Fast and efficient adsorption/desorption of protein by a novel magnetic nano-adsorbent
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A novel magnetic nano-adsorbent was prepared by covalently binding polyacrylic acid (PAA) on Fe3O4 superparamagnetic nanoparticles (13.2 nm) via carbodiimide activation. The maximum weight ratio of PAA to Fe3O4 was 0.12 (i.e., average of two PAA molecules on a magnetic nanoparticle). The magnetic nano-adsorbent possessed a high ionic exchange capacity of 1.64 meq g−1 and was efficient for the recovery of lysozyme. The lysozyme could be completely adsorbed in 0.1 M phosphate buffer at pH 3–5 and completely desorbed in NaSCN solution (>1 M) within 1 min, and retained 95% activity after adsorption/desorption. In addition, the adsorption behavior followed the Langmuir adsorption isotherm with a maximum adsorption amount of 0.224 mg mg−1 and a Langmuir adsorption equilibrium constant of 10 ml mg−1 at 25 °C. The change of enthalpy at 15–35 °C was −4.2 kJ ml mol−1 mg−1.
- Bajpai AK (2000) Adsorption of bovine serum albumin onto glass powder surfaces coated with polyvinyl alcohol. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 78: 933-940.
- Chen DH, Wu SH (2000) Synthesis of nickel nanoparticles in waterin-oil microemulsions. Chem. Mater. 12: 1354-1360.
- Edelstein AS, Cammarata RC (1996) Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications. Bristol, UK: Institute of Physics Publishing.
- Harland CE (1994) Ion Exchange: Theory and Practice. Cambridge, UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Khng HP, Cunliffe D, Davies S, Turner NA, Vulfson EN (1998) The synthesis of sub-micron magnetic particles and their use for preparative purification of protein. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 60: 419-424.
- Liao MH, Chen DH (2001) Immobilization of yeast alcohol dehydrogenase on magnetic nanoparticles for improving its stability. Biotechnol. Lett. 23: 1723-1727.
- Lu Y, Yin Y, Mayers BT, Xia Y (2002) Modifiyng the surface properties of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles through a sol-gel approach. Nano Lett. 2: 183-186.
- Ngah WSW, Endud CS, Mayanar R (2002) Removal of copper( II) ions from aqueous solution onto chitosan and cross-linked chitosan beads. React. Funct. Polym. 50: 181-190.
- Pieters BR, Williams RA, Webb C (1992) Magnetic carrier technology. In: Williams RA, ed. Colloid and Surface Engineering: Applications in the Process Industries. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, pp. 248-286.
- Ruckenstein E, Zeng X (1997) Macroporous chitin affinity membranes for lysozyme separation. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 56: 610-617.
- Šafařrík I, Šafařríková M (1999) Use of magnetic techniques for the isolation of cells. J. Chromatogr. B722: 33-53.
- Suzawa T, Shirahama H (1991) Adsorption of plasma proteins onto polymer lattices. Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 35: 139-172.
- Wahlgren MC, Arnebrant T, Paulsson MA (1993) The adsorption from solutions of β-lactoglobulin mixed with lactoferrin or lysozyme onto silica and methylated silica surfaces. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 153: 46-53.
- Xue B, Sun Y (2002) Fabrication and characterization of a rigid magnetic matrix for protein adsorption. J. Chromatogr. A947: 185-193.
- Zadow JG, Hill RD (1975) The precipitation of proteins by carboxymethyl cellulose. J. Dairy Res. 42: 267-275.
- Zhang Y, Kohler N, Zhang M (2002) Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetic nanoparticles and their intracellular uptake. Biomaterials 23: 1553-1561.
- Fast and efficient adsorption/desorption of protein by a novel magnetic nano-adsorbent
Volume 24, Issue 22 , pp 1913-1917
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- magnetic nanoparticles
- Industry Sectors