Preparation of ZnO Nanoparticles: Structural Study of the Molecular Precursor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The structure of zinc acetate derived precursor currently used in the sol-gel synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles is described. The reaction products obtained before and after reflux of ethanolic zinc acetate solution have been studied by UV-Vis, photoluminescence, FTIR and EXAFS at the Zn K edge. EXAFS results evidence for both precursor solutions a change from the octahedral coordination sphere of oxygen atoms characteristic of the solid zinc acetate dihydrate compound into a four-fold environment. The EXAFS spectra of precursor solutions can be satisfactorily reproduced using the molecular structure reported for Zn4O(Ac)6 (Ac = COOCH3). UV-Vis and FTIR measurements are also in agreement with the formation of this oligomeric precursor. The structural modification is more pronounced after reflux at 80°C, because the increase of the Zn4O(Ac)6 amount and the formation of nearly 3.0 nm sized ZnO nanoparticle.
- M.L. Cohen, Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci. 30, 1 (2000).
- L.E. Brus, J. Phys. Chem. 90, 2555 (1986).
- T.K. Gupta, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 73, 1817 (1990).
- M.S. Tokumoto, A. Smith, C.V. Santilli, S.H. Pulcinelli, E. Elkaim, and V. Briois, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 273, 302 (2000).
- E.A. Meulenkamp, J. Phys. Chem. B 102, 5566 (1998).
- L. Spanhel and M.A. Anderson, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 113, 2826 (1991).
- S. Sakohara, M. Ishida, and M.A. Anderson, J. Phys. Chem. B 102, 10169 (1998).
- M.S. Tokumoto, S.H. Pulcinelli, C.V. Santilli, and A.F. Craievich, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 247, 176 (1999).
- C.J. Brinker and G.W. Scherer, Sol-Gel Science: The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing (Academic Press, San Diego, 1990), ch. 1.
- J. Mustre de Leon, J.J. Rehr, S.I. Zabinsky, and R.C. Albers, Phys Rev B 44, 4146 (1991).
- N. Newville, B. Ravel, D. Haskel, J.J. Rehr, E.A. Stern, and Y. Yacoby, Physica B 208/209, 154 (1995).
- W. Clegg, I.R. Little, and B.P. Straughan, Acta Cryst. C 42, 1701 (1986).
- L. Hiltunen, M. Leskelä, M. Mäkelä, and L. Niinistö, Acta Chem. Scand. A 41, 548 (1987).
- H. Kunkely and A. Vogler, J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 17, 1204 (1990).
- S.C. Abrahams and J.L. Bernstein, Acta Cryst. B 25, 1233 (1969).
- Preparation of ZnO Nanoparticles: Structural Study of the Molecular Precursor
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 26, Issue 1-3 , pp 547-551
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- sol-gel precursor
- ZnO nanoparticles
- Industry Sectors