The ‘Platforms’ for Comparing Incommensurable Taxonomies: A Cognitive-Historical Analysis
- Xiang Chen
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper examines taxonomy comparison from a cognitive perspective. Arguments are developed by drawing on the results of cognitive psychology, which reveal the cognitive mechanisms behind the practice of taxonomy comparison. The taxonomic change in 19th-century ornithology is also used to uncover the historical practice that ornithologists employed in the revision of the classification of birds. On the basis of cognitive and historical analyses, I argue that incommensurable taxonomies can be compared rationally. Using a frame model to represent taxonomy, I show how rational comparisons were achieved in the historical case through compatible contrast sets and attribute lists. Through analyzing the cognitive processes of classification and concept representation, I further explain how rival taxonomies in the historical case could be rationally compared on ‘platforms’ rooted in such cognitive mechanisms as relational assumptions and preferences for body parts in conceptual processing.
- Andersen, H., Barker, P. and Chen, X.: 1996, 'Kuhn's Mature Philosophy of Science and Cognitive Psychology', Philosophical Psychology 9, 347-363.
- Baird, S.: 1858, Birds. Reports of Explorations and Surveys, to Ascertain the Most Practicable and Economic Route for a Railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean, Vol. 9, Part 2, B. Tucker, Washington, D.C.
- Barsalou, L.: 1992, 'Frames, Concepts, and Conceptual Fields', in A. Lehrer and E. Kittay (eds), Frames, Fields and Contrasts: New Essays in Semantical and Lexical Organization, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 21-74.
- Barsalou, L.: 1999a, 'Perceptual Symbol Systems', Behavioral and Brain Sciences 22, 577-609.
- Barsalou, L.: 1999b, 'Perceptions of Perceptual Symbols', Behavioral and Brain Sciences 22, 637-660.
- Barsalou, L. and Hale, C.: 1993, 'Components of Conceptual Representation: From Featurelists to Recursive Frames', in I. Mechelen, J. Hampton, R. Michalski and P. Theuns (eds), Categories and Concepts: Theoretical Views and Inductive Data Analysis, Academic Press, New York, pp. 97-144.
- Barsalou, L., Solomon, K. and Wu, L.: 1999, 'Perceptual Simulation in Conceptual Tasks', in M. Hiraga, C. Sinha and S. Wilcox (eds), Cultural, Typological, and Psychological Perspectives in Cognitive Linguistics: the Proceedings of the 4th Conference of the International Cognitive Linguistics Association, Vol. 3, John Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 209-228.
- Brown, C.: 1976, 'General Principles of Human Anatomical Partonomy and Speculations on the Growth of Partonomic Nomenclature', American Ethnologist 3, 400-424.
- Chen, X.: 1994, 'Why Do Scientists Have Disagreements about Experiment?: Incommensurability in the Use of Goalderived Categories', Perspectives on Science 2, 275-301.
- Chen, X.: 1997, 'Thomas Kuhn's Latest Notion of Incommensurability', Journal for General Philosophy of Science 28, 257-273. CrossRef
- Chen, X., Andersen, H. and Barker, P.: 1998, 'Kuhn's Theory of Scientific Revolutions and Cognitive Psychology', Philosophical Psychology 11, 528. CrossRef
- Chen, X. and Barker, P.: 2000, 'Continuity Through Revolutions: A Framebased Account of Conceptual Change During Scientific Revolutions', Philosophy of Science 67, 208-223. 22 XIANG CHEN CrossRef
- Farber, P.: 1997, The Emergence of Ornithology as a Scientific Discipline: 1760-1850, D. Reidel, Boston.
- Gadow, H.: 1892, 'On the Classification of Birds', Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1892, 229-256.
- Grandy, R.: 1992, 'Semantic Fields, Prototypes, and the Lexicon', in A. Lehrer and E. Kittay (eds), Frames, Fields, and Contrast: New Essays in Semantic and Lexical Organization, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, pp. 103-122.
- Hull, D.: 1988, Science as a Process: An Evolutionary Account of the Social and Conceptual Development of Science, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Kay, P.: 1971, 'Taxonomy and Semantic Contrast', Language 47, 866-887. CrossRef
- Kuhn, T.: 1989, 'Possible Worlds in History of Science', in S. Allen (ed.), Possible Worlds in Humanities, Arts and Sciences, Walter de Gruyter, New York, pp. 9-32.
- Kuhn, T.: 1990, 'An Historian's Theory of Meaning', Talk to cognitive science colloquium, UCLA. Unpublished manuscript.
- Kuhn, T.: 1991, 'The Road since Structure', in A. Fine, M. Forbes and L. Wessels (eds), PSA 1990, Vol. 2, Philosophy of Science Association, East Lansing, pp. 3-13.
- Kuhn, T.: 1993, 'Afterwords', in P. Horwich (ed.), World Changes, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 311-341.
- Newton, A.: 1893, A Dictionary of Birds, Adam and Charles Black, London.
- Parker, W. K.: 1863, 'On the Systematic Position of the Crested Screamers (Palamedea Chavaria)', Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 4, 511-518.
- Putnam, H.: 1975, 'The Meaning of 'Meaning'', in K. Gunderson (ed.),Language, Mind and Knowledge, Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Vol. 7, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, pp. 215-271.
- Ray, J.: 1678, The Ornithology of Francis Willughby, John Martyn, London.
- Rosch, E., Mervis, C., Gray, W., Johnson, D. and Boyes-Braem, P.: 1976,'Basic Objects in Natural Categories', Cognitive Psychology 8, 382-439. CrossRef
- Sibley, C. and Ahlquist, J.: 1990, Phylogeny and Classification of Birds: A Study in Molecular Evolution, Yale University Press, New Haven.
- Stresemann, E.: 1975, Ornithology: From Aristotle to the Present, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Sundevall, C.: 1889, Sundevall's Tentamen, Porter, London.
- Tversky, B. and Hemenway, K.: 1984, Objects, Parts, and Categories, Journal of Experimental Psychology: General 113, 169-193. CrossRef
- Winston, M., Chaffin, R. and Herrmann, D.: 1987, 'A Taxonomy of Partwhole Relations', Cognitive Science 11, 417-444. Department of Philosophy California Lutheran University 60 West Olsen Road Thousand Oaks, CA 91360–2787 USA CrossRef
- The ‘Platforms’ for Comparing Incommensurable Taxonomies: A Cognitive-Historical Analysis
Journal for General Philosophy of Science
Volume 33, Issue 1 , pp 1-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- theory choice
- Xiang Chen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, California Lutheran University, 60 West Olsen Road, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91360–2787, USA