Essential Oils as Allelochemicals and Their Potential Use as Bioherbicides
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Essential oils were extracted from 32 aromatic plants and evaluated for allelopathic properties. The major components of the oils were identified by gas chromatography and GC-MS. Extracts from Origanum syriacum, Micromeria fruticosa, and Cymbopogon citratus were selected for further study. The germination of several species, including wheat, was strongly inhibited by essential oils when applied at 20–80 ppm. Essential oils mixed with the top 0.5 cm of soil inhibited germination of wheat and Amaranthus seeds. This effect depended on the type of soil. The possible use of essential oils as herbicides is discussed.
- Asplund, R. O. 1968. Monoterpenes: Relationship between structure and inhibition of germination. Phytochemistry 7:1995–1997.
- Bonner, J. 1950. The role of toxic substances in the interaction of higher plants. Bot. Rev. 16:51–65.
- Buhler, D. D. 1996. Development of alternative weed management strategies. J. Prod. Agric. 9:501–505.
- Chou, C. H. 1986. The role of allelopathy in subtropical agroecosystems in Taiwan, pp. 57–73, in A. R. Putnam and C. S. Tang (eds.). The Science of Allelopathy. Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Chou, C. H. 1989. The role of allelopathy in phytochemical ecology, pp. 19–38, in C. H. Chou and G. R. Waller (eds.). Phytochemical Ecology: Allelochemicals, Mycotoxins and Insect Pheromones and Allomones. Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica Monograph Series No. 9, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Elakovich, S. D. 1988. Terpenoids as models for new agrochemicals, pp. 250–261, in H. G. Cutler (ed.). Biologically Active Natural Products—Potential Use in Agriculture. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.
- Fischer, N. H. 1986. The function of mono and sesquiterpenes as plant germination and growth regulators, pp. 203–218, in A. R. Putnam and C. S. Tang (eds.). The Science of Allelopathy. Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Friedman, J., and Waller, G. R. 1983. Seeds as allelopathic agents. J. Chem. Ecol. 9:1107–1117.
- Friedman, J., Orshan, G., and Ziger-Cfir, Y. 1977. Suppression of annuals by Artemisia herbaalba in the Negev Desert of Israel. J. Ecol. 65:413–426.
- Jordan, N. 1996. Weed prevention: Priority research for alternative weed management. J. Prod. Agric. 9:485–490.
- Molisch, H. 1937. Der Einfluss einer Pflanze auf die Andere—Allelopathie. Verlag G. Fischer, Jena.
- Muller, C. H., Muller, W. H., and Haines, B. L. 1964. Volatile growth inhibitors production by aromatic shrubs. Science 143:471–473.
- Muller, W. H. 1965. Volatile materials produced by Salvia leucophylla: Effect on seedling growth and soil bacteria. Bot. Gaz. 126:195–200.
- Muller, W. H. 1986. Allelochemical mechanisms in the inhibition of herbs by chaparral shrubs, pp. 189–199, in A. R. Putnam and C. S. Tang (eds.). The Science of Allelopathy. Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Putnam, A. R. 1985. Weed allelopathy, pp. 131–150, in S. O. Duke (ed.). Weed Physiology, Vol. 1. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Ravid, U., Putievsky, E., Katzir, I., Lewinsohn, E., and Dudai, N. 1997. Identification of (1R)-(+)-verbenone in essential oils of Rosmarinus officinalis L. Flavour Fragr. J. 12:109–112.
- Reynolds, T. 1987. Comparative effect of alicyclic compounds and quinones on inhibition of lettuce fruit germination. Ann. Bot. (London) 60:215–223.
- Rice, E. L. 1984. Allelopathy, 2nd ed. Academic Press, Orlando, Florida.
- Sigmund, W. 1924. Ueber die Einwirkung von Stoffwechselendprodukten auf die Pflanzen. Biochem. Z. 146:389–419.
- Waller, G. R. 1989. Allelochemical action of some natural products, pp. 129–154, in C. H. Chou and G. R. Waller (eds.). Phytochemical Ecology: Allelochemicals, Mycotoxins and Insect Pheromones and Allomones. Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica Monograph Series No. 9, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Went, F. W. 1942. The dependence of annual plants on shrubs in Southern California deserts. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 69:100–114.
- Wyse, D. L. 1994. New technologies and approaches for weed management in sustainable agriculture systems. Weed Technol. 8:403–407.
- Essential Oils as Allelochemicals and Their Potential Use as Bioherbicides
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 25, Issue 5 , pp 1079-1089
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- essential oils
- inhibition of germination
- Industry Sectors