, B.J., Caetano-Anolles, G. and Gresshoff, P.M. 1991. Fast and sensitive silver staining of DNA in polyacrylamide gels. Anal. Biochem. 196: 80-83.
- Brendel, O., Pot, D., Plomion, C., Rozenberg, P. and Guehl, J.M. 2002. Genetic parameters and QTL analysis of ä 13 C and ring width in maritime pine. Plant Cell Env. (in press).
- Büssis, D., Kauder, F. and Heineke, D. 1998. Acclimation of potato plants to polyethylene glycol-induced water deficit. I. Photosynthesis and metabolism. J. Exp. Bot. 49: 1349-1360.
- Chalhoub, B.A., Thibault, S., Laucou, V., Rameau, C., Höfte, H. and Cousin, R. 1997. Silver staining and recovery of AFLP amplification products on large denaturing polyacrylamide gel. BioTechniques 22: 216-220.
- Champoux, M.C., Wang, G., Sarkarung, S., Mackill, D.J., O'Toole, C.O., Huang, N. and McCouch, S.R. 1995. Locating genes as-sociated with root morphology and drought avoidance in rice via linkage to molecular markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 90: 969-981.
- Chang, S., Puryear, J. and Cairney, J. 1993. A simple and efficient method for isolating RNA from pine trees. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 11: 113-116.
- Chang, S., Puryear, J.D., Dias, M., Funkhouser, E.A., Newton, R.J. and Cairney, J. 1995. Gene expression under water deficit in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.): isolation and characterization of cDNA clones. Physiol. Plant. 97: 139-148.
- Costa, P. 1999. Réponse moléculaire, physiologique et génétique du pin maritime à une contrainte hydrique. PhD thesis, Université Henry Poincaré, Nancy, France, 116 pp.
- Cushman, J.C. and Bohnert, H.J. 2000. Genomic approaches to plant stress tolerance. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 3: 117-124.
- Dellagi, A., Birch, P.R.J., Heilbronn, J., Lyon, G.D. and Toth, I.K. 2000. cDNA-AFLP analysis of differential gene expression in the prokaryotic plant pathogen Erwinia carotovora. Microbiology 146: 165-171.
- Desprez, T., Amselem, J., Caboche, M. and Höfte, H. 1998. Dif-ferential gene expression in Arabidopsis monitored using cDNA arrays. Plant J. 14: 643-652.
- Diatchenko, L.D., Lau, Y., Campbell, A.P., Chenchik, A., Mo-qadam, F., Huang, B., Lukyanov, S., Gurskaya, N., Sverdlov, E.D. and Siebert, P.D. 1996. Suppression subtractive hybridiza-tion: a method for generating differentially regulated or tissue-specific cDNA probes and libraries. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 6025-6030.
- Durrant, W.E., Rowland, O., Piedras, P., Hammond-Kosack, K.E. and Jones, J.D.G. 2000. cDNA-AFLP reveals a striking overlap in race-specific resistance and wound response gene expression profiles. Plant Cell 12: 963-977.
- Guyon, J.P. and Kremer, A. 1982. Stabilité phenotypique de la crois-sance en hauteur et cinétique journalière de pression de sève et de la transpiration chez le pin maritime (Pinus pinaster Ait.). Can. J. For. Res. 12: 936-946.
- Habu, Y., Fukada-Tanaka, S., Hisatomi, Y. and Iida, S. 1997. Am-plified restriction fragment length polymorphism-based mRNA fingerprinting using a single restriction enzyme that recognizes a 4-bp sequence. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Com. 234: 516-521.
- Hubank, M. and Schatz, D.G. 1994. Identifying differences in mRNA expression by representational difference analysis of cDNA. Nucl. Acids. Res. 22: 5640-5648.
- Ishitani, M., Nakamura, T., Han, S.Y. and Takabe, T. 1995. Ex-pression of the betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in barley in response to osmotic stress and abscisic acid. Plant Mol. Biol. 27: 307-315.
- Jones, J.T. and Harrower, B.E. 1998. A comparison of the efficiency of differential display and cDNA-AFLPs as tools for the isolation of differentially expressed parasite genes. Fund. Appl. Nematol. 21: 81-88.
- Jones, C.S., Davies, H.V. and Taylor, M.A. 2000. Profiling of changes in gene expression during raspberry (Rubus ideaus) fruit ripening by application of RNA fingerprinting techniques. Planta 211: 708-714.
- Kawalleck, P., Plesch, G., Hahlbrock, K. and Somssich, I.E. 1992. Induction by fungal elicitor of S-adenosyl-L-methionine synthase and S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine hydrolase mRNAsin cultured cells and leaves of Petroselinum crispum. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89: 4713-4717.
- Kinlaw, C.S. and Neale, D.B. 1997. Complex gene families in pine genomes. Trends Plant Sci. 2: 356-359.
- Leone, A., Costa, A., Tucci, M. and Grillo, S. 1994. Compara-tive analysis of short-and long-term changes in gene expression caused by low water potential in potato (Solanum tuberosum) cell-suspension cultures. Plant. Physiol. 106: 703-712.
- Liang, P. and Pardee, A.B. 1992. Differential display of eukary-otic messenger RNA by means of the polymerase chain reaction. Science 257: 967-971.
- Liotenberg, S., North, H. and Marion-Poll, A. 1999. Molecular biol-ogy and regulation of abscisic acid biosynthesis in plants. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 37: 341-350.
- McCully, M.E. 1999. Roots in soil: unearthing the complexities of roots and their rhizospheres. Annu. Rev. Plant. Mol. Biol. 50: 695-718.
- Mittler, R. and Zilinskas, B.A. 1994. Regulation of pea cytoso-lic ascorbate peroxidase and other antioxidant enzymes during the progression of drought stress and following recovery from drought. Plant. J. 5: 397-405.
- Montero, E., Cabot, C., Poschenrieder, C.H. and Barcelo, J. 1998. Relative importance of osmotic-stress and ion-specific ef-fects on ABA-mediated inhibitation of leaf expansion growth in Phaseolus vulgaris. Plant Cell Env. 21: 54-62.
- N'Guyen, A. and Lamant, A. 1988. Pinitol and myo-inositol ac-cumulation in water-stressed seedlings of maritime pine. Phyto-chemistry 27: 3423-3427.
- N'Guyen, A. and Lamant, A. 1989. Variation in growth and os-motic regulation of roots of water-stressed maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) provenances. Tree Physiol. 5: 123-133.
- N'Guyen-Queyrens, A., Ferhi, A., Loustau, D. and Guehl, J.M. 1998. Within ä 13 C spatial variability and interannual varia-tions in wood cellulose of two contrasting provenances of Pinus pinaster. Can. J. For. Res. 28: 766-773.
- N'Guyen-Queyrens, A., Costa, P., Loustau, D. and Plomion, C. 2002. Osmotic adjustment in Pinus pinaster cuttings in response to a soil drying cycle. Ann. For. Sci. (in press).
- Parry, M.L. 2000. Assessment of potential effects and adaptations for climate change in Europe: summary and conclusions. Jackson Environment Institute, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, 24 pp.
- Peng, Z., Lu, Q. and Verma, D..P..S. 1996. Reciprocal regulation of 1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase and proline dehydroge-nase genes controls proline levels during and after osmotic stress in plants. Mol. Gen. Genet. 253: 334-341.
- Piétu, G., Mariage-Samson, R., Fayein, N., Matigou, C., Eveno, E., Houlgatte, R., Decraene, C., Vandenbrouck, Y., Tahi, F., Devignes, M., Wirkner, U., Ansorge, W., Cox, D., Nagase, T., Nomura, N. and Auffray, C. 1999. The Genexpress IMAGE knowledge base of the human brain transcriptome: a prototype integrated resource for functional and computational genomics. Genome Res. 9: 195-209.
- Plomion, C., Hurme, P., Frigerio, J.-M., Ridolphi, M., Pot, D., Pionneau, C., Avila, C., Gallardo, F., David, H., Neutlings, G., Campbell, M., Canovas, F.M., Savolainen, O., Bodénès, C. and Kremer, A. 1999. Developing SSCP markers in two Pinus species. Mol. Breed. 5: 21-31.
- Price, A.H., Steele, K.A., Moore, B.J., Barraclough, P.B. and Clark, L.J. 2000. A combined RFLP and AFLP linkage map of upland rice (Oryza sativa L.) used to identify QTLs for root-penetration ability. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100: 49-56.
- Riccardi, F., Gazeau, P., de Vienne, D. and Zivy, M. 1998. Protein changes in response to progressive water deficit in maize. Plant Physiol. 117: 1253-1263.
- Rychlik, W. 1995. Priming efficiency in PCR. BioTechniques 18: 84-89.
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. and Maniatis, T. 1989. Small-scale preparation of plasmid DNA. In: Molecular Ccloning: A Lab-oratory Manual, 2nd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Plainview, NY, pp. 1: 25-28.
- Schena, M., Shalon, D., Davis, R.W. and Brown, P.O. 1995. Quantitative monitoring of gene expression patterns with a com-plementary DNA microarray. Science 270: 467-470.
- Seillac, P. 1960. Contribution à l'étude de la nutrition du pin mar-itime: variation saisonnière de la teneur des pseudophylles en azote, potassium et acide phosphorique. PhD thesis, Université de Bordeaux, France.
- Seki, M., Narusaka, M., Abe, H., Kasuga, M., Yamaguchi-Shinozaki, K., Carninci, P., Hayashizaki, Y. and Shinozaki, K. 2001. Monitoring the expression pattern of 1300 Arabidopsis genes under drought and cold stresses by using a full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Cell 13: 61-72.
- Shoko, K., Tadashi, O., Hiroko, K., Osamu, C. and Kousaku, O. 1999. Expression profiling by iAFLP: a PCR-based method for genome-wide gene expression profiling. Genome Res. 9: 1305-1312.
- Tudela, D. and Primo-Millo, E. 1992. 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid transported from roots to shoots promotes leaf abscission in Cleopatra mandarin (Citrus reshni Hort. ex Tan.) seedlings rehydrated after water stress. Plant Physiol. 100: 131-137.
- Velculescu, V.E., Zhang, L., Vogelstein, B. and Kinzler, K.W. 1995. Serial analysis of gene expression. Science 270: 484-487.
- Voiblet, C., Duplessis, S., Encelot, N. and Martin, F. 2000. Iden-tification of symbiosis-regulated genes in Eucalyptus globulus -Pisolithus tinctorius ectomycorrhiza by differential hybridiza-tion of arrayed cDNAs. Plant J. 25: 181-191.
- Wang, S.X., Hunter, W. and Plant, A. 2000. Isolation and purifica-tion of functional total RNA from woody branches and needles of sitka and white spruce. BioTechniques 28: 292-296.
- Xu, N., Johns, B., Pullman, G.S. and Cairney, J. 1997. Rapid and reliable differential display from minute amounts of tissue: mass cloning and characterization of differentially expressed genes from loblolly pine embryos. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 15: 377-391.
- Zegzouti, H., Marty, C., Jones, B., Bouquin, T., Latché, A., Pech, J. and Bouzayen, M. 1997. Improved screening of cDNA gener-ated by mRNA differential display enables the selection of true positives and the isolation of weakly expressed messages. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 15: 238-245.
- Zhou, L.J. and Ye, C.L. 1999. Effect of hight temperature stress on metabolism of nitrogen and carbohydrates in seedlings of cucumber. J. Fujian Agric. Univ. 28: 289-293.
- Identification of water-deficit responsive genes in maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) roots
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 51, Issue 2 , pp 249-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- drought stress
- gene expression
- Pinus pinaster
- reverse northern
- Industry Sectors