New SnO2 Nano-Clusters Obtained by Sol-Gel Route, Structural Characterization and Their Gas Sensing Applications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
SnO2 is a well known and widely studied sensor material for the detection of CO and flammable gases like H2. Here we discuss the use of porous networks of SnO2 nanoparticles for an optical detection of the reducing gas CO. Nano-sized SnO2 clusters were prepared by the sol-gel method using an organically modified Sn precursor. After thermal treatment at 550°C the mean diameters of the primary SnO2 nanoparticles constructing the network were estimated to ∼25 nm and ∼15 nm, respectively, for particles obtained in acid and basic catalysis. The reversible redox behavior of SnO2 nano-clusters in reducing and oxidizing atmospheres (CO, O2) was studied optically by in-situ DR-UV/VIS spectroscopy.
- C. Sanchez and F. Ribot, New J. Chem. 18, 1007 (1994).
- C.J. Brinker and G.W. Scherer, Sol-Gel Science: The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing (Academic Press, San Diego, 1990) ch. 2 and 9.
- M.J. Hampden-Smith, T.A. Wark, and C.J. Brinker, Coord. Chem. Rev. 112, 81 (1992).
- F. Ribot, F. Banse, C. Sanchez, M. Lahcini, and B. Jousseaume, J. Sol-Gel Sci. and Tech. 8, 529 (1997).
- D. Dakternieks, H. Zhu, E.R.T. Tiekink, and R. Colton, J. Organomet. Chem. 476, 33 (1994).
- G.B. Barbi, J.P. Santos, P. Serrini, P.N. Gibson, M.C. Harillo, and L. Manes, Sens. and Actuators B 25, 559 (1995).
- M. Warnken, K. Lazar, and M. Wark, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 3, 1870 (2001).
- Z. Zhang, Y. Yin, B. Gates, and Y. Xia, Adv. Mater. 12, 206 (2000).
- M. Ocana and E. Matijevic, J. Mater. Res. 5, 1083 (1990).
- F. Quaranta, R. Rella, P. Sicliano, S. Capone, M. Epifani, L. Vasenelli, A. Licciuli, and A. Zocco, Sens. and Actuators B 58, 350 (1999).
- K. Wada and M. Egashira, Sens. and Actuators B 62, 211 (2000).
- C. Xu, J. Tamaki, N. Miura, and N. Yamazoe, Sens. and Actuators B 3, 147 (1991).
- A. Jitianu, J. Rathousky, M. Wark, and A. Zukal, unpublished results.
- H. Weller, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 32, 41 (1993).
- New SnO2 Nano-Clusters Obtained by Sol-Gel Route, Structural Characterization and Their Gas Sensing Applications
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 26, Issue 1-3 , pp 483-488
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- SnO2 nanoparticles
- sol-gel process
- gas sensing properties
- reducing DR/UV-Vis
- Industry Sectors