Geographic Variation in Sex Pheromone of Asian Corn Borer, Ostrinia furnacalis, in Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Geographic variation in the sex pheromone of the Asian corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis (Guenée), was surveyed in populations sampled at four locations ranging from 39.7°N to 32.9°N in Japan. The sex pheromone of the three northern populations was composed of (E)- and (Z)-12-tetradecenyl acetates with a mean E proportion of 36–39%. The southernmost population (Nishigoshi) had the same components but with a significantly higher E composition of 44%. The frequency distribution of the E ratio in the Nishigoshi population exhibited a small peak near 38% and a major peak near 46%. A family-wise analysis of the sex pheromone of this population confirmed that there were two distinct phenotypes regarding the E ratio. An “≍46% E strain” inhabits southern parts of Japan, in addition to an “≍38% E strain,” which seems to be predominant in other regions of Japan.
- Ando, T., Saito, O., Arai, K., and Takahashi, N. 1980. (Z)–and (E)–12–Tetradecenyl acetates: Sex pheromone components of oriental corn borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Agric. Biol. Chem. 44:2643–2649.
- CardÉ, R. T., Roelofs, W. L., Harrison, R. H., Vawter, A. T., Brussard, P. F., Mutuura, A., and Munroe, E. 1978. European corn borer: Pheromone polymorphism or sibling species? Science 199:555–556.
- Cheng, Z. Q., Xiao, J. C., Huang, X. T., Chen, D. L., Li, Q. J., He, Y. S., Huang, S. R., Luo, Q. C., Yang, C. M., and Yang, T. H. 1981. Sex pheromone components isolated from China corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis, Guenée (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae), (E)–and (Z)–12–tetradecenyl acetates. J. Chem. Ecol. 7:841–851.
- Huang, Y., Tatsuki, S., Kim, C., Hoshizaki, S., Yoshiyasu, Y., Honda, H., and Ishikawa, Y. 1997. Identification of sex pheromone of adzuki bean borer, Ostrinia scapulalis. J. Chem. Ecol. 23:2791–2802.
- Huang, Y., Tatsuki, S., Kim, C., Hoshizaki, S., and Ishikawa, Y. 1998. Identification of the sex pheromone of Ostrinia palustralis. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 86:313–318.
- Klun, J. A., and Cooperators 1975. Insect sex pheromones: Intraspecific pheromonal variability of Ostrinia nubilalis in North America and Europe. Environ. Entomol. 4:891–894.
- Klun, J. A., Bierl–Leonhardt, B. A., Schwarz, M., Litsinger, J. A., Barrion, A. T., Chiang, H. C., and Jiang, Z. 1980. Sex pheromone of the Asian corn borer moth. Life. Sci. 27:1603–1606.
- Kochansky, J., CardÉ, R. T., Liebherr, J., and Roelofs, W. L. 1975. Sex pheromone of the European corn borer, Ostrinia nubilalis (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae), in New York. J. Chem. Ecol. 1:225–231.
- Kou, R., Ho, H. Y., Yang, H. T., Chow, Y. S., and Wu, H. J. 1992. Investigation of sex pheromone components of female Asian corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in Taiwan. J. Chem. Ecol. 18:833–840.
- Roelofs, W., Glover, T., Tang, X. H., Sreng, I., Robbins, P., Eckenrode, C., LÖfstedt, C., Hansson, B. S., and Bengtsson, B. O. 1987. Sex pheromone production and perception in European corn borer moths is determined by both autosomal and sex–linked genes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 84:7585–7589.
- Geographic Variation in Sex Pheromone of Asian Corn Borer, Ostrinia furnacalis, in Japan
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 24, Issue 12 , pp 2079-2088
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ostrinia furnacalis
- sex pheromone
- (E)-12-tetradecenyl acetate
- (Z)-12-tetradecenyl acetate
- field trap experiment
- geographic variation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Applied Entomology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, 113-8657, Japan
- 2. Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, 305-8572, Japan
- 3. Laboratory of Entomology, Kyoto Prefectural University, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-0823, Japan