Nematicidal Activity of Quinolizidine Alkaloids and the Functional Group Pairs in Their Molecular Structure
- Bo-Guang Zhao
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nematicidal activity of aloperine, cytisine, N-methylcytisine, and matrine was bioassayed by the agar medium method and the cotton ball method. The corresponding results from the two methods showed that the nematicidal activity of aloperine was the strongest. Its activity, expressed as log (1/ID50) was also the strongest (8.67) in comparison with the previously reported nematicidal activity of seven other quinolizidine alkaloids bioassayed by the same method. We hypothesize that the nematicidal activity of quinolizidine alkaloids is determined primarily by the types of functional group pairs and types of functional group in their molecular structures. Based on this hypothesis, alkaloids with strong nematicidal activity can be predicted on the basis of their structure.
- Bohlmann, F., Rahtz, D., and Arndt, C. 1958. Die Alkaloide aus Sophora flavescens. Chem. Ber. 91:2189.
- Cheng, H. R., Lin, M. S., Li, W. Q., and Fang, Z. D. 1983. The occurrence of pine wilt disease by a nematode found in Nanjing. For. Pest Dis. 4:1-5 (in Chinese).
- Dokachev, O. N., Monakhova, T. E., and Shheichenko, V. I. 1975. New type of alkaloids from Sophora alopecuroides L. Kim. Prir. Soedin. 11:30-37 (in Russian).
- Guo, F., and Xi, J. L. 1988. Technology in Entomological Experiments, Science Press, Beijing, pp. 377-382 (in Chinese).
- Jiang, L. Y. 1994. The history and control strategy of pine wilt disease in Japan. For. Pest Dis. 3:45-47 (in Chinese).
- Kinghorn, A. D., and Balandrin, M. F. 1984. Quindizidine alkaloids of the Leguminosae: Structural types, analysis, chemotaxonomy, and biological activities, pp. 105-146, in W. S. Pelleties (ed.). Alkaloids: Chemical and Biological Perspectives, Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Matsuda, K., Kimura, M., Komai, K., and Hamada, M. 1989. Nematicidal activities of (−)-N-methylcytisine and (−)-anagyrine from Sophora flavescens against pine wood nematodes. Agric. Biol. Chem. 53:2287-2288.
- Matsuda, K., Yamada, K., Kimura, M., and Hamada, M. 1991. Nematicidal activity of matrine and its derivatives against pine wood nematodes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:181-191.
- Morinaga, K., Veno, A., Fukushima, A., Namikishi, M., Itaka, Y., and Okuda, S. 1978. Studies on lupin alkaloids. A new stereoisomer of sophocarpine. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 26:2483-2488.
- Morita, K., and Oka, Y. 1979. Synthetic drugs containing nitrogen with special reference to classification according to functional group pair. Kagaku, Zokan Kyoto 79:141-175 (in Japanese)
- Okuda, S., Murakadi, H., and Kamata, H. 1965. Studies on lupin alkaloids. I. The minor alkaloids of Japanese Sophora flavescens. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 13:482-487.
- Silva, M. 1968. Alkaloid aus Sophora macrolarpa. Phytochemistry 40:661.
- Wang, Z. X., Du, Y. P., and Li, Y. Y. 1986. Identification of Lehmannine in Shophora alopecuroides L. Chin. Trad. Herbal Drugs 17:284 (in Chinese).
- Wang, Z. X., Zhang, S. S., and Fang, S. D. 1991. Structure of dehedroaloperine. Acta Bot. Sin. 33:727-728 (in Chinese).
- Wink, M. 1987. Quinolizidine alkaloids: biochemistry, metabolism, and function in plants and cell suspension cultures. Plant Med. 53:509-514.
- Wink, M. 1993. Quinolizidine alkaloids, pp. 197-239, in P. Waterman (ed.). Methods in Plant Biochemistry, Vol. 8. Academic Press, London.
- Zhao, B. G. 1980. A study on alkaloids of Shophora alopecarides L. Acta Pharm. Sin. 15:182-183 (in Chinese with an English abstract).
- Zhao, B. G. 1996. Nematicidal activity of aloperine against pine wood nematodes. Sci. Sin. Silv. 32:244-247 (in Chinese with an English abstract).
- Zhong, R. S. 1983. Research and Application of Shophora alopecuroides L. Ningxia People's Press, Yinchuan (in Chinese).
- Nematicidal Activity of Quinolizidine Alkaloids and the Functional Group Pairs in Their Molecular Structure
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 25, Issue 10 , pp 2205-2214
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bursaphelenchus xylophilus
- quinolizidine alkaloid
- nematicidal activity
- functional group pair
- pine wilt disease
- molecular structure
- Sophora alopecuroides L
- Industry Sectors
- Bo-Guang Zhao (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nanjiing Forestry University, Nanjing, 210037, P. R. China