Gravity Anomaly During the Mohe Total Solar Eclipse and New Constraint on Gravitational Shielding Parameter
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
By using a high-precision LaCoste-Romberg gravimeter, continuous and precise measurements were carried out during the March 9, 1997 total solar eclipse in Mohe region in Northeast China. The gravity variations were digitally recorded during the total solar eclipse so as to investigate the possible anomaly of the Sun and the Moon's gravitational fields on the Earth. After the careful processing and analysis of the observed data, no significant anomaly during the very solar eclipse was found. However, there are two ‘gravity anomaly valleys’ with near symmetrical decrease of about 6 ∼ 7 μg at the first contact and the last contact. This is the anomaly phenomenon observed and reported for the first time in the literature. This paper is intended to explain the observed anomaly by conducting the tilt experiment due to the thermal stress and temperature change in the solar eclipse. A new constraint limit on gravitational shielding is thus obtained. Some analysis and discussions are presented although further studies and research are highly needed.
- Andrews, T.B.: 1997, Derivation of the Schrödinger Equation, The Present Status of the Quantum Theory of Light, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, pp. 181–192.
- Capato, M.: 1961, Observation taken at Trieste with the great horizontal pendulums at the time of the solar eclipse of February 1961, Proc IV Symp Int des Marees Terrestres, Comm. Obs. R. Belg., Series Geoph, 58, 64–65.
- Ducarme, B., Sun, H.P. and d'Oreye, N.: 1999, Interpretation of the tidal residuals during the 11 July 1991 total solar eclipse, J. Geod. 73, 53–57. CrossRef
- Eckhardt, D.H.: 1990, Majorana shielding, Bull. Inf. Bur. Gravmet. Int. 67, 195–197.
- Majorana, Q.: 1920, On gravitation: theoretical and experimental results, Phil. Mag. 39, 488–504.
- Makinen, J.: 1990, Absolute gravity measurements during the July 22, 1990 total solar eclipse in Finland, Bull. Inf. Gravimet. Int. 67, 205–209.
- Slichter, L.B., Caputo, M. and Hager, C.L.: An experiment concerning gravitational shielding, JGR 70(6), 1541–1551.
- von Kluber, H.: 1960, Review on solar elipse expeditions, Vistas Astron. 3, 47. CrossRef
- Unnikrishnan, C.S., Mohapatra, A.K. and Gillies, G.T.: 2001, Anomalous gravity data during the 1997 total solar eclipse do not support the hypothesis of gravitational shielding, Phys. Rev. D, 63, 062002.
- Wang, Qianshen et al.: 1995, Microgravimetry, Science Press, Beijing, pp. 51–53.
- Wang, Q.S., Yang, X.S., Wu, C.Z., Guo, G.H., Liu, H.C. and Hua, C.C.: 2000, Precise measurement of gravity variations during a total solar eclipse, Phys. Rev. D 62, 041101(R).
- Gravity Anomaly During the Mohe Total Solar Eclipse and New Constraint on Gravitational Shielding Parameter
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 282, Issue 1 , pp 245-253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Solar eclipse
- Majorana shielding