Cathodic decolourization of textile dyebaths: Tests with full scale plant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Direct cathodic reduction of azo dyes permits decolourization of intensively coloured textile wastewater without addition of chemicals or formation of sludge. The technique is of particular interest for the treatment of concentrated dyebaths from pad batch-dyeing with reactive dyes which contain on average about 50 g L−1 of dyestuff. On the basis of laboratory scale experiments with model dyebaths and dyebath samples from technical application a scale-up was performed. A multicathode electrolyser for a maximum cell current of 150 A successfully was tested in a dyehouse. The treatment capacity of the installed electrolyser was 1 m3 of used concentrated dyebath per day. This corresponds to the full amount of such concentrates which have to be treated in a medium sized dyehouse. By cathodic decolourization the absorbance of the concentrated dyebaths was lowered to approximately 20% of the initial value with an energy consumption of 20–25 kWh m−3.
- Regulation of the Austrian Ministry of Agriculture, ‘Limitation of the emission released from textile. nishing and textile treatment plants’, Austrian BGBL, 207 Vienna, Austria (1992).
- W.S. Perkins, W.K. Walsh, I.E. Reed and C.G. Namboodi, Text. Chem. Color. 28 (1995) 31.
- A.A. Oxspring, G. McMullan, W.F. Smyth and R. Marchant, Biotechnol. Lett. 18 (1996) 527.
- A. Wilcock, M. Brewster and W. Tincher, Am. Dyestu. Rep. 81 (1992) 15.
- K.R. Ramakrishna and T. Viraraghavan, Am. Dyestu. Rep. 85 (1996) 28.
- J. Tokuda, R. Ohura, T. Iwasaki, Y. Takeuchi, A. Kawashida and M. Nango, Text. Res. J. 69 (1999) 956.
- DyStar, Levafix®and Remazol®, High Performance Reactive Dyes for all Requirements and Processes, 0.1010-00(E/D), 6/1999, DyStar, Frankfurt, Germany.
- E. Burtscher, T. Bechtold, A. Amann, A. Turcanu and C. Schramm, Melliand Textilber. 74 (1993) 903.
- T. Bechtold, E. Burtscher and A. Turcanu, Tex. Res. J. 71 (2001)870.
- T. Bechtold, E. Burtscher and A. Turcanu, J. Chem. Technol.Biotechnol. 76 (2001) 303.
- T. Bechtold, E. Burtscher and A. Turcanu, J. Appl. Electrochem. 28 (1998) 1243.
- T. Bechtold, E. Burtscher, O. Bobleter, W. Blatt and L. Schneider, Chem. Eng. Technol. 21 (1998) 877.
- W. Blatt and L. Schneider, Melliand Textilber. 80 (1999) 624.
- Deutsche Einheitsverfahren zur Wasser-, Abwasser und Schlammuntersuchung, EN ISO 7887:1994, C1 Wasserbescha.enheit – Untersuchung und Bestimmung der Färbung (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 1994). 950.
- Cathodic decolourization of textile dyebaths: Tests with full scale plant
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 32, Issue 9 , pp 943-950
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- azo dye
- cathodic reduction
- reactive dye
- Industry Sectors