Odorant Binding Protein Homologues of the Malaria Mosquito Anopheles gambiae; Possible Orthologues of the OS-E and OS-F OBPs of Drosophila melanogaster
- Richard G. Vogt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Twenty-nine Anopheles gambiae candidate Odorant Binding Proteins (OBPs) were characterized for similarity to OBPs of Drosophila melanogaster and other insects. Twenty-five of these sequences were identified by BLAST searching the A. gambiae genome database. Several A. gambiae sequences were significantly similar to the D. melanogaster OBPs OS-E/OS-F, LUSH and PBPRP2/PBPRP5. Exon boundary comparisons suggests that two A. gambiae genes are orthologues of OS-E and OS-F, justifying the names AgamOS-E (EAA01090, AF437886) and AgamOS-F (EAA14641, AF437884). If these are orthologues, then the gene duplication establishing the OS-E and OS-F lineages predated the divergence of mosquitoes and flies. The identification of orthologous OBPs and other chemosensory genes between D. melanogaster and A. gambiae should accelerate the transfer of physiological and behavioral information between these two species.
- Biessmann, H., Walter, M. F., Dimitratos, S., and Woods, D. 2002. Isolation of cDNA clones encoding putative odourant binding proteins from the antennae of the malaria-transmitting mosquito. Anopheles gambiae. Insect Mol. Biol. 11:123–132.
- De Bruyne, M., Foster, K., and Carlson, J. R. 2001. Odor coding in the Drosophila antenna. Neuron 30:531–552.
- Galindo, K. and Smith, D. P. 2001. A large family of divergent Drosophila odorant-binding proteins expressed in gustatory and olfactory sensilla. Genetics 159: 1059–1072.
- Graham, L. A. and Davies, P. L. 2002. The odorant-binding proteins of Drosophila melanogaster: annotation and characterization of a divergent gene family. Gene 292:43–55.
- Hekmat-Scafe, D. S., Steinbrecht, R. A., and Carlson, J. R. 1997. Coexpression of two odorant binding protein homologs in Drosophila: implications for olfactory coding. J Neurosci. 17:1616–1624.
- Hekmat-Scafe, D. S., Dorit, R. L., and Carlson, J. R. 2000. Molecular evolution of odorant-binding protein genes OS-E and OS-F in Drosophila. Genetics 155:117–127.
- Ishida, Y., Cornel, A. J., and Leal, W. S. 2002. Identification and cloning of a female antenna-specific odorant-binding protein in the mosquito Culex quinquefasciatus. J. Chem. Ecol. 28:867–871.
- Robertson, H. M., Martos, R., Sears, C. R., Todres, E. Z., Walden, K. K., and Nardi, J. B. 1999. Diversity of odourant binding proteins revealed by an expressed sequence tag project on male Manduca sexta moth antennae. Insect Mol. Biol. 8:501–518.
- Shanbhag, S. R., Hekmat-Scafe, D., Kim, M. S., Park, S. K., Carlson, J. R., Pikielny, C., Smith, D. P., and Steinbrecht, R.A. 2001. Expression mosaic of odorant-binding proteins in Drosophila olfactory organs. Microsc. Res. Tech. 55:297–306.
- Vogt, R. G., Callahan, F. E., Rogers, M. E., and Dickens, J. C. 1999. Odorant Binding Protein Diversity and Distribution among the Insect Orders, as indicated by LAP, an OBP-related protein of the True Bug Lygus lineolaris (Hemiptera, Heteroptera). Chemical Senses 24:481–495.
- Vogt, R. G., Rogers, M. E., Franco, M. D., and Sun, M. 2002. A comparative study of odorant binding protein genes: differential expression of the PBPl-GOBP2 gene cluster in Manduca Sexta (Lepidoptera) and the organization of OBP genes in Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera). J. Exp. Biol. 205:719–744.
- Odorant Binding Protein Homologues of the Malaria Mosquito Anopheles gambiae; Possible Orthologues of the OS-E and OS-F OBPs of Drosophila melanogaster
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 28, Issue 11 , pp 2371-2376
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Odorant Binding Protein
- odor detection
- pheromone detection
- chemosensory proteins
- Anopheles gambiae
- Industry Sectors
- Richard G. Vogt (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biological Sciences, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, 29208