Theoretical Consideration of Amplification Strategies
- Chad A. Shaw
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experimentalists would like to perform large-scale expression analysis on samples drawn from small cell populations and even single cells. Amplification of the source material is required to assay such small samples under all existing array technologies. In this report we consider the very different theoretical properties of linear and PCR-based amplification. A suggestion is made concerning a hybrid amplification strategy incorporating the advantages offered by both approaches.
- Van Driessche, N., Shaw, C., Katoh, M., Morio, T., Sucgang, R., Ibarra, M., Kuwayama, H., Saito, T., Urushihara, H., Maeda, M., Takeuchi, I., Eaton, W., Tollett, J., Halter, J., Kuspa, A., Tanaka, Y., and Shaulsky, G. 2002. Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a a polymerase-catalyzed chain-reaction. Development 129: 1543-1552.
- Krawczak, R. 1989. Polymerase chain reaction replication errors and reliability of gene diagnosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 17: 2197-2201.
- Wiess, G. and von Haeseler, A. 1997. A genealogical approach to the polymerase chain reaction. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3082-3087.
- Peccoud, J. and Jacob, C. 1996. Theoretical uncertainty of measurements using quantitative polymerase chain reaction. Biophys. J. 71:101-108.
- Shaw, C. A. 2001. Genealogical Methods for Multitype Branching Processes with Applications in Biology. Department of Statistics, Rice University, Houston, Texas.
- Phillips, J. and Eberwine, J. 1996. Antisense rna amplification: A linear amplification method for analyzing the mrna population from single living cells. Methods Enzymol. 10:283-288.
- Resnick. 1994. Adventures in Stochastic Processes. Birkhauser, Boston, 1994.
- Kacharmina, J., Crino, P., and Eberwine, J. 1999. Preparation of cDNA from single cells and subcellular regions. Methods Enzymol. 303:3-18.
- Mullis, K. B. and Faloona, F. A. 1987. Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a a polymerase-catalyzed chain-reaction. Methods Enzymol. 155:335-351.
- Theoretical Consideration of Amplification Strategies
Volume 27, Issue 10 , pp 1123-1131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- expression arrays
- stochastic modeling
- branching process
- Industry Sectors
- Chad A. Shaw (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Smith Medical Research Building, Houston, TX, 77030