Anthropic Fluctuations vs. Weak Anthropic Principle
- Milan M. Ćirković
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A modern assessment of the classical Boltzmann-Schuetz argument for large-scale entropy fluctuations as the origin of our observable cosmological domain is given.The emphasis is put on the central implication of this picture which flatly contradicts the weak anthropic principle as an epistemological statement about the universe. Therefore, to associate this picture with the anthropic principle as it is usually done is unwarranted. In particular, Feynman's criticism of theanthropic principle based on the entropy-fluctuation picture is a product of this semantic confusion.
- Bricmont, J.: 1998–1999, Science of Chaos or Chaos in Science?, Akadeemia 11: 2375–2411; 1998, 12: 2564–2588; 1999, 1: 91–106 [in Estonian]. English version is published in Physicalia Magazine 1995, 3–4: 159–208.
- Engelbrecht, J.: 1999, There is Order and Debates About Order in Science, Akadeemia 1: 107–112 [in Estonian].
- Näpinen, L.: 1983a, On Using the Terminology of Darwinism in Contemporary Mathematical Natural Science. In K. Paaver and T. Sutt (eds.), Voprosy sovremennogo darvinisma (Questions of Contemporary Darwinism). Tartu: The Institute of Zoology and Botany of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, 90–101 [in Russian].
- Näpinen, L.: 1983b, On “Non-Classicalness” of Synergetics (To Question on Changing of Conceptual Structure of Science in Modern Culture), Acta et Commentationes Universitatis Tartuensis 653: 29–43 [in Russian].
- Näpinen, L.: 1998, The Problem of Integral Understanding of theWorld in Synergetics, Acta Universitatis Scientiarum Socialium et Artis Educandi Tallinnensis A8: 49–63 [in Estonian. Summary in English: 63].
- Näpinen, L.: 2001, The Problem of the Relationship Between Human and Physical Realities in Ilya Prigogine's Paradigm of Self-Organisation. In R. Vihalemm (ed.), Estonian Studies in the History and Philosophy of Science. Dordrecht/Boston/London: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 151–164 (the series: Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science, vol. 219).
- Prigogine, I.: 1980, From Being to Becoming: Time and Complexity in the Physical Sciences. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman & Co.
- Prigogine, I.: 1989, ‘The Philosophy of Instability’, Futures August 1989: 396–400.
- Prigogine, I.: 1997, The End of Certainty: Time, Chaos, and the New Laws of Nature. In collaboration with Isabelle Stengers. New York, London, Toronto, Sydney, Singapore: The Free Press.
- Prigogine, I.: 1998, Grasping the Reality, Priroda (Nature) 6: 4–11 [in Russian].
- Prigogine, I. and I. Stengers: 1977, ‘The New Alliance’, Part One: From Dynamics to Thermodynamics: Physics, the Gradual Opening towards the World of Natural Processes', Scientia 112: 287–318; Part Two: ‘An Extended Dynamics: towards a Human Science of Nature’, Scientia 112: 643–653.
- Prigogine, I. and I. Stengers: 1984, Order out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature. Toronto, New York, London, Sydney: Bantam Books.
- Toffler, A.: 1984, Foreword: Science and Change. In I. Prigogine and I. Stengers (eds.), Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature. Toronto, New York, London, Sydney: Bantam Books, pp. xvii–xxxii.
- Vihalemm, R.: 1995a, The Limits of Science or Its Actual Beginning?: On Ilya Prigogine's Treatment of Science, Akadeemia 12: 2527–2540 [in Estonian. Summary in English: 2659–2660].
- Vihalemm, R.: 1995b, Some Comments on a Naturalistic Approach to the Philosophy of Science, Studia Philosophica II(38). Tartu: Department of Philosophy: 9–18.
- Vihalemm, R.: 1999, Can Chemistry Be Handled as Its Own Type of Science? In N. Psarros and K. Gavroglu (eds.), Ars Mutandi: Issues in Philosophy and History of Chemistry. Leipzig: Leipziger Universitätsverlag, 83–88.
- Vihalemm, R. and L. Näpinen: 1986, On Dialectical Nature of Synergetic Theories (Philosophical Meaning of Studies of I. Prigogine's School), Acta et Commentationes Universitatis Tartuensis 731: 108–124 [in Russian].
- Vihalemm, R. and L. Näpinen: 1987, The Principle of Historicity in I. Prigogine's Scientific Programme (On Contradiction Between Classical Scientific World Picture and Historical Reality), Acta et Commentationes Universitatis Tartuensis 786: 24–38 [in Russian].
- Anthropic Fluctuations vs. Weak Anthropic Principle
Foundations of Science
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 453-463
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- arrow of time
- anthropic principle
- philosophy of cosmology
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Astronomical Observatory of Belgrade, Volgina 7, 11160, Belgrade, Serbia, Yugoslavia